Brewer Fanatic

Rules Question

MVP2110
Hey guys, so this discussion came up with my dad today regarding the rule that a starting pitcher needs to go 5 innings to get a win. Do those innings need to be consecutive? Or could, for example, a pitcher pitch 4 2/3 innings, then a power lefty is up so the manager takes out an outfielder and moves the starting pitcher to the outfield so that a lefty can come in to get the final out and then the starter picks up where he left off?

Hey guys, so this discussion came up with my dad today regarding the rule that a starting pitcher needs to go 5 innings to get a win. Do those innings need to be consecutive? Or could, for example, a pitcher pitch 4 2/3 innings, then a power lefty is up so the manager takes out an outfielder and moves the starting pitcher to the outfield so that a lefty can come in to get the final out and then the starter picks up where he left off?

Making that move is within the rules, but the lefty getting the final out of the 5th would get the win.

Making that move is within the rules, but the lefty getting the final out of the 5th would get the win.

That's generally how it works, but I think the scorer has some discretion on who to give the win. I specifically remember once this year Hader pitched maybe the 7th and 8th inning and was given the win over whoever completed the 5th inning.

That's generally how it works, but I think the scorer has some discretion on who to give the win. I specifically remember once this year Hader pitched maybe the 7th and 8th inning and was given the win over whoever completed the 5th inning.

Yeah, you're right. I forgot about the official scorer judgement call thing because it rarely happens. I suppose if the starting pitcher came back in as a reliever in the 6th after moving to the OF after 5 2/3 innings, there may be a good chance they would be awarded the win then. Of course, it depends on the situation.

This is just the type of weird move i could see Counsell doing, though. Say Woodruff is cruising in the Wild Card game, but a dangerous lefty power hitter who has good career numbers against him, comes up with 2 outs in the 5th inning ... then I could see Counsell going to Claudio for one batter before Woody comes back out for the 6th. You be wasting a position player by moving Woody to LF for one AB though.

I am pretty sure the starting pitcher cannot re-enter the game as the pitcher if they move positions. Intent is to prevent the little league strategy where your ace faces the top of the order but then a lesser pitcher just faces the bottom and they keep switching back and forth.

I am pretty sure the starting pitcher cannot re-enter the game as the pitcher if they move positions. Intent is to prevent the little league strategy where your ace faces the top of the order but then a lesser pitcher just faces the bottom and they keep switching back and forth.

I guess not. The pitcher can only "re-enter" as the pitcher once per inning but can do that every inning

Counsell? Try Joe Maddon. Not only would he do that, he has- more than once.

I was thinking that too. I'm going to be very sad when the Cubs don't extend him.

Why? He's a good manager and almost every time he's done this move it has worked out.

Maddon gets a bad rap and he's not perfect, but Epstein is overrated. He's saddled the Cubs with generally bad bullpens and bad contracts like Jason Heyward.

Archived