Brewer Fanatic

Shortstop for 2020

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thing is, Arcia has, at times, shown elite defensive skills. He has also shown, at times, the ability to be better than average with the bat and he’s still just 25 years old. Teams like the Brewers that don’t have the luxury of pulling the plug on unique talent before knowing if said player will reach their potential. Sort of similar with the Twins punting on an maddeningly inconsistent Gomez only to have him reach his potential with the Brewers. For those reasons I would anticipate they roll with Arcia in 2020 and keep their powder dry for improvements to their pitching staff

First off, if Segura makes 15 million per season, the Brewers are not going to trade for him. That’s a substantial contract and they can likely get 80% of Segura’s anticipated production for 50% of his cost on the free agent market. Also, conveniently left out, if the Phillies ate cash in a Segura trade they’re going to want real players in return not dog rockets. Roll call on who is going to give up legit prospects to reacquire Segura. I’ll hang up and listen...

It's not that simple, it comes down to how much cash they're eating. Yes obviously if they're eating 12M out of 15M they're going to want a big return, but no one is suggesting that. Baseballtradevalues.com estimates Segura at about -4M in surplus value with his current contract remaining of 14.25 a year for the next 3 years. If they knock that down to 10M a year for a trade partner that's eating about 13.75M, which leaves him about 9.75 in surplus value which is not a blue chip prospect by any means.

While Arcia’s offensive approach is extremely frustrating at times, his defensive skills make him bearable, as long as the guys around him are capable offensively. With Grandal, Moose, and Thames gone, I don’t believe that SS is where we need to focus. Catcher will likely be a weak offensive spot in the 2020 lineup, so we need to get plus bats at 1B and 3B.

First off, if Segura makes 15 million per season, the Brewers are not going to trade for him. That’s a substantial contract and they can likely get 80% of Segura’s anticipated production for 50% of his cost on the free agent market. Also, conveniently left out, if the Phillies ate cash in a Segura trade they’re going to want real players in return not dog rockets. Roll call on who is going to give up legit prospects to reacquire Segura. I’ll hang up and listen...

It's not that simple, it comes down to how much cash they're eating. Yes obviously if they're eating 12M out of 15M they're going to want a big return, but no one is suggesting that. Baseballtradevalues.com estimates Segura at about -4M in surplus value with his current contract remaining of 14.25 a year for the next 3 years. If they knock that down to 10M a year for a trade partner that's eating about 13.75M, which leaves him about 9.75 in surplus value which is not a blue chip prospect by any means.

Says you, and maybe that seems logical in a vacuum. The Phillies aren’t trying to get under the luxury tax/slash payroll nor are they trying to rebuild. Absent those two scenarios historically major league teams don’t give All-Star players away for crap let alone pay said player to compete against them. It just doesn’t happen.

Says you, and maybe that seems logical in a vacuum. The Phillies aren’t trying to get under the luxury tax/slash payroll nor are they trying to rebuild. Absent those two scenarios historically major league teams don’t give All-Star players away for crap let alone pay said player to compete against them. It just doesn’t happen.

If they really want Didi and like him more than Segura going forward and can sign him, get 30M off the books for Segura that they can use for other signings and maybe get a decent upside prospect like Tristen Lutz, what's wrong with that strategy?

There’s nothing wrong with it as an idea in a vacuum it doesn’t make any sense for a Philadelphia in reality. They could trade free agent to be Caesar Hernandez for a better return, pay no cash and move Segura to 2B.

They want to move Kingery back to the infield and 2B, I think. Then have Brohm coming up for 3B.

There’s nothing wrong with it as an idea in a vacuum it doesn’t make any sense for a Philadelphia in reality. They could trade free agent to be Caesar Hernandez for a better return, pay no cash and move Segura to 2B.

They want to move Kingery back to the infield and 2B, I think. Then have Brohm coming up for 3B.

From the reports in Philly, the Phils were disappointed with how Kingery playd 2B. They are committed to making him a CF to utilize his speed. They say Bohm is still a year or two away from the majors having just moved up to AA last year. The talk around Philly is that they are going to try and con somebody into taking Franco and move Segura to 2B or 3B if they get Gregorius. Either way I don't see the Phillies salary dumping Segura.

The ties cut today hint towards going an entirely new direction in my opinion. Thames was a value at $7.5 million given his production. Arcia's production is non-existent. I've also never seen Stearns so openly call out a player when citing the need for more offensively and defensively as he publicly did with Arcia. That doesn't scream hoping for improvement from the same player to me. My gut tells me they're tired of this "all or nothing HR offense" and are trying to build a more balanced lineup. Either put the ball in play and get on base or hit balls over the fence, with a good mix of both. Arcia really does neither.

Urias fits the bill. Hit tool is 70 and he draws walks. It never made sense to hear Stearns call out Arcia so openly if he didn't have something up his sleeve. Looks like Urias was the something that got done.

I think it's clear that Turang is next in line so far as in-house options go, but unlikely that he'll be taking the reigns from Arcia. He's not close enough, and Arcia not producing enough, to assume there won't be someone brought in from outside to bridge the gap.

The gap looks to have been bridged. Never thought they get someone like Urias though. If Urias sticks for the next 6 years, it begs the question of what becomes of Turang.

I think it's clear that Turang is next in line so far as in-house options go, but unlikely that he'll be taking the reigns from Arcia. He's not close enough, and Arcia not producing enough, to assume there won't be someone brought in from outside to bridge the gap.

The gap looks to have been bridged. Never thought they get someone like Urias though. If Urias sticks for the next 6 years, it begs the question of what becomes of Turang.

It isn't really worth questioning because Urias hasn't proven to be a worthy MLB SS and Turang is nowhere near the MLB level.

I think ya'll had better get used to seeing Arcia at short for another year.

It's literally the easiest place they could make an upgrade without having to break the bank. Could he be the Brewers SS come Opening Day? Sure, but I'm definitely not betting on it. Assuming they don't address the worst SS group in major league baseball seems foolhardy.

I was think along the lines of a cheap veteran filler. Instead they actually sent out salary and might have locked down the position for the next 6 years. Even better.

It isn't really worth questioning because Urias hasn't proven to be a worthy MLB SS and Turang is nowhere near the MLB level.

It becomes a question if you don't leave out the beginning of the very sentence you bolded. If Urias pans out, Turang is looked at in a whole new light.

This definitely does open up a possible Turang involvement in a trade as well. Just something to keep an eye on and explore as we continue through the offseason discussing trades. He’s very much in play now if used to acquire a big piece. Urias isn’t a lock, but he’s going to be given 2-3 years to figure it out. Heck, if he hits .250 with an OBP of .330 and plays good defense, he could be a 3-4 WAR player. He was already a 1 WAR player last year hitting .220 in only about 1/3 of a season’s worth of atbats.

I think ya'll had better get used to seeing Arcia at short for another year.

It's literally the easiest place they could make an upgrade without having to break the bank. Could he be the Brewers SS come Opening Day? Sure, but I'm definitely not betting on it. Assuming they don't address the worst SS group in major league baseball seems foolhardy.

I was think along the lines of a cheap veteran filler. Instead they actually sent out salary and might have locked down the position for the next 6 years. Even better.

It looks like the SS position has now been addressed by Stearns. Maybe he adds a very low cost veteran later. I don't know if Urias is the answer, but it sure looks like Stearns thinks so.

Front offices don’t operate that way, they just don’t. Arcia is a good example why. Everyone thought he would be our SS for 6 years and the only reason he lasted this long is because we simply had nothing to turn to.

This trade doesn’t effect their view on Turang at all. You can’t assume Urias is going to become an above average player or assume Turang will/won’t. There is no rush to trade Turang, he isn’t even close to being blocked. We don’t even know Hiura can stick at 2B and be competent. Who says Turang can’t be a 3B? This reminds me of when we draft someone and everyone starts penciling them in to replace a player. Example Ray replacing Braun.

You guys are banking on way too much way too early...operate a team like that and your team will lose 110 games with a bunch of failed prospects.

For the 3rd time, IF Urias pans out, he can occupy SS for the next 6 years. And that would most certainly alter the future of Turang. No one is saying this frees them up to trade Turang this offseason. They certainly could but it would be more of a gamble. He's not major league ready so they have time to see what they have in Urias. It's very realistic to think they'll know if Urias is the guy at SS by the time Turang is knocking on the door to the majors. They might be sold on Urias by the all star break.

Put it this way, I'm sure Brice Turang's ears perked up when he heard the news. This most certainly clouds his future in Milwaukee. It could very well clear back up. But Urias is a cloud that didn't exist earlier today in the world of Brice Turang. He just needs to keep progressing and worry about where he'll play later. If he does his job, he'll have a spot in the majors somewhere, perhaps even Milwaukee.

Meh, rampant speculation.

Let it play out, we have years to figure it out.

Hell, by that time, the NL could have a DH, Hiura mans that spot, while Urias moves over to 2B for Turang to take over at SS.

It is beyond silly to think anything has changed in the way the Brewers view Turang and his future due to the Urias trade.

It's just too far out and a lot of things can happen by that time.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Archived