6. Logan Forsythe ® 1B 6. Eric Thames (L) 1B

7. Isiah Kiner-Falefa ® 3B 7. Lorenzo Cain ® CF

8. Jose Trevino ® C 8. Orlando Arcia ® SS

9. Pedro Payano ® P 9. Adrian Houser ® P[/pre]

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just winning one of the next two will suffice. Anything over that is gravy.

In general I would agree but there are no more gravy games. Brewers need to win as many as they can.

This season is so weird to me as a fan. because I know in my head that this is a very flawed, really bad team that record of 5 games over .500 flatters them considerably and it will ultimately fail

But being in a playoff spot you cant help but follow religiously and think you can finish this off. Usually when a team is in a playoff spot this late you have a good feeling about their abilities and prospects for the postseason. But this team I feel the exact opposite

Go out and prove me wrong

The Brewers’ Triple-A squad faced Pedro Payano just over three weeks ago (July 16). In that Payano start San Antonio tallied 5 earned runs on 6 hits and 4 walks in just 2.2 innings. Trent Grisham had a bunt single and a walk against Payano. The biggest blow against Payano was a Lucas Erceg 2-run home run in the 3rd inning.
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
This team isn't "really bad."

I get people being frustrated that we've sputtered to a 61-56 record based on expectations, but when people say a team that's 5 games over is "really bad", I look at the Orioles and Tigers and Marlins, and I wonder what THOSE teams are, if the Brewers are "really bad".

The Brewers’ Triple-A squad faced Pedro Payano just over three weeks ago (July 16). In that Payano start San Antonio tallied 5 earned runs on 6 hits and 4 walks in just 2.2 innings. Trent Grisham had a bunt single and a walk against Payano. The biggest blow against Payano was a Lucas Erceg 2-run home run in the 3rd inning.

But what did Freitas do?

I get people being frustrated that we've sputtered to a 61-56 record based on expectations, but when people say a team that's 5 games over is "really bad", I look at the Orioles and Tigers and Marlins, and I wonder what THOSE teams are, if the Brewers are "really bad".

Watching the Marlins, Mariners, Giants, and Padres pound on the Brewers might give someone the impression that the Brewers are really bad.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

But what did Freitas do?

Didn’t play that game.

But if he had probably would have gone 2-5, since that’s rounding up slightly from his .370+ average at the time.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Watching the Marlins, Mariners, Giants, and Padres pound on the Brewers might give someone the impression that the Brewers are really bad.

In a 162 game season, bad teams beat good teams pretty often.

Tigers are 2-1 vs. the Yankees so far. Are the Yankees "really bad?" No. The randomness of baseball dictates that even bad teams will win 60-ish games, and probably some of those 60 games will come at the expense of good teams.

The Brewers are 61-56, and have the 5th best record in the NL. Characterizing them as "really bad" is just false. Frustrating, sure. Underperforming expectations, absolutely, but really bad, is something I think almost everyone would reserve for just the bottom dregs of the league, which the Brewers are not.

My personal breakdown would be...

Juggernaut (3): LAD, HOU, NYY

Good (5): ATL, TB, CLE, MIN, OAK

Mediocre (8): WAS, PHI, NYM, CHC, STL, MIL, ARI, BOS

Bad (7): COL, SD, SF, CIN, PIT, TEX, LAA

Really Bad (5): MIA, SEA, CHW, KC, TOR

LOL (2): BAL, DET

Tigers are 2-1 vs. the Yankees so far. Are the Yankees "really bad?" No. The randomness of baseball dictates that even bad teams will win 60-ish games, and probably some of those 60 games will come at the expense of good teams.

The Brewers are 61-56, and have the 5th best record in the NL. Characterizing them as "really bad" is just false. Frustrating, sure. Underperforming expectations, absolutely, but really bad, is something I think almost everyone would reserve for just the bottom dregs of the league, which the Brewers are not.

I’m focusing on the Brewers team as it is constructed today and the way it has played the last two months. Until the little four game winning streak (thanks, Pirates) the Brewers had the second worst record in the NL since the middle of June when they last reached ten games over .500. Comparing the Brewers regularly losing series to bad teams to the Yankees losing one series to the Tigers is ridiculous.

Today’s Brewers are a pretty bad team with a makeshift starting rotation, a collapsing bullpen in which even Hader is unreliable, and an underachieving offense. Their next 25 games are against teams that currently have winning records. If they are still in realistic contention after those games, I will be surprised.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

My personal breakdown would be...

Juggernaut (3): LAD, HOU, NYY

Good (5): ATL, TB, CLE, MIN, OAK

Mediocre (8): WAS, PHI, NYM, CHC, STL, MIL, ARI, BOS

Bad (7): COL, SD, SF, CIN, PIT, TEX, LAA

Really Bad (5): MIA, SEA, CHW, KC, TOR

LOL (2): BAL, DET

If my counting is correct, the Brewers are 25-28 against the teams you have listed as bad or really bad. That’s 12-4 against the Pirates and 13-24 against everyone else.

The Brewers were a good team for the first two months, but since then they have been somewhere between bad and really bad.

Maybe they can suddenly become good again and make a run for the playoffs. But they haven’t played like a good team even in winning the last 4, and that kind of shoddy play isn’t going to cut it against better teams.

Their next 25 games are against teams that currently have winning records. If they are still in realistic contention after those games, I will be surprised.

We are 35-28 vs winning teams (compared to 26-28 against losing teams) this year, so these next 25 games could be just what they need.

Just winning one of the next two will suffice. Anything over that is gravy.

There are no gravy games. Everything counts the same over 162. We needed every single win we got last year to win the division.

I’m focusing on the Brewers team as it is constructed today and the way it has played the last two months. Until the little four game winning streak (thanks, Pirates) the Brewers had the second worst record in the NL since the middle of June when they last reached ten games over .500. Comparing the Brewers regularly losing series to bad teams to the Yankees losing one series to the Tigers is ridiculous.

Today’s Brewers are a pretty bad team with a makeshift starting rotation, a collapsing bullpen in which even Hader is unreliable, and an underachieving offense. Their next 25 games are against teams that currently have winning records. If they are still in realistic contention after those games, I will be surprised.

We can make any team better or worse if we decide to cherry pick what games we're counting. You watch the Brewers, but I have a feeling you could find doom and gloomsmen for most teams that would say the team is in dire circumstances and has looked terrible for the last week, 2 weeks, month, etc.

If we are really bad, what is Pittsburgh for the last month? It's hyperbole to call this team really bad. It's average.

Hahhaha. I love message boards. Everyone is hung up on really bad

I will amend that. They aren’t as bad as the pirates. And I’ve been saying g that eve when we both were close in the standings

I meant they are t as good as their record. Which isn’t even that good anyways

But that wasn’t exactly the purpose of the post

What in the hell os wrong with yelich. Ugh

Archived