Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-13: Twins (Pérez) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 7-5 -- Grandal hits go ahead 3-run HR in 7th; Hader serves up first pitch 3-run HR in 8th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, “Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it.”, doesn’t really apply here if a team is just pitching their rotation against us. These types of comments always have me scratching my head. I mean, you are always going to have things you’re better at as a team. But this RH/LH thing is so overblown.

In this case you are correct, as it appears the Twins haven't adjusted their rotation. But really ... scratching your head? It is pretty obvious that several teams have adjusted their rotations this season in order to match up lefty pitchers against this lineup. Frankly, Perez has been bad the last month ... so bad that he would be the type who would otherwise be skipped in a rotation to keep the other guys on their regular schedule. But that isn't going to happen against an offense that seemingly struggles to hit pretty much any lefty. I'll just agree to disagree with you that the RH/LH thing is overblown. This team was built to hit righties, and it seems like they are facing an inordinate amount of lefties this season as a result. That may not truly be the case, but in my small mind, it seems that way.

Lorenzo Cain career: .842 vs LHP/.730 vs RHP

Jesus Aguilar career: Basically even against both, actually better against RHP. However, he used to be a platoon bat that hit lefties well and was expected to be good against lefties.

Braun career: .986 vs LHP / .858 vs RHP

Hiura is a good, right-handed hitter

Pina actually had reverse splits in his career but is a righty

Grandal has been functional vs LHP the last few years

Moustakas has shown he can hit lefties the last few years

Yelich is still good against lefties

It was built to be neutral. Sometimes sh** happens and cannot be fixed with a magic wand or "common sense."

Not sure where to find it, but how many times have the Brewers faced a lefty this season? If it’s something like 80/40, with the majority being right handed, it wouldn’t really appear to be everybody throwing “any” lefty against us if 2/3 of the staters we face are righties. I think that would be about an expected amount if it’s anything similar to that.

Do we want the Cubs of Phillies to win today.

:ohwell

Phillies. Still have to have the goal of the division in mind. You're only a couple out and play the Cubs 7 more times. The WC play in game is such a crap shoot in itself, plus if you win you play LAD. Get the division and you avoid all that.

Sweet. Crappy lefty here to shut down the Crew! /blue

Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it. I totally understand that lefty power plays well in Miller Park, but this team went overboard with it, and is now paying the price.

Simple move today would have been to option Gamel to make room for Freitas, with Grandal getting some off days. Imo, Grandal is worn down, slow bat, 6 week slump, needs to rest. Why this isn’t being done, with Yelich back now is causing me to lose faith in Stearns even more than I already have this year with his chronic mismanagement of the roster.

We get it, you hate Stearns, and know way more than him about baseball. Could you let it a rest now and then?

Wow, kinda ridiculous people trying to defend this roster vs LHP. Grandal since first week of June hitting below .200 with zero homers. But let’s continue to trot him out there at 1B BECAUSE WE HAVE NO BETTER OPTIONS. The guys wore out, if he’s not catching, he’s at first, tired = slow bat = 6 week slump.

Just replacing a tired slumping bat at first base with a bat that all year is hitting LHP at a .525 clip would help not just vs the lefty’s but also allow Grandal to finally get the rest he needs to be able to produce again.

Now go ahead and refute just this one example of bad roster management.

Well, former Brewers great Nelson Cruz is on the DL right now. So that helps a bit. AS KS just said, I'll be happy getting 1 here. Sure would be nice to get game 1 though and have a chance at both.

Cruz would've gotten 2 ABs in this series at most, anyways.

Cruz has been a ridiculous HR hitting monster all season. He's been a fixture in the utility spot on my fantasy team all season...especially lately he's been basically unfair. He has at least 2 games with 3 hr this season with over 30 on the season...while missing time here and there and in all NL parks. 2 AB, I'd probably just walk him twice if possible and deal with the next guy.

Wow, kinda ridiculous people trying to defend this roster vs LHP. Grandal since first week of June hitting below .200 with zero homers. But let’s continue to trot him out there at 1B BECAUSE WE HAVE NO BETTER OPTIONS. The guys wore out, if he’s not catching, he’s at first, tired = slow bat = 6 week slump.

Just replacing a tired slumping bat at first base with a bat that all year is hitting LHP at a .525 clip would help not just vs the lefty’s but also allow Grandal to finally get the rest he needs to be able to produce again.

Now go ahead and refute just this one example of bad roster management.

I would like to see Freitas up ... but you pretty much made this point, almost verbatim, in this thread 2 1/2 hours ago.

Phillies. Still have to have the goal of the division in mind. You're only a couple out and play the Cubs 7 more times. The WC play in game is such a crap shoot in itself, plus if you win you play LAD. Get the division and you avoid all that.

Yeah... you're probably right. The "pragmatic" side of me was fighting with the "want" side of me.

:laughing

Questions are a burden.   And answers a prison for one's self.

I would like to see Freitas up ... but you pretty much made this point, almost verbatim, in this thread 2 1/2 hours ago.

I think with Grandal, you just have to trot him out there and hope he can turn it around. I'm not sure it does him much good to platoon or miss time. It might be somewhat better in the short term to play Pina against lefties and Braun at 1b, but obviously you get worse defensively at 1b and that probably is a negative impact on Grandal over the next month when he inevitably faces LH relievers late in games. Grandal is struggling on both sides of the plate right now, but I think you have to roll with him and hope he can find his early season magic.

This is what I'm expecting. If yelich isn't starting, probably will see Hiura 2 and everyone else slides up...Grisham would slot in 7th.

Cain

Yelich

Braun

Hiura

Moose

Grandal

Pina

Perez/Arcia

P

Can we switch the anger on this thread to the twins?

All of their free agents have been better than expected, their division is atrocious and suddenly their failed prospects have all arrived at once this year. I’m still sick of them continually being run better, as well. The cardinals of the AL. There, let’s hate them

"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

I was looking closer, and I'm not sure I am that terrified of this Twins team. Since the break, only Kepler and Cruz have hit well. They have a lot of guys in the 700s for OPS, but they were much more scary in the first half. We also are getting their worst 2 starters, and they don't have a lockdown bullpen arm. Also, most of their best relievers are RH. Only Taylor Rogers is LH. So even today, we'll likely be able to give Thames a key PH spot against a RH reliever like Romo or Dyson or May.

At this point, yeah, I'm not sure why they even acquired Freitas. He deserves a shot.

I understand PCL numbers should be taken with a grain of salt, but his are pretty incredible. You still have to hit. Just ask Corey Ray.

We get it, you hate Stearns, and know way more than him about baseball. Could you let it a rest now and then?

Click on the name.

Click add foe.

Just assume any posts are exactly the same and ignore them. Makes life much more pleasant around here.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

All of their free agents have been better than expected, their division is atrocious and suddenly their failed prospects have all arrived at once this year. I’m still sick of them continually being run better, as well. The cardinals of the AL. There, let’s hate them

Sure thing.

Not all of their FA > Schoop = meh.

Community Moderator

The Brewers are a more successful franchise than the Twins in recent years. The Twins haven't won a playoff series since 2002!

Winning seasons, last 10 years:

Brewers: 5

Twins: 4

Playoff appearances, last 10 years:

Brewers: 2

Twins: 3

Playoff wins, last 10 years:

Brewers: 11

Twins: 0

I was looking closer, and I'm not sure I am that terrified of this Twins team. Since the break, only Kepler and Cruz have hit well. They have a lot of guys in the 700s for OPS, but they were much more scary in the first half. We also are getting their worst 2 starters, and they don't have a lockdown bullpen arm. Also, most of their best relievers are RH. Only Taylor Rogers is LH. So even today, we'll likely be able to give Thames a key PH spot against a RH reliever like Romo or Dyson or May.

44-16 against BAL, CWS, DET, KC, LAA, SEA, TEX, TOR

27-31 against everyone else. And in "everyone else" their interleague games are lumped in so there is some Miami in there.

Usually, "well of course good teams beat the bad teams" is a thing but this year is different. A good deal of those AL tanking teams are historically bad.

The Twins haven’t won a postseason game since 2004.

Minnesota Twins (1961-pressent):

0.496 winning %

12 Playoff appearances

3 Pennants/W.S.

2 Championships

Milwaukee Brewers (1970-present):

0.482 winning %

5 Playoff appearances

1 Pennant/W.S.

0 championships

Yeah, aren't the Brewers great!

44-16 against BAL, CWS, DET, KC, LAA, SEA, TEX, TOR

27-31 against everyone else. And in "everyone else" their interleague games are lumped in so there is some Miami in there.

Usually, "well of course good teams beat the bad teams" is a thing but this year is different. A good deal of those AL tanking teams are historically bad.

Dang, that's pretty telling. At the same time, we really haven't taken advantage of bad teams. But as you've noted AL bad teams are so much worse than NL bad teams. They've taken 4 of 7 against the Astros, 5 of 7 against the Rays, 5 of 6 against the Angels(they aren't a bad team)...every other team they have a winning record against is a really bad team. They are below 500 against the Indians, Athletics, Braves, Red Sox, Yankees, Phillies, and early season Mets.

Meanwhile, the Brewers are below 500 against the Dodgers, Cubs, Marlins, Athletics, Giants, Mariners, Angels, and Padres. Half that list makes absolutely no sense. It basically tells you they can be really really good, but need to find consistency. Or, we just played some bad teams at the worst possible times(Notably Marlins and Giants)

Archived