Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-18: Brewers (Anderson) at Nationals (Fedde) [Brewers lose, 16-8 -- Rough start for Chase Anderson w/ 10 ER in just 2.1 IP]

Eye Black
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Brewers team bullpen era this year ranks 16th in baseball at 4.65.....for reference that same era would’ve ranked 27th last year. The ball is a joke. Mandred is lying. I’m a 20 something wishing baseball would be like it was in the 80s.

Mannfred admitted the ball was "different" than last years, but chalked it up to the fact that the balls are hand made, and there can be minor differences from year to year with hand made products.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't want Chase back next year. He is exactly what we need to be trying to improve on. This organization needs to be forward looking about the pitching problems and the Chacin and Anderson of the world aren't quite good enough.

At this rate the free agent pool doesn't look great for us, as usual. Have to think Cole is going to the Yankees and Ryu will be retained by the Dodgers. Then you have Wheeler? Everyone beyond that has huge question marks. Maybe Cleveland will give Kluber away as salary relief? Stearns has his work cut out for him with very little to trade with.

Targeting Kluber (assuming he is healthy & effective) to help the 2020 rotation makes sense. A lot of that comes down to how Kluber performs after he returns from his broken pitching arm. Kluber is getting his 3rd rehab start today in AAA & is likely to be activated to start for Cleveland vs KC on Friday 8/23/19.

My question to you - why do you think Cleveland is looking to "give Kluber away as salary relief"?

Most of that salary trimming has already been done. The final step is already known (declining the Kipnis 2020 option).

The final 2018 payroll was in the neighborhood of $145M. Since the end of 2018, Cleveland has allowed Brantley, Andrew Miller & Cody Allen to walk (all without a QO) to trim some payroll. That was roughly $32M off the 2018 payroll for reallocation.

Then they dealt away Edwin E for a cheaper contract in Carlos Santana (& money to pay part of the contract in 2019 & 2020). They also dealt away Yan Gomes during last off season (recouping money in 2019, 2020 & 2021 for better allocation).

During this season Bauer was moved for a cheaper (& expiring) contract in Puig & 4 other pieces. That move should save roughly $18-$20M instead of Arb4 for Bauer in 2020. After this season the buyout will be exercised on Kipnis (at $2.5M) instead of picking up the $16.5M option, producing another $14M for reallocation.

It seems the Tribe sweet spot for payroll is between $115M and $125M and they appear to be on track for that while holding onto Kluber.

Now I could see Cleveland dealing Kluber if they get the right return (like they did with Bauer) but I do not see salary relief as the primary motivation (unless its freeing money AFTER Lindor signs a multi-year extension buying out the 2 remaining arbitration seasons and 2 more free agent years)..

The list of pitchers who are so much better under Chris Hook's tutelage is down to one name: Adrian Houser.

It’ll only take a few more starts for that to change I’m sure.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I don't want Chase back next year. He is exactly what we need to be trying to improve on. This organization needs to be forward looking about the pitching problems and the Chacin and Anderson of the world aren't quite good enough.

At this rate the free agent pool doesn't look great for us, as usual. Have to think Cole is going to the Yankees and Ryu will be retained by the Dodgers. Then you have Wheeler? Everyone beyond that has huge question marks. Maybe Cleveland will give Kluber away as salary relief? Stearns has his work cut out for him with very little to trade with.

Targeting Kluber (assuming he is healthy & effective) to help the 2020 rotation makes sense. A lot of that comes down to how Kluber performs after he returns from his broken pitching arm. Kluber is getting his 3rd rehab start today in AAA & is likely to be activated to start for Cleveland vs KC on Friday 8/23/19.

My question to you - why do you think Cleveland is looking to "give Kluber away as salary relief"?

Most of that salary trimming has already been done. The final step is already known (declining the Kipnis 2020 option).

The final 2018 payroll was in the neighborhood of $145M. Since the end of 2018, Cleveland has allowed Brantley, Andrew Miller & Cody Allen to walk (all without a QO) to trim some payroll. That was roughly $32M off the 2018 payroll for reallocation.

Then they dealt away Edwin E for a cheaper contract in Carlos Santana (& money to pay part of the contract in 2019 & 2020). They also dealt away Yan Gomes during last off season (recouping money in 2019, 2020 & 2021 for better allocation).

During this season Bauer was moved for a cheaper (& expiring) contract in Puig & 4 other pieces. That move should save roughly $18-$20M instead of Arb4 for Bauer in 2020. After this season the buyout will be exercised on Kipnis (at $2.5M) instead of picking up the $16.5M option, producing another $14M for reallocation.

It seems the Tribe sweet spot for payroll is between $115M and $125M and they appear to be on track for that while holding onto Kluber.

Now I could see Cleveland dealing Kluber if they get the right return (like they did with Bauer) but I do not see salary relief as the primary motivation (unless its freeing money AFTER Lindor signs a multi-year extension buying out the 2 remaining arbitration seasons and 2 more free agent years)..

I'm just speculating at possibilities-they were reported to be looking at dealing more than one starter last off season and will be "losing" crap boy Puig next year. My overall theme was more so we'll likely sign a mid-range starter for more than they're worth per the usual reaction because we can't develop pitching.

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

And of course the 6th place hitter stands 5 runners in the first 3 innings. Cool.

Gotta think Pina is also let go this winter.

Meanwhile Freitas is hitting almost .400 at AAA.

Backup catchers that have a .730 OPS and play + defense aren't all that common. Pina isn't the problem on this team.

If Freitas came up and hit .275 I'd be surprised. Saladino tore up AAA as well.

Freitas hitting 70-100 points higher than Saladino all year, that’s quite a massive difference.

No way they get rid of Pina, he’s a good backup C.

CC is a genius starting Gamel over Braun today.

Pina’s catcher ERA taking a hit today.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Backup catchers that have a .730 OPS and play + defense aren't all that common. Pina isn't the problem on this team.

If Freitas came up and hit .275 I'd be surprised. Saladino tore up AAA as well.

Freitas hitting 70-100 points higher than Saladino all year, that’s quite a massive difference.

No way they get rid of Pina, he’s a good backup C.

Im good with giving Freitas a shot if someone gets hurt but theres a lot of talent evaluators that think a 30 yo journeyman catcher hasn't had what it takes to hit hig league pitching. We can all look at aaa stats and anoint the guy an all-star but theres reasons 30 year old dudes are hanging out hitting .300 in the minors.

Archived