Brewer Fanatic

Shake up in the Brewers Scouting department

markedman5

I suspect that it's holdover guys from the Melvin regime who didn't/wouldn't/couldn't adapt to a new strategy. It would be interesting if they moved from some newer hires.

I don't know any of the names in their scouting department. Hope they land on their feet.

I suspect that it's holdover guys from the Melvin regime who didn't/wouldn't/couldn't adapt to a new strategy. It would be interesting if they moved from some newer hires.

I don't know any of the names in their scouting department. Hope they land on their feet.

Stearns has been here long enough you would think those guys would have been gone by now.

Stearns has been here long enough you would think those guys would have been gone by now.

Any hard-core refuse to adapt types are probably long gone. However, it's likely that they are doing some heavy internal review and cross-checking and this batch isn't making the grade. Without insider knowledge, we'll never know.

I would guess this has more to do with trimming off fat so to speak...positions that just aren't needed. I highly doubt it is people refusing to adapt. I don't think scouts are that stubborn of individuals, they make pretty modest salaries.

#Brewers dismissed pro scouting crosschecker Ryan Thompson, regional supervisor Brian Sankey and area scout Dan Huston, sources tell The Athletic. Other changes possible.

Sankey is the scout credited for the Jonathan Lucroy pick in 2007 and Nate Orf more recently.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

They needed to make changes the system has not really produced.

I think the failure to foster impact talent in the system has been impacted by a weak presence in the International market for many years more than an indictment of the stateside amateur scouts. Finding true difference makers in baseball is difficult and a lot of that talent comes from abroad.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don't think three changes constitute a big change in philosophy. I wonder how many GMs and owners are keeping their eyes on the Astros as they have completely changed their way of scouting running a scouting staff about half the size of the Brewers and emphasizing video and statistics more.

The MLB changes creating international signing bonus pools is very beneficial for the smaller market teams, including the Brewers. Prior to their implementation, "big name" teams could just outspend everyone.

Yes, leveled the playing field somewhat, although the high revenue teams still spend way more on overseas scouting, logistics etc.

could any of these guys have had an impact on the decision made to start the year with Peralta and Burnes in the rotation? Are scouts involved in those kind of personnel descisions (ie. what FA arms to get/trade for?) I feel like they would be?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

could any of these guys have had an impact on the decision made to start the year with Peralta and Burnes in the rotation? Are scouts involved in those kind of personnel descisions (ie. what FA arms to get/trade for?) I feel like they would be?

Meh...they just give reports. Stearns is the guy to decide those things. Burnes/Peralta both looked fairly good last year and that is why they went that route. I doubt it had to do with some scout saying the FA pitchers that Stearns liked were terrible ideas. No scout is telling Stearns what he should or should not do. If anyone would be to blame on the scouting side it would be the scouting director. He is likely the main guy compiling those reports and giving recommendations based on what Stearns is looking for.

Below is their list of scouts. Interestingly there are only three pro scouts. I have absolutely no idea if this includes the fired individuals or not. Someone with am media guide would have to tell us that.

SCOUTING

Supervisor - Pro Scouting Bryan Gale

Supervisor - Pro Scouting Taylor Green

Pro Scouting Crosschecker Mike Berger

Pro Scouting Crosschecker Ben McDonough

Pro Scouting Crosschecker Ryan Thompson

Pro Scouting Crosschecker Derek Watson

Pro/Amateur Scouts

Ross Pruitt

Pro/International Scouts

Bryan Bullington

Professional Scouts

Lary Aaron

Jeff Bianchi

Pete Vuckovich Jr.

Amateur Scouts

National Supervisor - Scouting Doug Reynolds

Supervisor - Scout Teams/West Coast Special Assignment Scout Corey Rodriguez

Regional Supervisor Josh Belovsky

Regional Supervisor Dan Nellum

Regional Supervisor - Scouting Drew Anderson

Regional Supervisor Brian Sankey

Regional Supervisor Mike Serbalik

Area Scout Ty Blankmeyer

Area Scout Mike Burns

Area Scout Pete Orr

Area Scout James Fisher

Area Scout Taylor Frederick

Area Scout Joe Graham

Area Scout KJ Hendricks

Area Scout Dan Huston

Area Scout Harvey Kuenn, Jr.

Area Scout Lazaro Llanes

Area Scout Mark Muzzi

Area Scout Scott Nichols

Area Scout Wynn Pelzer

Area Scout Jeff Scholzen

Area Scout Jeff Simpson

Area Scout Craig Smajstrla

Area Scout Riley Bandelow

Area Scout Steve Smith

Area Scout Shawn Whalen

Highly doubt it on Burnes/ Peralta.......those decisions are likely made by Stearns CC, Arnold etc........

Highly doubt it on Burnes/ Peralta.......those decisions are likely made by Stearns CC, Arnold etc........

I would think it would be Stearns, CC and Hook deciding on starting vs. relieving for Burnes and Peralta or who is in the starting rotation.

I would assume Hook would have talked to Karsay and the catchers beforehand, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived