Brewer Fanatic

The Brewers would be a great team if they didn't have so many bad players

Or maybe the rebuild was too fast? Maybe a younger more talented core of players is the way to go with a below league average payroll. Maybe it’s the reason Attanasio hires him in the first place. Because, maybe he convinced our owner he could turn around this team quickly, and that’s the reason he got the job.

Imo, can’t win a World Series with astute waiver wire claims and cheap scrap heap pickups AND A BELOW LEAGUE AVERAGE PAYROLL.

This I will agree with and it was my main concern. You can get guys like Aguilar and Shaw pretty much whenever you want but there's a huge risk in relying on them because they were never really highly touted with great tools that you could consistently rely on. So you get a good couple years out of them and you expect them to continue and then they just fall off.

A scorched earth rebuild, while painful is probably more sustainable long term in a market like this than hoping to find a bunch of guys like Shaw and Aguilar to consistently contribute over a number of years.

I know we're in the extreme minority here, but I would be fine with a scorched earth rebuild. None of us knows for sure, but I'm guessing something that drastic is a Mark A decision, not Stearns. For all we know that could have been he plan until they had the unexpected success in 2017 already.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As much as a "scorched earth rebuild" would probably be a good thing for 2022 and beyond, I just cannot see it occurring with MA. He wants to win and he wants his money. Selling off Yelich and Co. would alienate the fan base too much. On top of that, they have a couple of young guys (Hiura/Grisham/Woody) that look ready to take on major roles going forward. They are in a solid spot financially as Braun will be in his last season ( :( ) and really the only crap contract may end up being Cain going forward. If Stearns can't work with that and build a winner than he probably isn't worth much as a GM anyways.

I hope people to really understand that each season is different. We saw that last year and this year. We had guys we thought were going to be major contributors in both seasons crap out and do nothing for us. This year we have been hit a bit harder than last and we were able to get hot at the right time. A little perspective goes a long way when looking at things.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yes I think that was the plan and really they did do it. They traded everyone with any value and were awful. I don't know how it's more scorched earth than that. But yes their success at nailing small moves let them win quicker so only got 1 high pick out of it. Then what are we gonna do, rip him for getting Yelich? Right now I don't know how you can full rebuild while having Yelich cheap and as tough as this year has been they're still close.

The things to bash this org for are essentially a complete failure to draft/develop pitching. that's beena problem for 30 years and so far not much has changed on that with the new GM/team the last 5ish years. And I'd say overall drafting in early rounds since Braun-ish time. Better in these two areas and lots of things would be different.

As far as Bud Selig is concerned, I believe, he knew, bottom line, if he couldn’t get revenue sharing, a new ballpark, etc. the brewers wouldn’t even be in MKE. Sort of a bigger fish to fry type deal. His mistake was having his Daughter run the team.

Back when he owned the team, he spared no expense. Team always near the top in payroll, at least more years than not from 78-92. No comparison between Attanasio and Selig.

Attanasio above all else is a brilliant money maker. It’s who he is. That doesn’t necessarily make him a bad owner. As I’ve said repeatedly, THERE ARE MANY MORE WORSE OWNERS than him. But he’s not CASTELLINI of the reds who will forgo a profit, at least in a one or two year time frame to improve the odds of winning.

As far as Bud Selig is concerned, I believe, he knew, bottom line, if he couldn’t get revenue sharing, a new ballpark, etc. the brewers wouldn’t even be in MKE. Sort of a bigger fish to fry type deal. His mistake was having his Daughter run the team.

Back when he owned the team, he spared no expense. Team always near the top in payroll, at least more years than not from 78-92. No comparison between Attanasio and Selig.

Attanasio above all else is a brilliant money maker. It’s who he is. That doesn’t necessarily make him a bad owner. As I’ve said repeatedly, THERE ARE MANY MORE WORSE OWNERS than him. But he’s not CASTELLINI of the reds who will forgo a profit, at least in a one or two year time frame to improve the odds of winning.

You should compare the Reds “success” to the Brewers and see what ya come up with.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

To flip that much after a half season on your viewpoint is exactly how organizations should not be run if you care about long term forward thinking and all that. You have to give time and not have constant turmoil. The worse teams in all sports are the ones that change management every year or two.

For his job, think of this simply. If you'd have been told when the rebuild started in 2015 that by 2017 they'd be a game out of the playoffs, by 2018 a game from the WS and that in 2019 in competition for the playoffs with 5-6 weeks left would that be a successful management job? Oh, while having acquired an MVP on a cheap contract. But I suppose weigh that again not acquiring Freddy Galvis, and yea it's debatable.

So you think Stearns has had a good year? Hasn’t made an inordinate amount of mistakes, from the early rotation to the horrible pitching shuttle to sending Hiura back down to the imbalance of lefty hitters, to keeping a near .530 hitter vs lefties down all year. Oh, almost forgot, letting DJ go. If I had more time to think, I could probably come up with more bad decision making. Isn’t that enough?

You said this back in February:

Stearns & co has built a championship caliber team for this year. What

Separates this team from any other national league team including the dodgers is there depth. Best 40 man in league and it’s not even

Close! This team will overcome injuries because of it, And get stronger at the trade deadline. And like last year dominate sept with

Call-ups. This will be one of mlb’s super teams THIS year!

What Stearns has done in the last 41 months is simply astounding!

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=38134&p=1197234#p1197234

You can't go from that to wanting him fired 6 months later just because the results haven't been as good as you had expected, man.

Stop with the I want him fired talk, I’ve just gone from as you pointed out, from wow, aren’t we lucky to have him, too, questioning whether or not he’s the right person for the job.

Is there anyone on this board who DOESNT THINK STEARNS SHOULD LOCK UP HIURA ASAP?

After thinking about it more, I don’t think they should lock him up. If they knew 100% that the DH was coming I’d say yes. But his defense is trash and I doubt it gets much better.

Funny how we can't discuss politics, because it's too contentious, but now we have arguments about baseball that are exactly the same as past political discussions. There's a lot of middle ground between the 2 opposing opinions, but heaven forbid anyone treads in there...

Guy puts out roughly 30 mil more in payroll the year after making the NLCS because they're in theory close to winning it = not willing to spend money for a year or two to try to win.

66 million gross profit. Then add playoff revenue ON TOP OF THAT > another 10-20 million > now it’s not quite as impressive is it?

After thinking about it more, I don’t think they should lock him up. If they knew 100% that the DH was coming I’d say yes. But his defense is trash and I doubt it gets much better.

thoughts on him moving to LF or 1B? LF could open up after Braun if Grisham can play CF ok. For 1B, we'll he's taller than Prince and of course it's just way easier and with very little throwing. As someone who is fairly athletic you'd kind of hate to use DH on him instead of a slower/bigger,/older etc type person

Guy puts out roughly 30 mil more in payroll the year after making the NLCS because they're in theory close to winning it = not willing to spend money for a year or two to try to win.

66 million gross profit. Then add playoff revenue ON TOP OF THAT > another 10-20 million > now it’s not quite as impressive is it?

I don't know how many times you need to be told that us joe schmoes have no idea on numbers of that nature. We simply don't know that stuff and acting factual on it is incorrect. What we do know for a fact, is they increased team player payroll in the 30 mil type area and it's drastically more than they ever spent before.

thoughts on him moving to LF or 1B? LF could open up after Braun if Grisham can play CF ok. For 1B, we'll he's taller than Prince and of course it's just way easier and with very little throwing. As someone who is fairly athletic you'd kind of hate to use DH on him instead of a slower/bigger,/older etc type person

His arm looks worse than Khrush so I’d pass on LF. His glove skills don’t look much better than his little league arm so not sure how he’d look at 1B. I am shocked he’s taller than Prince because he looks tiny. Just not sure he’s ever going to be that useful in the field.

I don't know how many times you need to be told that us joe schmoes have no idea on numbers of that nature. We simply don't know that stuff and acting factual on it is incorrect. What we do know for a fact, is they increased payroll in the 30 mil type area and it's drastically more than they ever spent before.

The 66 gross profit is as factual as one can get with guarded books, comes from FORBES. Playoff revenue is estimated 10-20 million. If it’s 10 million that’s a 76 million gross profit which is top 10 in all of baseball. Actually the 66 is top 10 in baseball.

But whatever, I’m also sick of saying it.

By all means, please stop then.

Funny how we can't discuss politics, because it's too contentious, but now we have arguments about baseball that are exactly the same as past political discussions. There's a lot of middle ground between the 2 opposing opinions, but heaven forbid anyone treads in there...

Seems like everyone is in the middle ground except one person. I don't see anyone claiming mistakes weren't made, or Stearns is above being questioned, etc.

Is there anyone on this board who DOESNT THINK STEARNS SHOULD LOCK UP HIURA ASAP?

He's already locked up. For the next 6+ years. I have no reservation really with giving him a long-term deal but you keep harping on this like he's going to walk in the offseason if they don't do something.

He's already locked up. For the next 6+ years. I have no reservation really with giving him a long-term deal but you keep harping on this like he's going to walk in the offseason if they don't do something.

Yes, but wouldn’t it be great if we had Yelich signed for 2 additional years at well below market value?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The 66 gross profit is as factual as one can get with guarded books, comes from FORBES. Playoff revenue is estimated 10-20 million. If it’s 10 million that’s a 76 million gross profit which is top 10 in all of baseball. Actually the 66 is top 10 in baseball.

One more time and you're done here for good.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

What's the middle ground? Is Attanasio going to half-fire Stearns?

Yes, but wouldn’t it be great if we had Yelich signed for 2 additional years at well below market value?

But we don't know that Hiura is going to be another Christian Yelich, and I think to say that, you're not seeing how rare it is to have a player become a Christian Yelich. You're a little bit over the top high on players you like -- Hiura, Grisham -- and now lately you've been touting Ray Black as having unhittable stuff and expecting Black and Devin Williams to be lights out late inning guys in September.

I don't think you fully appreciate the rarity of the truly elite players in baseball and what it takes to get to that level -- that talent is just one ingredient, and not a guarantee. I would have thought that what happened with guys like Burnes and Nelson this year would have been a humbling reminder of that fact and caused you to second guess some of these forecasts, but it certainly doesn't appear to be the case.

The Brewers signed Braun to essentially a life time contract when he was just starting out. His career OPS of .893 is still higher than Yelich’s even counting his down years. There’s more than a few posters here who have advocated benching, releasing Braun despite having earned every penny he’s been paid. So the point with Hiura is, even if he was the next Braun and signed a life time deal posters would still criticize

Archived