Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop for 2020

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we really talking about Sogard returning to Milwaukee?

*sigh*

Juiced baseball Eric Sogard is a good player. The ball has turned several players that were contact hitters that can hit the ball to all fields into superstars or useful players.

Yeah, in 93 games this year he's got 13 HR. The other 584 games in his career he's got 11.

LaStella had 10 HR in 396 career games going into this year. This year he's played in 78 games and has 16 HR.

Anybody who signs them to a contract after this season is banking on Happy Fun Ball returning next year.

*sigh*

Juiced baseball Eric Sogard is a good player. The ball has turned several players that were contact hitters that can hit the ball to all fields into superstars or useful players.

This is interesting. May explain why some are having better seasons (better hit tool/contact) versus others such as Corey Ray, who doesn't have a good hit tool/not a contact hitter.

*sigh*

This is interesting. May explain why some are having better seasons (better hit tool/contact) versus others such as Corey Ray, who doesn't have a good hit tool/not a contact hitter.

*sigh*

*sigh*

I have a feeling that if prime Lyle Overbay played today, he'd by up in that Anthony Rizzo/Joey Votto territory.

*sigh*

I have a feeling that if prime Lyle Overbay played today, he'd by up in that Anthony Rizzo/Joey Votto territory.

*sigh*

Ehire Adrianza (remember him?) is arby-eligible this offseason, and with the Twins committed to Jorge Polanco through at least 2023 and Luis Arraez adjusting to the majors quite nicely, maybe the Twins don't want to pay a backup SS the $2-2.5M he may command in arby.

He hasn't really had a spike in power this year - the increase in SLG is pretty much due to an increase in BA and OBP, as his ISO is only slightly higher than last year - but he is walking more and striking out less this year. I'm sure some of his career year is exactly that and he may easily regress, but an almost 10% BB rate and only 14.6% K rate is fairly appealing and pretty much independent of the ball being juiced.

Here are some of the Rule 5 draft players I have found a little bit interesting some are unrealistic as they have only reached AA and will probably be protected, I have also not checked all of them to see if they have been recently added to their teams 40 man rosters.

Jose Gomez SS Phillies (AA) .265/.320/.356

Luis Carpio SS Mets (AA) .254/.340/.344

Nick Gordon SS Twins (AAA) .298/.342/.459

Cristian Santana 1B/3B/SS Dodgers (AA) .303/.322/.439

Jonathan Arauz SS/2B/3B Astros (AA) .232/.308/.366

Gordon is probably the most unrealistic option but if the Twins wanted to trade him it would be for someone like Woodruff.

Jose Gomez or Cristian Santana maybe the more realistic options. Gomez has no where to play for the Phillies and the same for Santana with the Dodgers. I am not sure what the Dodgers or the Phillies would require for either of these players but these two I believe are probably the more realistic options to replace Arcia at some point next year.

Man, with all due respect because I know you're just posting some options...players that are slugging sub-.360 in AA or horrible AVG/OPS should not be major league options.

Gordon seems to be the only player that I could see as an option and I'd imagine that the Twins protect him.

That's like going after Luis Sardinas to start for our contending team.

I would guess the options for 2020 are going to be Arcia or a bunch of other guys that are basically the same as Arcia. Maybe the DBacks would be interested in unloading Eduardo Escobar but they're probably looking for an actual prospect or two for him.

Eduardo Escobar should never, ever see the SS position. Moose would likely be better there defensively at this point.

I try not to discuss offseason plans much mid-season, but I don’t see any way that Arcia is our opening day shortstop in 2020. I think he will be used off the bench as a backup to short and 2nd, or traded. I don’t think he will be DFA’d because he still has some untapped potential in my opinion and he’s still cheap, but the Brewers can’t continue to trot him out there almost everyday in 2020 waiting to see if he will ever find it. Shortstop will be addressed in some way this offseason.

I would guess the options for 2020 are going to be Arcia or a bunch of other guys that are basically the same as Arcia. Maybe the DBacks would be interested in unloading Eduardo Escobar but they're probably looking for an actual prospect or two for him.

Eduardo Escobar should never, ever see the SS position. Moose would likely be better there defensively at this point.

He's played so much SS in his career he can't be that bad. The .150 increase in OPS is probably worth it.

I'm getting a stronger and stronger feeling it won't be Arcia with how much CC benches him in favor of guys like Spangenburg, Saladino, H Perez, etc.

Did the same last year, didn't matter. I won't be shocked if he is the starter again next year...but only reason would be by default. No good options or spending all the money in other places. At least you get good defense from Arcia to help the pitching a bit. Having a terrible 5th starter or a trash can in the pen...well, nothing positive about that.

I just don’t know if you want to give up on Arcia in this 25/26 year after all the time we’ve invested in him.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Archived