Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop for 2020

I'd trade for Marcus Semien. A's should probably sell him this offseason.

Trade Hader for Semien, Sean Murphy, Shelden Neuse, and James Kaprelian. Throw in some throw ins if the A's want them.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trade Hader for Semien, Sean Murphy, Shelden Neuse, and James Kaprelian. Throw in some throw ins if the A's want them.

Except both teams have to agree for a trade to occur.

With the weak FA class, and many other holes to fill with a crap farm system, hopefully they are able to save some $ yet still upgrade. Iglesias and Mercer are 2 options

With the weak FA class, and many other holes to fill with a crap farm system, hopefully they are able to save some $ yet still upgrade. Iglesias and Mercer are 2 options

Of course. I'm just on a message board and coming up with hypotheticals. The A's are an historically cheap ballclub and Semien is on his last last arby year. The trade value website thingy has his surplus value in the low 30s, same as Sean Murphy. Hader is in the mid 60s. Neuse has no where to play with Chapman and Olson still in their pre-arby years. He's a mediocre prospect who has put up good numbers, has a trade surplus value in single digits similar to a Grisham or maybe Corey Ray. So at least the numbers work out for a Hader+Ray?+Arcia? for Semien, Murphy and Neuse.

I would rather roll the dice on Nick Gordon than sign Iglesias or Mercer. I think the Brewers and the Twins match up rather well for a trade like this as the Brewers could offer a few different options that I think the Twins may like.

Yes, 100% knee-jerk. Falling in love with, and throwing money at a marginal upgrade is what gets GMs fired.

The difference between Arcia and an average shortstop is the difference between a guy like Thames and a guy like Rizzo. Arcia is so bad an average player is a big upgrade.

Yes, 100% knee-jerk. Falling in love with, and throwing money at a marginal upgrade is what gets GMs fired.

The difference between Arcia and an average shortstop is the difference between a guy like Thames and a guy like Rizzo. Arcia is so bad an average player is a big upgrade.

No it isn't. When you talk about upgrading Arcia, you are saying you are looking at going from bad to mediocre or even sub-mediocre offensively. Going from Thames to Rizzo would be going from good to great.

Spending a good amount of money to replace a black hole in your lineup with a slightly smaller black hole just isn't the answer, in my opinion. I'm all for locating an acquiring an upgrade at SS ... I just don't think guys like Iglesias and Galvis are worth the trouble.

Name came up in the Lux talk but what about Seager? Two years of arby left, maybe since he's had a major injury if you got him he'd be open to buying out a couple years of FA to put solid money in the bank. LA might be looking at Lux taking his spot down the line and saving the money on resigning him. I doubt we have the pieces to get him though.

Go get Seager, sign Moose and Grandal, take on Thames option and wowzers...

1. (L) Seager- SS

2. (S) Grandal- C

3. (L) Yelich- RF

4. ® Hiura- 2B

5. (L) Moose- 3B

6. ® Braun- LF

7. (L) Thames- 1B

8. ® Cain- CF

Bench: (L) Grisham- OF, (L) Shaw- 2B/3B, ® Arcia- 2B/SS, ® Pina- C

Your window would be until 2022 offensively.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Corey Seager would be an incredible "get" for the Brewers. The Brewers would likely have to add something to Hader to get that done, though. Man the Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches.

Brewers: Hader- 66.5

Dodgers: Seager- 45.5, Gray- 11.5 = 57.0

According to that site, you would have room to add on.

That isn't perfect but Seager's value according to them is a bit lower.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Corey Seager would be an incredible "get" for the Brewers. The Brewers would likely have to add something to Hader to get that done, though. Man the Dodgers have an embarrassment of riches.

Personally I think that trade value for Seager is low. We're talking about a first-division high-end SS still controllable for two seasons. Very rarely do you see two contenders deal young stud players for each other, but a Hader/Seager swap would make sense for both sides.

Personally I think that trade value for Seager is low. We're talking about a first-division high-end SS still controllable for two seasons. Very rarely do you see two contenders deal young stud players for each other, but a Hader/Seager swap would make sense for both sides.

I get what you are saying but he is about to get very expensive. He made 4 million this year and is in line for some big raises.

I would rather roll the dice on Nick Gordon than sign Iglesias or Mercer. I think the Brewers and the Twins match up rather well for a trade like this as the Brewers could offer a few different options that I think the Twins may like.

Nick Gordon hasn’t done much in the minors to show he’s ready to produce in the majors. Maybe adrianza instead

Nick Gordon hasn’t done much in the minors to show he’s ready to produce in the majors. Maybe adrianza instead

Brown and Nottingham should be enough to get Gordon. Even a Davies for Gordon is really close.

You may even be able to trade Anderson and Nottingham for Gordon. You won't have to give up much to get Gordon.

If not Iglesius, what about someone like "Brock Star" for at least a platoon? Seager is a nice thought, but the current organization does not have a great deal of assets to trade that would not negatively impact the major league team.

I dont pretend to know how it went behind the scenes, but Villar would be a big SS upgrade. I assume he will be traded with only 1 year left and Baltimore still sucking next year

Unfortunately I'd guess the Villar ship has sailed now. Too bad. You're right, he would be a massive upgrade at SS for us.

Ha! All this Villar love.... it's a little different pitching to Villar when you are usually ahead by 5 and your primary goal is to not walk anyone. How no one talks about his at bats when they technically do not matter, whether in blowout game situation or even the entire game itself with no pressures for the 100 loss team, is puzzling. He was a wreck on the bases too; nobody in the history of the franchise was worse. Easy pass. Glad he is doing well for others on a bad team.

Ha! All this Villar love.... it's a little different pitching to Villar when you are usually ahead by 5 and your primary goal is to not walk anyone. How no one talks about his at bats when they technically do not matter, whether in blowout game situation or even the entire game itself with no pressures for the 100 loss team, is puzzling. He was a wreck on the bases too; nobody in the history of the franchise was worse. Easy pass. Glad he is doing well for others on a bad team.

I wonder, did you post this about Yelich on the Marlins too? Or is it just because you didn’t like Villar.... hmm.

Villar walked 61 times last year which would have been 3rd on our team. Imagine if the goal wasn’t to walk anyone... whatever that means.

Marcus Semien would look amazing in the Brewers lineup, but I would be a little concerned about overpaying in a trade following his breakout season that appears to be a statistical outlier offensively from his career norms.

If they stick with Arcia as the starter and invest in finding a super utility type that can play 30-40 games at SS as well as cover 2B, 3B, and all three outfield positions, I would like to see them make a move to trade for the Marlins Jon Berti who is an under the radar player that performed very well given the opportunity to play with some regularity last season.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Speaking of the Dodgers, now that they got bum rushed from the playoffs again, if they go spend big in free agency will they have the luxury of affording Chris Taylor on the bench? Taylor is eligible for arby this offseason and made $3.5M; he'll be due a raise. The Dodgers have a lot of $ coming off the books, but they also have Lux knocking on the door and may go with Lux or Beaty as the 2B for salary cap purposes.

Taylor may be too pricey to keep on the bench with Turner and Seager ahead of him.

Archived