Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers Position Players

clancyphile
IMHO, anyone who advocates trading Yelich for prospects cannot and should not be taken seriously. When you trade for high level prospects you pray that you might hit the jackpot and get someone who turns into what Yelich is now. When you have one, you don’t flip him, you build around him.

It's a ridiculous suggestion that would only be brought up by the same 3 guys over and over. However, if we're half-way through 2021 and sitting 39-44, I think it's something you have to do at that point. Your options are another Ryan Braun situation or capitalizing on what is probably the last bit of prime talent to get something back in return. I hate thinking about it, but if the team is not built to compete immediately I can't see them keeping him.

Also, Yelich has been generational for the last two years. I wouldn't expect any prospect to be as good as he has been.

I don’t think it’s 3 guys bringing it up over and over, I believe I’m the only one now since the only other poster I’ve seen wanting to trade Yelich was mr Wahoo, and I believe he’s no longer with us.

I’m not of the belief that the brewers can build a team good enough around Yelich, the way it stands right now, with the limitations that a below league average payroll puts on Stearns. Too many holes, not enough prospect capital and money to fix. With that said, why hold onto him? Why pretend that there’s a good enough chance to win a title with him under the circumstances that exist?

Maybe if the payroll was upped to 150–160 for a year or two, it might be different? But I’m resigned to that not happening, based on past history.

Stearns hands are tied. What can he realistically do but continue to transact on the cheap?

So based upon those facts, imo, since we have 3 years control over the best HITTER in baseball and a GM I trust in winning trades:

Yelich > ~ 8 war player for his prime years > 20-24 war in prospect value return > 150-200 million in prospect value to go with Hader > 80-110 million just those 2 alone gets enough back to, if Stearns is to be trusted, 7+ top 100 prospects that can be used to build a LOW PAYROLL contender.

I’d like to see what Stearns can do with a stronger core(Hiura Grisham Woodruff Houser Peralta)than what he had in 2015-16 during his last quick turnaround.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMHO, anyone who advocates trading Yelich for prospects cannot and should not be taken seriously. When you trade for high level prospects you pray that you might hit the jackpot and get someone who turns into what Yelich is now. When you have one, you don’t flip him, you build around him.

It's a ridiculous suggestion that would only be brought up by the same 3 guys over and over. However, if we're half-way through 2021 and sitting 39-44, I think it's something you have to do at that point. Your options are another Ryan Braun situation or capitalizing on what is probably the last bit of prime talent to get something back in return. I hate thinking about it, but if the team is not built to compete immediately I can't see them keeping him.

Also, Yelich has been generational for the last two years. I wouldn't expect any prospect to be as good as he has been.

I was only talking about advocating a trade of Yelich this offseason. Circumstances obviously change, especially as it gets closer to the end of his current contract. But today, the business side of the operation has to consider what message it’s sending to fans if they trade away a player who has become by far its best and most popular player and biggest drawing card.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

You do not the trade the best hitter in baseball, making an average of about $13m for the next two years, when he is not a FA until 2023. Your premise of "too many holes to fix" doesn't make a lick of sense. You don't fill any holes by trading Yelich. You get some prospects who might possibly be good and 99% probably never as good as he is, and you create one new hole the size of Manhattan.

I get that it's been a frustrating year, but that is a new level of absurdity. His recent production makes him the best player to ever don a Brewers uniform. Your strategy is panicking about two years before you have to.

As far as what can Stearns do, he can wait for Braun to come off the books and still have Christian Yelich. That is the best play.

Sure you'd take Rendon if you could. But are we going to hand out a 5-6 20-25 mil contract to a 29/30 yr old? Granted, the market in the last few years probably keep his price tag down where you just don't immediately dismiss it (like we don't have to worry about 7-8 yr close to 200 mil anymore) but I still don't think they get it done. Someone will trump them.

You can't make decisions based on what fans will think. Besides, they get over it quickly. Fielder, Sabathia, Sexson, there's been all kinds of players fans really loved. Guess what? They move on to the next one. 90% of Brewer fans probably never heard of Yelich before he came here.

I hate having a middling team convincing themselves they can compete. Maybe lightning strikes this year yet, not ruling it out. If not, I have no problem dangling Yelich and anyone else to see what you can get. 99% sure he'll be gone after his current contract is up, so selling high is worth considering.

Finally, with a player like Yelich you're not trading for prospects necessarily. Maybe you get a really good young rotation arm with say 4 years of control as the centerpiece, a SS with MLB experience, plus a couple top prospects. If you can't get that, fine, keep Yelich. But for the right deal, you have to at least listen.

You do not the trade the best hitter in baseball, making an average of about $13m for the next two years, when he is not a FA until 2023. Your premise of "too many holes to fix" doesn't make a lick of sense. You don't fill any holes by trading Yelich. You get some prospects who might possibly be good and 99% probably never as good as he is, and you create one new hole the size of Manhattan.

I get that it's been a frustrating year, but that is a new level of absurdity. His recent production makes him the best player to ever don a Brewers uniform. Your strategy is panicking about two years before you have to.

As far as what can Stearns do, he can wait for Braun to come off the books and still have Christian Yelich. That is the best play.

Didn’t address anything that I brought up, just talked in generalities. One player no matter how good, can’t win you a World Series.

And Fielder was a guy they could have traded, but didn't, knowing they were going to lose him. Instead they went for it while having both Braun and Fielder. That is what you attempt with Yelich. I'm sorry, but I can't believe that is even being entertained here. If we're trading 27 y/o guys with OPS over 1.100 with three years of team control on modest contracts, what's the point of anything? We might as well move them to Vegas.

There is no possible way you get value by trading Yelich now. Nobody would pay what it takes. Two years from now, I listen. Today he is off limits.

Right, but have a player this freakishly good is a huge advantage. Especially on such a cheap contract. The window a player on that contract is providing us is something a small market dreams of. How they take advantage of it is of course yet to be seen. We can rip on management all we want but obviously it worked in year 1. Year 2 they're still competing but pitching mistakes were made. You have 3 more years in this window and the latter two you also lose Braun's contract to help with more flex. Basically just saying it's very tough to punt on that window, have to keep taking swings. But as Snapper just said once you get to the deadline 1.5 years away from FA you have to start listening if that team isn't winning.

Didn’t address anything that I brought up, just talked in generalities. One player no matter how good, can’t win you a World Series.

Yes I did. You just said that Stearns hands are tied and that he can't do anything to win with Yelich. Which is of course nonsense, but that's par for the course.

My guess is the OF group is mostly set

Braun, Cain, Yelich, Gamel, and Grisham

Infield is different. I only see Hiura as a guarantee. At this point I'd probably bring back Thames whether that's through the club option or re-signed at a slightly lower price. Shaw is the toughest decision. If you can bring back Moose I'd non tender or trade Shaw. Personally, I'd non-tender saladino and perez. I'd probably non tender Arcia too unless his Arb salary is around $1mm. I'd attempt to bring in a veteran SS like Iglesias or Galvis (if he his option is declined). Todd Frazier is an interesting complement to the roster as a part time right handed bat at 3rd and first.

Catcher could end up being Pina + a young guy as the back up. I'd love to bring Grandal back though. Off the top of my head I don't remember any other notable starting caliber catchers who will be free agents.

With 26 roster spots next season it will be interesting to see if the Brewers primarily operate with a 5 man bench.

Yes I did. You just said that Stearns hands are tied and that he can't do anything to win with Yelich. Which is of course nonsense, but that's par for the course.

I’ve read thru these plans on pitching and position players, let’s just say it doesn’t look too promising for 2020, imo.

To be honest, I agree, that right now, 2020 is looking a lot like this year. I anticipate we'll have a bit better luck, but this roster has problems. I am hoping for a year similar to this one, maybe with fewer gut punch losses, but one we are competing in the division most of the year. But I am more excited for 2021. I'm hoping by then, some young guys have grown, Arcia is either something or off the team, and we've made enough to changes to take one more leap with Yelich + Braun money. If THAT season goes belly up, yes, I start dangling Yelich in July.

We're set at:

LF (Grisham)

CF (Cain)

RF (Yelich)

2B (Hiura)

1B (Thames/Braun)

Sign Moustakas for 3B, Keep Shaw for depth at 3B, part of platoon at 1B (where Thames moves to OF to spell Grisham against tough Righties).

That leaves:

SS

C

I don't really want to go with Pina as the prime Catcher, but he isn't an Arcia... Grandal might not get the multi-year he was hoping for, but I bet he does sign somewhere else for more than 1 year. SS options were plentiful last offseason and are sparse on the FA market for this year. Personally, I can't wait for the last game for Arcia as a Brewer, but I don't think there's a quick fix for the bottom of the order black hole. I'd be fine with a defensive whiz at SS who is actually above replacement level who doesn't offer much offense or at least knows the difference between a ball and strike. Braun/Thames may not be as good as the current Brewers 1B, but a full year of Hiura and Braun-circa2019 production from Grisham in LF the offense will be a little better especially if they limit the Shaw suckitude (if it continues).

I desperately want the Brewers to move on from Arcia. His bat still hasn't come close to coming around, and his defense is nothing spectacular. However, there aren't many options out there to upgrade SS. Gregorius is all but certain to re-sign with the Yankees IMO and the other free agent shortstops aren't great. Although at this point I would take a potato at shortstop instead of Arcia. I really don't want him on the team next season.

Grandal, hands down no discussion. Losing him puts a huge hole in this lineup.

Grisham Hiura Yelich Grandal Braun/Thames. That's the good part of things. Cain is on the fringe. Shaw Arcia P is the meh part of things. If you take Grandal out of that group it gets ugly.

I don't see Moose as an essential keep due to his OBP career numbers. We've seen some of his best numbers there. Grandal has been 346 career obp. Moose is 309 despite his 326 in MKE.

I’m sure Grandal is going to be demanding $20 per season over four years, and maybe settle for 3 years. The question becomes if the Brewers would add another 20 million dollar per year long term deal

Do you think that the qualifying offer reimbursement is the only reason he didn't get an offer like that last year? I had heard the Mets made him an offer, but I didn't think it was that big. While he's having a solid season, I don't know if he's done a ton to raise his value significantly.

I’m sure Grandal is going to be demanding $20 per season over four years, and maybe settle for 3 years. The question becomes if the Brewers would add another 20 million dollar per year long term deal

Not unless the payroll jumps up substantially. And even if that would happen not sure Stearns would commit to those dollars for a past prime player. Think he is learning his lesson on Cain now.

Do you think that the qualifying offer reimbursement is the only reason he didn't get an offer like that last year? I had heard the Mets made him an offer, but I didn't think it was that big. While he's having a solid season, I don't know if he's done a ton to raise his value significantly.

He is a year older and honestly hasn't been doing any better than previous years. I will say his stats haven't been good at Miller Park and downright horrid at some NL Central parks that are hitter friendly. I think it is reasonable to expect even more if he came back or at the very least similar production.

I would think 3/$40mil is a lot more realistic for him to max out at.

The Mets rumoured offer was along the lines of 4/$60m. Exact numbers are unconfirmed, but Grandal's comments would suggest that it's at least in the right ballpark. QO likely played a part, and while GMs would place less emphasis on a few individual appearances than fans would, I imagine that his last few appearances for the Dodgers didnt help him.

Can't imagine he gets any less than 3/$45m. Likely more IMO.

If you read his comments at the time of signing he accepted the one year deal from the Brewers over a multi-year deal because of the average annual value of 18 million. What about his play would suggest he take a pay cut from 18 million? With the lack of catchers who can hit; I don’t expect him to have to settle for another one year deal.

I believe our OF set with Braun Cain Yelich Grisham and Gamel. I believe our plan B for catcher is all internal (Pina/Frietas) but might go external if financials allow (Yaz or otherwise) Thames, Arcia, Huira,Shaw are set. I wouldn't mind Moose back but dont see it as nessecary to have him specifically back. Could use somebody either to man the left side. I believe money will go to pitching first, but as Stearns has shown, the right deal comes along, he will pounce.

2020 salary ‘s (approximation)

First the pitching staff: if everyone retained but Gio and Lyles > 36.7 million

Lineup & Bench:

Grisham > 600,000

Hiura > 600,000

Yelich > 12.5

Shaw > 5

Thames > 7.5

Cain > 16

Pina > 2

Arcia > 3

Braun > 17

Freitas > 600,000

Perez > 3

Gamel > 2

Utility > 600,000

70.4 million + 36.7 million = 107.2 total with zero upgrades to the team.

This year’s payroll at 127. If Attanasio decides to keep the profit approximately the same next year the same as this year, with every team in baseball getting an additional 9 million from the National Fox deal with everything else being equal, next year’s payroll could be 136.

So that leaves approximately 29 million to spend on upgrades, potentially more if Nelson Perez Shaw let go.

If we go for it in 2020, imo, we need to improve this offense more than the pitching staff. So how?

Get some better plate approach hitters into this lineup.

SS > Iglesias > 10 mil. - 3 mil.(Arcia) = 7 mil. Added.

3B > Donaldson type hitter > 23 mil. - 5 mil.(Shaw) = 18 mil. Added.

Bench > 600,000 + 3 mil.(Pérez) save 2.4 mil.

That leaves 6.4 million to upgrade the pitching staff. More if Davies traded or Guerra traded or Nelson let go.

Lineup:

LF > Grisham

2B > Hiura

RF > Yelich

1B > Thames

3B > Donaldson

C > Freitas

CF > Cain

SS > Iglesias

Bench:

Braun Gamel Pina Saladino Spangenberg

This lineup is packed with good plate approach hitters and good defenders with the exception of Hiura and Freitas. But they more than make up for below average defense with their offense.

Freitas plays the whole year with 350-400 AB’s, imo, he’ll hit .300 .350

Archived