Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-13: Twins (Pérez) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 7-5 -- Grandal hits go ahead 3-run HR in 7th; Hader serves up first pitch 3-run HR in 8th]

Eye Black
Sorry, but Hader should have been up way sooner. 1 run lead, top of the 8th, why on earth would you not have Hader getting loose right after we took the lead?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have no idea what we saw in Pomeranz to acquire him, let alone for him to be the guy here in the 8th in a close game. He isn't good. And when he misses, he's not even close.

The three really good relief appearances right before the trade. Stearns doesn’t believe in the whole small sample size thing.

In 95 career relief innings Pomeranz has a 2.84 ERA.

The sample is larger than three outings.

Also, he was available for a player the organization seemed to view as expendable.

Sorry, but Hader should have been up way sooner. 1 run lead, top of the 8th, why on earth would you not have Hader getting loose right after we took the lead?

That’s what I’m thinking, if he’s available today, that’s the spot he needs to be used. No reason to mess around putting Pomeranz in that spot.

I have no idea what we saw in Pomeranz to acquire him, let alone for him to be the guy here in the 8th in a close game. He isn't good. And when he misses, he's not even close.

The three really good relief appearances right before the trade. Stearns doesn’t believe in the whole small sample size thing.

In 95 career relief innings Pomeranz has a 2.84 ERA.

The sample is larger than three outings.

Also, he was available for a player the organization seemed to view as expendable.

Yea, that was mostly sarcastic, but did not realize he had that many relief appearances. Think they feel Black has a chance at a real high ceiling as well.

At some point guys aside from Hader have got to consistently get outs late in close games - asking Hader to come in every time he's relatively rested for 6 outs if the Brewers have a slight lead is just a bad way to use him, particularly when he's scuffled lately with those assignments. Even if he gets through 2 IP to close a game, he's likely unavailable to close the next two games.

And that's pretty much why Hader shouldn't be considered a multi inning stopper when he's going like this right now. He's not getting the job done.

Archived