Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-17: Brewers (Lyles) at Nationals (Sánchez) [Brewers win, 15-14 in 14 innings -- WHAT. A. WILD. GAME!]

Eye Black

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We might need to fire up the ole Ryan Braun Appreciation thread. What a second half this guy is having. Yelich could take a couple of pointers from the old man.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

We might need to fire up the ole Ryan Braun Appreciation thread. What a second half this guy is having. Yelich could take a couple of pointers from the old man.

Ryan Braun was probably the most impressive player yesterday. Guys were swinging out of the zone pathetically often. I get Corbin is good, but there were ABs that were almost entirely on pitches out of the zone. Guys just couldn’t resist swinging even when obvious they weren’t going to get good pitches unless they had some discipline.

11/18 of their outs with Corbin on the mound were on pitches outside the zone. It would be even uglier if you counted the pitches they went after outside the zone vs. in the zone.

Brewers are dead last in the NL in average with RISP at .242.

Almost 10 points lower than the next team. Miami at .251

And with 2 outs and RISP they are even worse at .232

Moose(.194)

Arcia(.224)

Cain(.227)

Are the worst on the squad.

Ryan Braun was probably the most impressive player yesterday. Guys were swinging out of the zone pathetically often. I get Corbin is good, but there were ABs that were almost entirely on pitches out of the zone. Guys just couldn’t resist swinging even when obvious they weren’t going to get good pitches unless they had some discipline.

11/18 of their outs with Corbin on the mound were on pitches outside the zone. It would be even uglier if you counted the pitches they went after outside the zone vs. in the zone.

This is why his albatross contract still doesn't really bother me. I'd rather have the untied money, but that deal could be so much worse. He is still a productive player and a professional AB almost always. I'm not saying it's ideal, but I still always feel like when he comes up to bat when you need a hit, he's at least going to make the pitcher work. I've just never dreaded his spot in the order like I have with so many over the years.

Just looked at his stats after reading this, he already has as many hits as he did in 2018 and one more than 2017. Would like to see a few more dingers though for as healthy as he has been and all the talk about launch angle and batting stance. He has a 12 game hitting streak in games he has started.

Moose(.194)

Arcia(.224)

Cain(.227)

They may be one of the worst over the last 10 years with RISP. Even last year the Brewers weren't good. Oddly enough 2015 was the last time Milwaukee was above average with RISP.

Moose(.194)

Arcia(.224)

Cain(.227)

They may be one of the worst over the last 10 years with RISP. Even last year the Brewers weren't good. Oddly enough 2015 was the last time Milwaukee was above average with RISP.

Kinda cool that the stats match the eye test.

You wonder how BA w/RISP fluctuates from year to year. Could really just be a case of crap luck or maybe it is something larger.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You wonder how BA w/RISP fluctuates from year to year. Could really just be a case of crap luck or maybe it is something larger.

It fluctuates quite a bit year to year, meaning it is mostly luck...

http://research.sabr.org/journals/the-statistical-mirage-of-clutch-hitting

Batting average is also only one component, not making outs (OBP) & getting extra base hits (SLG) are also important.

By wRC+ (which accounts for all those things) with RISP the Cardinals (97), Brewers (96) & Phillies (95) are the bottom three teams in the league.

The Reds, Padres & Pirates all have a 113 wRC+ with RISP, trailing only LA & WAS in the NL, but it hasn't really helped them win any more games.

Moose(.194)

Arcia(.224)

Cain(.227)

Last year our position players had a 104 wRC+ with RISP, 14th in MLB. Over the last 10 years it is 102, 15th in MLB.

Woodruff will likely not be back until mid September Stearns said today. Ditto for Chacin.

I still can't believe they are going to slot Zach Davies into the rotation in the series against the Cardinals...really?? He has been awful...games against the cards are too important to basically be giving away like that. I'd honestly rather see them do a bullpen day then to go with Davies.

Ahhh outs on the basepaths.

I mean what did you want him to do?? There isn't a hitter in baseball that wouldn't have gone for two on that. It took a perfect throw to get him. They are hitting Sanchez...that's a good sign. It will pay dividends later.

Ahhh outs on the basepaths.

I mean what did you want him to do?? There isn't a hitter in baseball that wouldn't have gone for two on that. It took a perfect throw to get him. They are hitting Sanchez...that's a good sign. It will pay dividends later.

Because outhitting them 9-3 last night really paid dividends.

Archived