Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-13: Twins (Pérez) at Brewers (Anderson) [Brewers lose, 7-5 -- Grandal hits go ahead 3-run HR in 7th; Hader serves up first pitch 3-run HR in 8th]

Eye Black

48527561606_8e6b4300eb_c.jpg

48527561631_e28eccccf4_c.jpg

[pre]Twins Lineup Brewers Lineup

1. Max Kepler (L) CF 1. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

2. Mitch Garver ® C 2. Keston Hiura ® 2B

3. Jorge Polanco (S) SS 3. Christian Yelich (L) RF

4. Eddie Rosario (L) LF 4. Ryan Braun ® LF

5. Miguel Sano ® 3B 5. Yasmani Grandal (S) 1B

6. Luis Arraez (L) 2B 6. Mike Moustakas (L) 3B

7. C.J. Cron ® 1B 7. Manny Pina ® C

8. Marwin Gonzalez (S) RF 8. Hernan Perez ® SS

9. Martin Perez (L) P 9. Chase Anderson ® P[/pre]

Chase Anderson: Batter (Twins) vs Pitching Stats

Martín Pérez: Batter (Brewers) vs Pitching Stats

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet. Crappy lefty here to shut down the Crew! /blue

Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it. I totally understand that lefty power plays well in Miller Park, but this team went overboard with it, and is now paying the price.

Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it. I totally understand that lefty power plays well in Miller Park, but this team went overboard with it, and is now paying the price.

Simple move today would have been to option Gamel to make room for Freitas, with Grandal getting some off days. Imo, Grandal is worn down, slow bat, 6 week slump, needs to rest. Why this isn’t being done, with Yelich back now is causing me to lose faith in Stearns even more than I already have this year with his chronic mismanagement of the roster.

If it's probable, it shouldn't be in blue...

We are .500 against all lefty starters this season, so it's not probable.

Against crappy leftties (worse than league average FIP) we are 7-4.

Perez, however, is right in the sweet spot of mediocrity (99 FIP- / 102 ERA-) this year.

I guess they'll just have to play the actual game & see what transpires.

Simple move today would have been to option Gamel to make room for Freitas, with Grandal getting some off days. Imo, Grandal is worn down, slow bat, 6 week slump, needs to rest. Why this isn’t being done, with Yelich back now is causing me to lose faith in Stearns even more than I already have this year with his chronic mismanagement of the roster.

So I imagine you're gonna be a little mad when Tyler Austin is getting those RHH 1B reps in a week or so ...

Did the Twins shuffle Perez to make this start against the Brewers or is this just his normal turn?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Did the Twins shuffle Perez to make this start against the Brewers or is this just his normal turn?

He went 6 innings last Wednesday against the Braves, so he's going on 6 days rest tonight. He's also been pretty bad for the last month or so. But today would probably be his normal turn.

No way Austin gets AB’s before Freitas. Austin is a power bat, high K, we already have a boatload of em in our lineup. He’s a depth move.

I think this team has proven this year that they don't always make the moves that you, me, any of us (or really, logic and common sense) dictates that they make.

He went 6 innings last Wednesday against the Braves, so he's going on 6 days rest tonight. He's also been pretty bad for the last month or so.

They had an off day yesterday though so it looks like it’s his regular scheduled day to pitch.

If it's probable, it shouldn't be in blue...

We are .500 against all lefty starters this season, so it's not probable.

Against crappy leftties (worse than league average FIP) we are 7-4.

Perez, however, is right in the sweet spot of mediocrity (99 FIP- / 102 ERA-) this year.

I guess they'll just have to play the actual game & see what transpires.

Not probable correct. But since we’re 5 over vs RHP, less likely to win than if facing RHP.

No way Austin gets AB’s before Freitas. Austin is a power bat, high K, we already have a boatload of em in our lineup. He’s a depth move.

I think this team has proven this year that they don't always make the moves that you, me, any of us (or really, logic and common sense) dictates that they make.

The team for 1.75 seasons now has generally outplayed their Pythagorean run differential as well as outplayed a lot of the projection systems.

For most moves, I think the fans are generally the ones with less logic/common sense here*. A lot of moves have been to pick between bad player A and less bad player B and they have generally put enough duct tape on the thing to keep their heads above water.

* - Other than maybe the Hiura move, which may have had monetary motivations behind it.

Your right on with that statement. So I suppose I should brace myself for the inevitable 2019, high school drop out type, roster move. Sometimes I wonder about common sense leaving ones mind with the “Harvard educated” diploma.

Generally agree and all. However, for the blame game they couldn't have really expected Cain to fall off so drastically this year, so that should be a good bat vs LHP. Braun has been fairly good all year but his normal LHP mashing hasn't been there. They got a switch hitting C and a backup who's RH. 1st base they had a RH Platoon all star who flopped. Soooo, they're colossal mistake in team building was not getting a RH 3B/2B instead of Moose and not predicting Jesus would flop? The 4th OF make sense to be LH due to Braun being RH.

Generally agree and all. However, for the blame game they couldn't have really expected Cain to fall off so drastically this year, so that should be a good bat vs LHP. Braun has been fairly good all year but his normal LHP mashing hasn't been there. They got a switch hitting C and a backup who's RH. 1st base they had a RH Platoon all star who flopped. Soooo, they're colossal mistake in team building was not getting a RH 3B/2B instead of Moose and not predicting Jesus would flop? The 4th OF make sense to be LH due to Braun being RH.

Oh no doubt. The guys paid to hit lefties this season have seemingly underperformed in that role, which magnifies the problem perhaps to a grander level than what it really is. When you combine that with a roster with a couple of guys like Thames and Shaw who should never face a lefty pitcher, it really hamstrings you. Yelich has been good against lefties, and Moose hasn't been a trainwreck against them, so that has helped.

The team for 1.75 seasons now has generally outplayed their Pythagorean run differential as well as outplayed a lot of the projection systems.

For most moves, I think the fans are generally the ones with less logic/common sense here*. A lot of moves have been to pick between bad player A and less bad player B and they have generally put enough duct tape on the thing to keep their heads above water.

* - Other than maybe the Hiura move, which may have had monetary motivations behind it.

Shaw almost single handily destroyed this team THIS YEAR. Same with the early bullpen shuttle, Barnes Williams Petricka Wilson etc., way way way way way way too LH hitting dependent. Why is Arcia still in this lineup instead of an upgrade, which easily could have been done at the deadline. Galvis is an upgrade by war and could have been had for salary. I could go on and on but isn’t that enough? DFA Perez? Then call him up to put in lineup vs LHP instead of calling up a player that is hitting .525 vs em. *Edited...please adhere to posting rules and etiquette*

Shaw almost single handily destroyed this team THIS YEAR. Same with the early bullpen shuttle, Barnes Williams Petricka Wilson etc., way way way way way way too LH hitting dependent. Why is Arcia still in this lineup instead of an upgrade, which easily could have been done at the deadline. Galvis is an upgrade by war and could have been had for salary. I could go on and on but isn’t that enough? DFA Perez? Then call him up to put in lineup vs LHP instead of calling up a player that is hitting .525 vs em. It’s like he and Counsell have a secret drinking problem that’s causing the both to go from the best in the business at their respective jobs to the worst almost overnight. Of course this is just my opinion and doesn’t necessarily express the views of this board.

Somebody posted above - all of the right-handed options just happened to not play well this year. Cain, Aguilar, Braun (not mashing lefties).

The bullpen has been hot garbage outside of Hader and maybe a few solid options. It's the easiest thing to do in the world for fans to do is get mad that Counsell picked X pitcher...except they cannot comprehend that pitcher Y would've been a worse option.

For every time Shaw has destroyed the team, the "high school diploma, common sense fan" would've DFA'ed/cut one month in 2018 Chacin, 2019 Albers, 2019 Anderson.

They are not perfect in decision making but there is logic and reason if you get yourself out of, "I'm gonna be unreasonably mad every time my team loses" mindset.

He went 6 innings last Wednesday against the Braves, so he's going on 6 days rest tonight. He's also been pretty bad for the last month or so.

They had an off day yesterday though so it looks like it’s his regular scheduled day to pitch.

So, “Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it.”, doesn’t really apply here if a team is just pitching their rotation against us. These types of comments always have me scratching my head. I mean, you are always going to have things you’re better at as a team. But this RH/LH thing is so overblown.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

So, “Teams are going to do it the rest of the year against the Brewers. The front office made this bed, and now they are unfortunately forced to sleep in it.”, doesn’t really apply here if a team is just pitching their rotation against us. These types of comments always have me scratching my head. I mean, you are always going to have things you’re better at as a team. But this RH/LH thing is so overblown.

In this case you are correct, as it appears the Twins haven't adjusted their rotation. But really ... scratching your head? It is pretty obvious that several teams have adjusted their rotations this season in order to match up lefty pitchers against this lineup. Frankly, Perez has been bad the last month ... so bad that he would be the type who would otherwise be skipped in a rotation to keep the other guys on their regular schedule. But that isn't going to happen against an offense that seemingly struggles to hit pretty much any lefty. I'll just agree to disagree with you that the RH/LH thing is overblown. This team was built to hit righties, and it seems like they are facing an inordinate amount of lefties this season as a result. That may not truly be the case, but in my small mind, it seems that way.

I know a lot of people are dogging Cain, he's actually been hitting the ball really hard since the break. Lots of line drives as well, I think he's been fairly unlucky on balls falling in and that will inevitably change.

I'll be very happy to get one of two against this offense...

Archived