Brewer Fanatic

Arizona Fall League

Oxy

Loved what Fry did as well. I think he's the best catcher prospect - offensively - in the system, but like Hummel, isn't getting reps. A September 2021 debut, maybe?

The Brewers obviously don't see Fry as a catcher and probably never will he is a 1B/3B only and not a catcher.

We had Fryer player a lot of OF and he carved out a nice career as a catcher, we had Brantley at 1b quite a bit. Sometimes guys play out of position due to organizational strengths

Could be. I doubt Fry is going to jump ahead of Feliciano and Henry on the catching totem pole, not to mention Nottingham as well. We really have next to nothing at 1B in the minors, though, so they very well may be grooming him to go there in the future.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Final 2019 AFL Stats for Brewers' prospects:

BATTERS

David Fry

13 G - 15H/50AB - 7 R - 6 RBI - 5 2B - 1 HR - 5BB/13K - .300/.375/.460

Clayton Andrews

2 G - 2/10 - 1 R - 2 RBI - 0BB/1K - .200/.200/.200

Pablo Abreu

12 G - 6/41 - 2 R - 2 RBI - 1 2B - 0BB/23K - .146/.146/.171

Jake Gatewood

13 G - 6/42 - 6 R - 1 RBI - 1 2B - 4BB/15K - .143/.234/.167

PITCHERS

Victor Castaneda

6 G (5 GS) - 22.2 IP - 3 wins/1 loss - 1.99 ERA/0.84 WHIP - 29 K/6 BB

Quintin Torres-Costa

9 G - 9.0 IP - 4 holds - 2.00 ERA/1.44 WHIP - 15 K/7 BB

Clayton Andrews

10 G - 11.2 IP - 1 win/1 loss - 1 save - 3 holds - 3.09 ERA/1.11 WHIP - 20 K/7 BB

Robbie Hitt

8 G - 11.0 IP - 1 win/0 losses - 2 holds - 5.73 ERA/1.27 WHIP - 14 K/6 BB

Bobby Wahl

6 G (2 GS) - 5.0 IP - 1 win/1 loss - 2 holds - 14.40 ERA/2.40 WHIP - 7 K/4 BB

Clayton Andrews posted a 15.42 K/9 rate in the AFL, and QTC had a K/9 rate at an even 15.

As for Castaneda... I'm wondering if the Brewers don't stretch him out this year. The AFL seems to point to someone who could be an ace starter.

As for Castaneda... I'm wondering if the Brewers don't stretch him out this year. The AFL seems to point to someone who could be an ace starter.

It does? What specifically are you looking at? Historically, at least statistically, the record suggests he should very much remain a relief pitcher. They may try him again as a starter but the more likely path is that they push him up the system as a reliever.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

It does? What specifically are you looking at? Historically, at least statistically, the record suggests he should very much remain a relief pitcher. They may try him again as a starter but the more likely path is that they push him up the system as a reliever.

It is a small sample size, but if he can stretch out, that would be a huge add.

On the other hand, he could end up a right-handed Hader. Valuable either way, but a future rotation stud is a very rare gem.

It is a small sample size, but if he can stretch out, that would be a huge add.

On the other hand, he could end up a right-handed Hader. Valuable either way, but a future rotation stud is a very rare gem.

Why can't he just be Victor Castaneda, right-handed relief prospect instead of "a right-handed Hader"? You know you continuously calling relief prospects "right-handed Haders" or "another Hader" sounds really dumb, right? Sorry, that has always irked me.

I mean, Castaneda has a completely different repertoire of pitches, using his fastball, splitter and change, while Hader is predominantly a fastball/occasional slider guy. Really are very, very different pitchers.

Unless the organization said something, corner infield could just have been the easiest way to get Fry at bats in the AFL. I hope there is still hope for him at catcher because being the Brewers' best first base prospect doesn't necessarily make someone a first base prospect (and you could argue Dillard would be ahead of him at first).

As for Castaneda, it is going to be interesting to see who is in the Carolina rotation given the number of players who had at least some success starting for Wisconsin last year. I'd guess Small, Lazar and Bennett have three of the spots, but there are a lot of possibilities for the other two.

Unless the organization said something, corner infield could just have been the easiest way to get Fry at bats in the AFL. I hope there is still hope for him at catcher because being the Brewers' best first base prospect doesn't necessarily make someone a first base prospect (and you could argue Dillard would be ahead of him at first).

As for Castaneda, it is going to be interesting to see who is in the Carolina rotation given the number of players who had at least some success starting for Wisconsin last year. I'd guess Small, Lazar and Bennett have three of the spots, but there are a lot of possibilities for the other two.

Fry's also played some OF and even SS in Wisconsin. The bat's playing well, so far.

• 1 month later...

Loved what Fry did as well. I think he's the best catcher prospect - offensively - in the system, but like Hummel, isn't getting reps. A September 2021 debut, maybe?

The Brewers obviously don't see Fry as a catcher and probably never will he is a 1B/3B only and not a catcher.

I loved seeing what Fry was doing last year. My opinion on him as a catcher has a lot more to do with how MKE handled him. At his age I kept thinking, time to move him up. Let's go already. I wanted Feliciano bumped to AA to make it happen. They held back on that. To me that says they don't see him as a catcher. Moving him to 1b/3b clears his path and this is a very nice 13 game sample. I'm much more interested in him than the 3b 1b options we have in the system.

I also think it's pretty telling that Kahle got the call to A+ when Feliciano got bumped. I think the MiLB catcher group is Feliciano Henry Kahle and Nottingham in no particular order. 1b 3b is a wasteland. I hope Fry uses this as a springboard to start off in Carolina at 1b/3b and ends the year in AA.

1b 3b is a wasteland. I hope Fry uses this as a springboard to start off in Carolina at 1b/3b and ends the year in AA.

I miss the days of Prince Fielder, Brad Nelson, and Corey Hart. 1b depth would be nice. But we seemingly use 1b to give our other position players an extra opportunity to be in the lineup.

Archived