Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-11: Rangers (Minor) at Brewers (Lyles) [Brewers lose, 1-0]

Eye Black

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a massive sweep. Brewers favored. Gamblers loving lyles? No Yelich?

Btw. Quick question. Don’t you think the hader getting five or six outs strategy should be tabled. Now that he’s not automatic it might be better just to use him in a more traditional one inning mode

That might get him back on track. And maybe get more games out of him too as he’s still the best reliever

Should have been tabled a month ago. He should be their guy that is used in the 7-8-9th inning when they need to get through the other teams best hitters. If the other pen members can do their jobs with the other guys, this team isn’t going anywhere anyways.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

This would be a massive sweep. Brewers favored. Gamblers loving lyles? No Yelich?

Btw. Quick question. Don’t you think the hader getting five or six outs strategy should be tabled. Now that he’s not automatic it might be better just to use him in a more traditional one inning mode

That might get him back on track. And maybe get more games out of him too as he’s still the best reliever

I fully expect Yelich to be out again today with the off day tomorrow. Certainly not a gravy game today. A 6-0 week would help overcome much of the damage of last week’s 1-5 and sweep by the Cubs.

I agree that the use of Hader for multiple innings should have been junked some time ago. As I and others halve been saying for a long time, if nobody else in the bullpen can be trusted to pitch a scoreless inning, the team is screwed anyway. Using Hader to the point of making him ineffective just makes things worse. And, since the beginning of July, Hader has had a number of shaky outings.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

My first game of the year, and first game ever for my 4 year old. We have about a three and a half hour drive down. We usually get down before this though, just been a busy summer. Was hoping Yelich would be back, he’s my son’s favorite player by far. We’re about halfway down now, hopefully getting ready to see the sweep.

Hader has 18 multi inning appearances this season, 14 of which have been clean. He has allowed a total of 5 ER over 33.1 IP for a 1.35 ERA in these appearances.

Hader has 25 one inning or less appearances this season, 17 of which have been clean. He has allowed a total of 12 ER over 22 IP for a 4.91 ERA in these appearances.

I think Hader's recent problems have more to do with shaky command of one pitch that maybe the league is finally figuring out after two years than it does his usage pattern.

Hader has 18 multi inning appearances this season, 14 of which have been clean. He has allowed a total of 5 ER over 33.1 IP for a 1.35 ERA in these appearances.

Hader has 25 one inning or less appearances this season, 17 of which have been clean. He has allowed a total of 12 ER over 22 IP for a 4.91 ERA in these appearances.

I think Hader's recent problems have more to do with shaky command of one pitch that maybe the league is finally figuring out after two years than it does his usage pattern.

Those numbers are going to be skewed if you don’t take them into context though. For example. The dodger game is only one inning total by the outs he got but it really was supposed to be a multi inning appearance. He was just so bad they had to take him out. There are other games like that too

There is no doubt that this worked during the year. I’m just wondering if it might be better to scrap this for awhile until he gets his mojo back

I love that Perez got demoted, but since returning has already started 2 of 3 games. Heh.

I oddly feel like Arcia is getting treated similar to Villar. Is he productive? Not really. Are they starting less productive guys over him at times? Yes.

Perez I get against lefties. But seems like him and Saladino have been forced a bit at times. They don’t produce better than Arcia and have less range.

Of Hader's 25 appearances of 1 IP or less, 19 were 9th inning only or in extras.

Going through the game logs for the other 6 games it looks like the only other time he was likely intended to go multiple innings, but didn't because he gave up runs during his first inning (besides the Dodger game mentioned) was July 1 at Cincinnati.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I don't think Hader's multi-inning appearances should be scrapped. I think he needs to work on pitch selection and location. There are batters around the league that are seeing him multiple times now and they know what he has. It's not a matter of him having the stamina to throw 2 innings. That is not the issue at all.

The issue is Hader firing a pretty straight-as-an-arrow 97 mph fastball in the heart of the strikezone and expecting guys not to catch up to it. When they do, they're hitting it a long ways.

If Hader is going to almost exclusively use his fastball like he has been, he MUST keep it up in the zone. If he does, he is un hittable. His problem has been when he leaves it down..Even being average with his slider right now would be immensely helpful. The problem is he has no command of it right now so he won't throw it.

My biggest concern with Hader’s multi inning outings isn’t that he can’t be effective in them, but that they necessarily limit how often he can be used. And you have to wonder if those outings early in the year have led to his recent problems.

Looking at Hader’s year long statistics can be misleading at this point because his performance in his 13 appearances since July 1 has been significantly different than the 30 that came before it. Who knows if fatigue or minor injury might be affecting his command?

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Per Vassallo
Orlando Arcia, who had 11 errors through June 18, has gone 40 consecutive games without an error.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Today is the sixth day in a row Yelich has not played. At this point why not put him on the IL, backdate it as far as you can, and get Freitas on the roster? An extra bat couldn't hurt.

Probably won't do it now because he's almost ready to come back. Although you would have to think they didn't anticipate him missing 6 games already or they might have used the dl. It's a mystery.

Today is the sixth day in a row Yelich has not played. At this point why not put him on the IL, backdate it as far as you can, and get Freitas on the roster? An extra bat couldn't hurt.

Probably won't do it now because he's almost ready to come back. Although you would have to think they didn't anticipate him missing 6 games already or they might have used the dl. It's a mystery.

It isn't the first time this has happened, and it doesn't get any less infuriating. This is the exact reason MLB switched from 14 to 10 days, and the Brewers haven't really gotten it in my opinion.

It must be something for swinging the bat aggravates it and not just playing the field or he would have pinch hit by now

Mike Minor pitched a 7-inning shutout his last time out against the Indians, but prior to that he had sort of a rough July where he gave up 4-5 earned runs in every outing with the exception of one where he gave up 3 ER. Hopefully the Brewers can get him back down that track.

48513203326_5c496a82ef_c.jpg

Not just “at Night” anymore.

It isn't the first time this has happened, and it doesn't get any less infuriating. This is the exact reason MLB switched from 14 to 10 days, and the Brewers haven't really gotten it in my opinion.

I am normally with you 100% on this viewpoint, but with a player of Yelich's caliber, it's worth the short bench for 8 days if you can have him back after 8 instead of 10. With most other players you're better off just having that extra depth and using the IL.

Archived