Brewer Fanatic

Brewers sign Jung Ho Kang to a minor league contract [Latest: Haven’t reached an agreement yet]

TURBO
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't recall many Brewer fans wanting to release Gallardo after he got his DUI.

I don't recall many Brewer fans having a big problem with Jeffress in 2018, even after the pee-pants incident he had while in Texas. And how many drug tests did Jeffress fail while in the minors? Think that was the absolute first and only time that Jeffress was behind the wheel while intoxicated?

If Kang comes up and does well, there won't be one Brewer fan complaining about his DUI's then.

I've come to accept the completely hypocrisy that sports fans exhibit when it comes to players on the teams they root for.

All cases should be looked at individually. There have been enough recent, positive things said about Kang out of Pittsburgh (even after him getting DFA'ed) that I have no problem with the Brewer's adding him to the organization.

I was shocked Brewers fans were so willing to look past Yo driving at 3 times the legal limit, while welcoming K-Rod, and yet criticizing Braun for his minor issue.

I don’t mind this deal. But he clearly has a drinking problem. I think I know one person that has ever gotten a DUI. It should be unacceptable. He should never be allowed to drive again

Updating a previous report, Jung Ho Kang has not signed a minor league contract with the Brewers.

It sounds like a deal will probably get done soon, but for now Kang is just working out at Triple-A San Antonio. He was released by the Pirates earlier this month after batting .169/.222/.395 over 185 plate appearances.

Source: Tom Haudricourt on Twitter

Aug 16, 2019, 5:37 PM ET

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I don't recall many Brewer fans wanting to release Gallardo after he got his DUI.

I don't recall many Brewer fans having a big problem with Jeffress in 2018, even after the pee-pants incident he had while in Texas. And how many drug tests did Jeffress fail while in the minors? Think that was the absolute first and only time that Jeffress was behind the wheel while intoxicated?

If Kang comes up and does well, there won't be one Brewer fan complaining about his DUI's then.

I've come to accept the completely hypocrisy that sports fans exhibit when it comes to players on the teams they root for.

All cases should be looked at individually. There have been enough recent, positive things said about Kang out of Pittsburgh (even after him getting DFA'ed) that I have no problem with the Brewer's adding him to the organization.

and yet criticizing Braun for his minor issue.

Goodness gracious.

It's totally fine if you forgive him, but let's not rewrite history. Testing positive for synthetic testosterone, having a suppller/client relationship with Tony Bosch, and being suspended for 65 games by MLB is not a "minor issue". He wasn't caught with pine tar on his bat.

This is the most recent article I found after not looking too hard that details Kang's issues.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pirates/2018/01/04/jung-ho-kang-visa-update-nexen-heroes-dominican-republic-winter-league-cut-kbo/stories/201801040083

By accounts of other Google searching, Kang gave up drinking after his third DUI. If this is true and he continues to hold to it that is a good thing. It doesn't excuse past DUI behavior but fortunately he didn't hurt anybody. For that reason he perhaps deserves some benefit of the doubt. It is still something I wouldn't feel comfortable just casually brushing aside in a "oh these things happen" manner.

The alleged sexual assault is more murky and potentially more serious. Sounds like it is still an open case but the authorities have had trouble getting the alleged victim to cooperate. It's a Bill Cosby type situation, allegedly Kang invited her to his hotel room in Chicago, gave her a drink after which she drifted in and out of consciousness while Kang assaulted her. No charges were filed against Kang.

All this totals up to me being somewhat ok with the guy getting a chance. I'm not thrilled about his past actions and I don't feel particularly motivated to defend him against people that want to be more critical of him. If he catches on as a Brewer I guess I'll deal with that when it happens but I can certainly understand those that don't want any part of him in the organization. It wouldn't break my heart if things don't work out between him and the club.

Thank you for shedding more light on the issue. The DUI's are bad, but since he hurt no one but himself and allegedy has stopped drinking that I can live with that as long as he does not relapse and attends a substance abuse program. The deal breaker to me is the sexual assault, in summary the allegation is he "roofied" a woman. No Deal!! It sends a bad message to the female fanbase. Honestly, hope he fails and gets released!

Archived