Brewer Fanatic

Jake Faria optioned; Ray Black recalled

djoctagone

jake faria, with an 8.10 era and hitters batting .357 against him as a brewer, has been optioned to san antonio.

ray black has been recalled.

faria must remain optioned for at least 10 days unless replacing an injured player.

Mentioned in the IGT last night, but it's really troubling that Faria and Black are out of options next year. Black will now get some time to prove otherwise, but as of now the 2020 pen is showing two pieces that you'd not expect to be at the top of the depth chart and also can't be sent down. That could impact other tenders, options, and signings.

excited to see what Black can do. From what I saw of Faria, he can't locate his splitter which is allegedly his out pitch. Also do not care what Aguilar does in Tampa Bay he wasn't doing it here and there is no reason to believe that he would be playing as well (small sample size withstanding here)

Mentioned in the IGT last night, but it's really troubling that Faria and Black are out of options next year. Black will now get some time to prove otherwise, but as of now the 2020 pen is showing two pieces that you'd not expect to be at the top of the depth chart and also can't be sent down. That could impact other tenders, options, and signings.

It feels like Stearns went into the deadline intent on trading Dubon for relief help, and when the market for Dubon was far less than expected, panicked and just took whatever he could get at the last second.

It feels like Stearns went into the deadline intent on trading Dubon for relief help, and when the market for Dubon was far less than expected, panicked and just took whatever he could get at the last second.

maybe, but he wasn't one to make panicked moves in the past. Maybe he never thought he was much of a prospect no matter how high he is on prospect lists, but considering most brewer fans would be shocked if they made a run similar to 2018, its tough loosing a prospect when you don't have that many as it is.

It wasn't a panic move. Aguilar was fairly useless at this point, and Stearns got a lotto ticket of sorts for a potential 2020 rotation arm. A back-end arm, but an arm nonetheless. I think that was a long-term play, and anything he added to the pen right now was a bit of a bonus. Unfortunately he added a negative. He is young, and has started before with a little bit of success. But we just don't know. Trades and FA could lead to a very different rotation where maybe Faria is the 4th or 5th guy next April. At worst it's another guy competing for a job who maybe helps them next season.

I am guessing he would have liked to get a strong arm for this year, but recognized the market and adjusted as such. Faria may be awful for the Brewers, but I think that was the strategy, not panicking.

Edit: Kinda mixed up the moves there and didn't notice you meant Dubon was a panic move. But I still don't think he's really one for panic moves.

i have no issue with the Aguilar move, its the dubon one that myself and I believe adambr2 questioned.

I don't think you can grade the Dubon trade until you see how Ray Black factors into the equation the rest of this year and beyond. It was kind of an odd deal in that two of the three pieces were acquired with future value in mind. Does Dubon profile as anything more than a light-hitting utility IF? The jury is obviously still out.

Dubon has a 796 OPS in AAA as a 25 year old. He's not even a prospect. Great trade for Stearns.

Faria , like all split finger pitchers this year, is having trouble adjusting to the new baseballs. The balls will likely change again next year. I'm guessing he gets a shot at the rotation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Tom

@Haudricourt

Ray Black is one of few pitchers who can throw in excess of 100 mph anytime he wants but said he has learned he can't get by on velo alone, even at that level. Mixes in slider and occasional curve to keep hitters honest.

Can we make him the new pitching coach? Seems like we've got a couple of guys on the staff that haven't learned this lesson.

Archived