Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-11: Rangers (Minor) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers lose, 1-0]

Eye Black

Hurdle is misunderstood around these parts. Other than this year, gets his players to consistently play above their talent level, year after year. In the rare years when they had talent, got them to win almost 100 games. Absolutely great manager, great motivator, players love him.

His pitching Philosophy is pitch up and in > smart, since studies have shown ave down after the high and tight one, and after the hit by pitch. If the team you were managing was consistently outmanned talent wise, wouldn’t you try to gain any advantage you could over your opponent?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hurdle is misunderstood around these parts. Other than this year, gets his players to consistently play above their talent level, year after year. In the rare years when they had talent, got them to win almost 100 games. Absolutely great manager, great motivator, players love him.

His pitching Philosophy is pitch up and in > smart, since studies have shown ave down after the high and tight one, and after the hit by pitch. If the team you were managing was consistently outmanned talent wise, wouldn’t you try to gain any advantage you could over your opponent?

His gum chewing sucks.

Lefties we've beat...

Quintana (twice), Urias, Caleb Ferguson, Ryu, Freeland, Matz, Vargas, Caleb Smith, Brault (four times!), MadBum, Keuchel, Alex Young, Lester, Brett Anderson, Kolby Allard.

Lefties who beat us...

Hamels (thrice), Urias, Kershaw, Matz, Lester, Max Fried (twice), Devin Smetzler, Pomeranz (do we get this one back? hafta call the league office), MadBum, Luchessi, Logan Allen, Matt Strahm, Marco Gonzalez, Quintana (twice), Minor.

By my count we are 12-15 vs "good" lefties (better than league average FIP) & 7-4 vs "bad" lefties (worse than league average FIP), for whatever that is or isn't worth.

So our record is worse against lefties than righties. Hopefully we don’t face that many the rest of the year

Call me crazy, but I don't see Counsell firing the guy who was his head coach in college (& someone he considers a mentor) so he can bring in Clint Hurdle to tell him he needs to order his pitchers to throw at more people's heads.

Someone in that dugout needs to slap some sense into him. His obsessive overuse of Guerra and Claudio would be comical if it wasn’t so asinine.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Call me crazy, but I don't see Counsell firing the guy who was his head coach in college (& someone he considers a mentor) so he can bring in Clint Hurdle to tell him he needs to order his pitchers to throw at more people's heads.

Someone in that dugout needs to slap some sense into him. His obsessive overuse of Guerra and Claudio would be comical if it wasn’t so asinine.

Guerra has had a solid season despite less than impressive peripherals. He's been steady if unspectacular.

I just got back home from the game, long day. Had a good time despite the missing offense and loss. My biggest observation from the day: Paper Straws... NO.... just NO. That has to be the dumbest idea in the history of ideas that have caught on enough to be at a ball park.

Archived