Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-09: Rangers (Allard) at Brewers (González) [Brewers win, 6-5 -- Bullpen struggles resurface; Thames walk-off HR in 9th]

Eye Black
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just like they drew it up. :laughing
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

A necessary win to avoid a disgusting loss. But, another one that exposes the Brewers problems. There have been a lot of those this year.

Did the problems really need exposing? I think everyone in the league knows the pen is a dumpster fire.

The formula going forward needs to be Albers 6th(or 7th if starter goes 6), Pomeranz, Hader...that's your 3...lean on them Craig.

Might be the ugliest win of the season, but it's another W.

I think this season has more candidates for ugliest win of the season than any in Brewers history.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Can’t hader just give up a single. How can you give up this many homers.

They had to ask the same thing about Burnes. This is becoming a disturbing organizational trend.

Organization believes in pitching up in the zone, going to inherently lead to more HR.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Everybody's pen sucks this year. The Cubs pen sucks. The Nationals pen is an absolute abomination. The Braves pen has 1-2 good pitchers. Even the Dodgers pen has been pretty average.

We can blame Chris Hook, or everyone sucking, or whatever, but the juiced ball and MLB's desire to have more dingers..... just look around the league. Everyone is saying the same thing "Our pen sucks". Not saying it doesn't suck to have to hang on by a thread every night and chew your nails off hoping some terrible reliever can somehow get outs, but the entire league is dealing with it.

A necessary win to avoid a disgusting loss. But, another one that exposes the Brewers problems. There have been a lot of those this year.

Did the problems really need exposing? I think everyone in the league knows the pen is a dumpster fire.

The formula going forward needs to be Albers 6th(or 7th if starter goes 6), Pomeranz, Hader...that's your 3...lean on them Craig.

There really is no formula. There is no secret sauce. This is unsustainable when you constantly lose significant leads. At this point the pitchers just need to be better at pitching. That’s what they are paid money for.

Do your job

Setting specific pitchers for specific innings is about the worst strategy you can have. Use them when you need them. If the biggest ABs in the game happen to come in the 6th, use Hader in the 6th. Do what you gotta do, no set roles please...

I should have said “highlights” instead of “exposes”.

People can tell me “anything can happen in baseball” all they want, but I would challenge them to show me a team that has made the playoffs with (1) starting pitchers who almost never go more than 5 innings, (2) a bullpen with no consistently reliable relievers (Hader can no longer be considered consistently reliable), and (3) a middle of the pack offense.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Setting specific pitchers for specific innings is about the worst strategy you can have. Use them when you need them. If the biggest ABs in the game happen to come in the 6th, use Hader in the 6th. Do what you gotta do, no set roles please...

My whole point is, those are the only three I trust...I want NO part of anyone else in the pen...use them as LITTLE as possible.

My whole point is, those are the only three I trust...I want NO part of anyone else in the pen...use them as LITTLE as possible.

They don't have a choice. The rotation is in shambles, and those that remain aren't trusted to go past 5 innings. They are going to have to identify at least two more arms that can be trusted in close games if they what to legitimately contend for a playoff spot.

Archived