Brewer Fanatic

2020 Brewers Starters

balsamlaker

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

There is literally zero reason to extend either of these guys before FA. You think there will be a bidding war for those guys? Doubtful, just pay them in FA. More likely we get a bargain waiting then somehow have it cost us money for not doing it in season.

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

There is literally zero reason to extend either of these guys before FA. You think there will be a bidding war for those guys? Doubtful, just pay them in FA. More likely we get a bargain waiting then somehow have it cost us money for not doing it in season.

Yeah, and while we waited for a bargain, Gio went to the Yankees for a few weeks.

If we can lock them down - and probably do it for a reasonable cost (say, $4 to $4.5 million per year), I'd do it. We have seen other pitchers (Woodruff, Davies) get hurt. Plus, Chacin will likely walk.

Locks- Woodruff, Davies

Near lock- Anderson

Swing guys- Houser, Suter, Peralta?, Burnes?, Faria?, Nelson?

Young guys- Supak, Brown? File?, Bettinger?, Francis?, Rasmussen?, Belisario?, Jankins?

FAs- Lyles, Gonzalez, Chacin, Pomeranz

There's a lot of names up there and almost as many question marks. Somebody will be signed, and hopefully it's somebody more significant than Jordan Lyles.

Locks- Woodruff, Davies

Near lock- Anderson

Young guys- Supak, Brown? File?, Bettinger?, Francis?, Rasmussen?, Belisario?, Jankins?

There's a lot of names up there and almost as many question marks. Somebody will be signed, and hopefully it's somebody more significant than Jordan Lyles.

Going on Lyles this year, and with the Crew last year... I think he may have unlocked something.

Giving him a deal on the order of three years (2020-2022) at $4.5 million each, with an option for a fourth at $6 million with a $2 million buyout is cheaper than what Chacin got.

As for Gio, I think he is worth a deal in the 3 years, $17.5 million range. Option for a fourth at $8 million, with a $2.5 million buyout.

I'd also lock up Pomeranz as a bullpen arm to replace Claudio - 3 years, $9 million.

That would give the Crew

Locks - Woodruff, Davies, Gio, Anderson

Swing - Lyles, Houser, Peralta, Faria

Young Guns - Supak, Rasmussen, Roegner, Bettinger, File

Questions (injury/otherwise) - Nelson, Burnes, Suter

Locks- Woodruff, Davies

Near lock- Anderson

We have a lot of competition...that's good. Most aren't candidates for regression, seeing as they're having bad or injured years. At this point, this is how I would rate things:

locks: Woodruff, Anderson

who should get the next look: Nelson, Houser, Gio Gonzalez (seems to say nice things about Milwaukee, the club, etc)

Needs to show something--could be in AAA, rotation, or pen: Burnes, Peralta

Bring back at right price or for depth: Lyles (I like how he's striking out more these last two years as a fit for our park, no matter the role)

Trade: Davies (he had a nice start to the year. His loss of velocity made him a novelty in April and May, but his ball doesn't appear to be moving as much and is getting hit hard)

Gio should be locked up now. The way that the market is, gio could be had for 2/10. Sorry, but Jordan shouldn’t be the quality we go for. Get gio as a backend, trade some surplus and sign a frontline starter to pair with woodruff. No matter who we buy the hitting stinks so let’s try some pitching for once.
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Depends on which way Stearns/Attanasio decide to go:

A.) 1-2 year re-tool > this imo, is the way to go, but Attanasio/Stearns might not have the courage/stomach for it. Trade Yelich Hader Davies Cain Anderson for prospects.

Rotation: Woodruff Houser Burnes Peralta Suter Supak Bettinger

B.) Compete in 2020 > trade Davies

Rotation: Woodruff FA FA Houser Anderson Burnes Peralta Suter Supak Bettinger

I'd look to bring Gio back. Has pitched well, good to have a lefty, and seems like a good veteran presence in the club house.

In addition I'd also look at the FA market for another starter, I like Alex Wood but I'd expect a lot of competition. Maybe a not too expensive trade could be done for a starter entering his last year of team control.

Woodruff, Gio, Free Agent, Anderson, Davies would be the default going into ST. Houser, Suter, Peralta, Supak, Burnes, Faria would be their main competition. Sign a couple of NRIs and try to find this year's Miley. I like Houser and Suter the most among them right now. Burnes... I just don't know what's going on. He should be so, so much better.

If trading Anderson or Davies (i.e the only "expensive" pitchers in this group) would be needed to afford a good FA (In addition to the money spent on 3B, SS, bullpen, 1B) and maybe get a useful player back, I'd be OK with that. But I like the idea of having some guys we know in there. Davies and Anderson won't win any Cy Youngs, but if they perform in the vicinity of their career numbers that's a pretty damn good bottom of the rotation.

Woodruff, Davies, Anderson are the locks. Unless they’re willing to rebuild, they should bring in 2 FA pitchers: one cheaper (Gio, Lyles, Miley) and one to pair with Woodruff at the top (Keuchel, Ryu, etc.). There are a lot of FA SP this offseason and the other organizational depth can start in AAA or bullpen

Going on Lyles this year, and with the Crew last year... I think he may have unlocked something.

Giving him a deal on the order of three years (2020-2022) at $4.5 million each, with an option for a fourth at $6 million with a $2 million buyout is cheaper than what Chacin got.

Lyles has a 2.43 ERA in 33 1/3 innings as a Brewer pitcher, but a 5.33 ERA in his other 834 2/3 innings. Really, giving a 3 year deal to a guy with a lifetime 5.22 ERA? Giving out multi-year contracts based on 3.8% of his lifetime performance doesn't seem like a wise investment to me.

Lyles?

Let’s calm down a bit.

Yeah, and while we waited for a bargain, Gio went to the Yankees for a few weeks.

If we can lock them down - and probably do it for a reasonable cost (say, $4 to $4.5 million per year), I'd do it. We have seen other pitchers (Woodruff, Davies) get hurt. Plus, Chacin will likely walk.

Gio Gonzalez was a bargain, as was Wade Miley. Stearns just opted to make sure every single potential young guy had a rotation spot and it imploded in his face epically.

Lyles would take your deal...because, who is giving him that much in 1.5 months? Gonzalez probably won't take anything that isn't close to what he thinks is his max potential on the market this winter. It is a weak SP market, if I recall correctly, coming up and he is a little over a month from hitting that. Not too much risk if you ask me to just wait unless you get a great deal.

Locks- Woodruff, Davies

Near lock- Anderson

I would argue Anderson should be a lock before Davies. I would definitely try to bring Gio back. We should have a lot of young guys in AAA ready to come up. I hope we sign a FA starter but also at least one back of the bullpen guy to go with Hader and Knebel. I still believe our rotation would have been fine if we would have had the bullpen to allow our starters to only have to go 5 innings like last year

Locks- Woodruff, Davies

Near lock- Anderson

As for Gio, I think he is worth a deal in the 3 years, $17.5 million range. Option for a fourth at $8 million, with a $2.5 million buyout.

I'd also lock up Pomeranz as a bullpen arm to replace Claudio - 3 years, $9 million.

That would give the Crew

Locks - Woodruff, Davies, Gio, Anderson

Swing - Lyles, Houser, Peralta, Faria

Young Guns - Supak, Rasmussen, Roegner, Bettinger, File

Questions (injury/otherwise) - Nelson, Burnes, Suter

Why give so many years? Guys like this just aren't getting 3 year deals in free agency right now. They'd all be lucky to get 2 guaranteed years.

Woodruff should be the only lock, IMO.

Brewers won't be making the playoffs anytime soon with this hodgepodge of mediocre talent in the starting rotation.

Let FA's Chacin, Gio, Pomeranz and Lyles walk. (sign a better Free Agent if possible)

Look to trade Anderson and Davies while they still have any semblance of value.

Put Freddy back in rotation and let him figure it out.

Wildcards: Jake Faria, Corbin Burnes, Jimmy Nelson, Adrian Houser, Brent Suter

I agree with what most people have said already. Davies, Anderson, and Wodruff all appear to be trending toward a rotation spot (assuming all are with the team on opening day).

I think the Brewers will learn from their strategy this season by relying too heavily on the young internal options. Peralta, Burnes, and Houser could all wind up in the rotation next year but I think they will make a more conscious effort to bring in some cheap veteran arms. That could mean retaining some of the impending free agents like Gio, Chacin, and Lyles or targeting other guys. I think they can afford to wait out the market a little on the SP front though and sign guys who last late into the off season. They don't need to jump at guys early in the off season like the Angels did with Cahill and Harvey last year.

I think Nelson is probably a non-tender guy. Suter I like more in a swing man type role. Not sure on Faria, but he's out of options in 2020 and probably a relief/swing man type role.

Colin McHugh strikes me as a guy who might be of interest to the Brewers. Low velocity swing man type who might be undervalued in free agency.

Brewers won't be making the playoffs anytime soon with this hodgepodge of mediocre talent in the starting rotation.

Let FA's Chacin, Gio, Pomeranz and Lyles walk. (sign a better Free Agent if possible)

Your plan only seems make the rotation worse...which I give it to ya, that's pretty hard to do.

What exactly is your plan to improve the rotation? Because all you have said is keep Woodruff, let the trash walk, then trade anyone with a hint of value, put Peralta back in (downgrade), and mention (mostly) a bunch of garbage as possibilities. Your wildcards can't possibly be filling 2/5 of the spots (as you mention Woodruff in, probably a FA signing, and Peralta in your rotation). Seems, at best, similar to this year...likely worse

Your plan only seems make the rotation worse...which I give it to ya, that's pretty hard to do.

What exactly is your plan to improve the rotation? Because all you have said is keep Woodruff, let the trash walk, then trade anyone with a hint of value, put Peralta back in (downgrade), and mention (mostly) a bunch of garbage as possibilities. Your wildcards can't possibly be filling 2/5 of the spots (as you mention Woodruff in, probably a FA signing, and Peralta in your rotation). Seems, at best, similar to this year...likely worse

1. Sign MadBum as Free Agent

2. Trade a combination of Davies/Anderson/Burnes and prospects to Orioles for Dylan Bundy

2020 Rotation

1. Brandon Woodruff

2. Madison Bumgarner

3. Dylan Bundy

4. Freddy Peralta

5. Jake Faria

Swingman: Brent Suter

Rotation Depth:

Whoever we don't trade of Davies/Anderson/Burnes

Jimmy Nelson

Adrian Houser

Prospects on the way...

Ethan Small

Aaron Ashby

Drew Rasmussen

Trey Supak

Zack Brown

etc.

Replace Moustakas and/or Grandal with cheaper options so we can afford to sign MadBum or Ryu, perhaps

Gio should be locked up now. The way that the market is, gio could be had for 2/10. Sorry, but Jordan shouldn’t be the quality we go for. Get gio as a backend, trade some surplus and sign a frontline starter to pair with woodruff. No matter who we buy the hitting stinks so let’s try some pitching for once.

Gio was more or less a league average pitcher in 2018. This year he has pitched a total of 50 innings and was released by one team. Guys like that don't typically have teams banging in their door for multi-year deals. I think he's definitely someone we could look to bring back for 2020 though.

Good chance it’s going to be Woodruff, Anderson, Davies, Hauser and then one of Burnes, Sutter, or Faria. I wouldn’t mind bringing Gio or Lyles back as depth depending on how the market plays out.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

They need to let the season play out before looking to 2020. Most of their pitchers have up and down performance histories or have yet to establish themselves as reliable major leaguers. A number are returning from injury sooner or later. They need to first evaluate who they have under control, then arbitration guys and, lastly those who will be free agents. Save for Woodruff and Hader they have a lot of arms but more questions than answers.

I think Peralta is firmly in the bullpen at this point, but I wouldn't write off Burnes completely as most seem to. He's still young, he clearly has the stuff, something is simply off right now. The arm is so good, I think the smart money should be on him finding a fix eventually and being a really good arm for us at some point. Maybe that's 2020, maybe not.

I think Woodruff is probably the only lock at this point. Anderson is a lock if his option is exercised. Have to think it probably will be but no guarantees yet. Unless we add someone, it will probably be Davies, Nelson, Burnes, Suter, Houser, Supak, Brown and Faria competing for 3 rotation spots. I think smart money should be on us bringing in someone like Lyles/GG and letting that group compete for 2 spots instead of 3. In an ideal world, we shell out and finally bring in a high end arm for whatever prospects we have to pair with Woodruff...but Stearns has shown he's hesitant to make that move.

Archived