Brewer Fanatic

Aaron Wilkerson and Jay Jackson recalled...Ray Black and Freddy optioned

Brewcrewin07

no surprises that fresh bullpen arms have been recalled. jay jackson and aaron wilkerson recalled. ray black and freddy peralta optioned.

important to note:

if jay jackson is not optioned again in 2019, he will not burn his first minor league option, as he will not have spent 20 days optioned to the minor leagues (he has spent the majority of the season in the minors not on the club's 40-man roster).

if freddy peralta spends less than 20 days optioned, he will not burn his option and will enter 2020 spring training with two minor league options remaining. peralta can easily meet the 10-day requisite stay and then be recalled when rosters can expand in september.

Really starting to think the Brewers messed it up with Peralta and elevated him too quickly to the majors.

78 1/3 innings at High A

68 1/3 innings at AA

61 innings at AAA

It sure was fun to watch that 13 strikeout debut. But he was still only 21 years old and didn't have much other than a fastball.

The guy is talented, but have to wonder if the best thing for him might be to have him in AA and AAA for all of 2020 to continue to work with, and develop some confidence, in those secondary pitches. Hader's one-trick is good enough where he can get by with it if he's locating his pitches properly. I don't think that same thing applies to Peralta.

All that said, have to give Turner credit for the homer that he hit off Peralta last night. I thought Freddy made a pretty good pitch and Turner did an excellent job of going down there and getting it. Coaching staff cannot allow Freddy to lose his confidence in the curveball when things like that happen.

Surprised they were able to get them there in time.

i haven't seen any confirmation of either player reporting yet. advantageous in that dca, iad and bwi all are within 45 - 60 minutes of nationals park.

The Brewers are in a playoff race and I have to believe one of the limited partners in the ownership group has access to a private jet.

I don't think Counsell gave either one a chance last night he should've yanked both when both were in trouble. Didn't do those two any favors. He should've at least went to the mound to go over things. Counsell reminds me of Yost in some ways.

How he has a 40-man spot has always been something I’ve wondered.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I'm sure he's at his best when he has to pack his bags on a moment's notice and take an overnight or 6am flight, travel halfway across the country, and rush to the ballpark. Which has been about 2/3rds of his career appearances.

Really starting to think the Brewers messed it up with Peralta and elevated him too quickly to the majors.

78 1/3 innings at High A

68 1/3 innings at AA

61 innings at AAA

It sure was fun to watch that 13 strikeout debut. But he was still only 21 years old and didn't have much other than a fastball.

The guy is talented, but have to wonder if the best thing for him might be to have him in AA and AAA for all of 2020 to continue to work with, and develop some confidence, in those secondary pitches. Hader's one-trick is good enough where he can get by with it if he's locating his pitches properly. I don't think that same thing applies to Peralta.

All that said, have to give Turner credit for the homer that he hit off Peralta last night. I thought Freddy made a pretty good pitch and Turner did an excellent job of going down there and getting it. Coaching staff cannot allow Freddy to lose his confidence in the curveball when things like that happen.

Peralta has a little-league, big sweeping, frisbee type curve. Easy to spot for a hitter and hard to throw for a strike when he needs it. He has to learn a slider or an over-hand curve (12-6 rather than side-to-side) and a change-up. I too think he came up way to fast due to the Brewers' great need for pitching. I think you're right about keeping him down in AAA all of 2020. He has to learn how to be a pitcher and how to throw his off-speed pitches.

I think Wilkerson will be on tonight’s flight back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see him DFA'd immediately after the game. They have a need for spots on the 40 man roster and losing Wilkerson won't be any loss.

I'm sure he's at his best when he has to pack his bags on a moment's notice and take an overnight or 6am flight, travel halfway across the country, and rush to the ballpark. Which has been about 2/3rds of his career appearances.

Sure but hasnt shown enough to warrant any better.

I see him DFA'd immediately after the game. They have a need for spots on the 40 man roster and losing Wilkerson won't be any loss.

Wilkerson is the type of guy I could see catching on with a bad team and getting a shot, and traded to the Brewers at the deadline next year.

it's more likely that he will be optioned. the brewers only have three pitchers on the 40-man right now who can be recalled without an injury to another player: corbin burnes, trey supak and taylor williams. jake faria has to stay down for at least five more days.

the brewers just have too many pitchers on the disabled list to risk removing wilkerson from the roster at this point. couple that with the fact that the additions of trent grisham and hernan perez came at the expense of removing two pitchers from the 40-man roster.

since the trading deadline, every pitcher with major league experience that the brewers have tried to outright has been claimed by another team--as it's the only way to acquire players with big league experience in 2019. wilkerson would likely be claimed if the brewers tried to outright him.

the brewers only have two off days all of september. it's going to be an all-hands-on-deck situation come september.

yes, 40-man spots will be needed (case in point with cory spangenberg nearly joining the team yesterday) . . . but given the uncertainty with all of the injured pitchers, i think wilkerson is safe until the off-season, and given that he'll have an option, he may break 2020 camp still on the 40-man.

it's more likely that he will be optioned. the brewers only have three pitchers on the 40-man right now who can be recalled without an injury to another player: corbin burnes, trey supak and taylor williams. jake faria has to stay down for at least five more days.

we now know that corbin burnes has likely been unavailable for recall as he's been sent to the brewers' pitching lab. this helps explain why wilkerson still has a 40-man spot, as jake faria has still yet to meet the requisite 10-day stay in the minor leagues.

Wilkerson DFA? But he dominates AAA, I know I've read from an expert source here that if given the chance in the bigs he'd be really great. Opening day Wilkerson/Freitas battery for the title.

In all honesty, while I don't think it would be a loss to DFA he's also not the worst guy to have around in the role he's in now as emergency depth to eat innings.

Archived