Brewer Fanatic

Greg Holland

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/08/diamondbacks-to-designate-greg-holland.html

Can be acquired for just a waiver claim now. We all know how it went for him in St Louis last year, but he was lights out in Washington and isn't far removed from being one of the game's best in Colorado the year before.

His numbers this year aren't even that bad. Not good, but given the juiced ball factor, not someone you think of being in DFA limbo with a 4.54 ERA, mostly from a higher walk and HR rate this year. Still striking out close to his career numbers of 11.5/9 IP.

With the complete lack of depth in our pen and time running out I think this is one that we need to take a chance on.

He also had a 3.00 ERA just four appearances ago. Can look at that one of two ways, being just after a bad spell inflates his number with small sample of relievers. Or, something could be up of late that's causing him to fall off. Somethings hurt, fatigue, or whatever it might be. I doubt he'll get to MKE but if so why not grab him and see if he can help.

So - I guess the big question would be - would he even get to us in the waiver process, or is a team like the Mets or Reds going to pick him up before we would even get a chance?

Looks like he signed a 1 year deal with AZ this year for 3.25M, so to me - this seems like a no-brainer pickup for any team that is in contention right now, and needs bullpen help. Unfortunately, I think a team like the Mets or Reds will snag him before we even get the chance to.

So - I guess the big question would be - would he even get to us in the waiver process, or is a team like the Mets or Reds going to pick him up before we would even get a chance?

Looks like he signed a 1 year deal with AZ this year for 3.25M, so to me - this seems like a no-brainer pickup for any team that is in contention right now, and needs bullpen help. Unfortunately, I think a team like the Mets or Reds will snag him before we even get the chance to.

It'd make no sense for the Reds or Mets to claim him. But, it'd also make no sense for either team to go out and get the best starting pitchers on the market(before Greinke was traded) either. But at least in that case, they're under team control for next year as well.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The Mets are 1.5 games out of a playoff spot and have a pretty great rotation. Why would they not want to snag him?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The Mets are 1.5 games out of a playoff spot and have a pretty great rotation. Why would they not want to snag him?

Yeah, I would say that the Mets currently have a much better chance than the Brewers do at getting one of those two WC spots. In fact, I'd almost say that the Mets might have as good of a shot as any team right now in the NL of landing one of those spots. That rotation should win a lot more games for them here over the next two months.

And, don't look now, but the Reds are only 6.5 games behind the Cubs (playing them 4 times this weekend), and only 4.5 games out of a wildcard spot. With Castillo, Bauer and Gray in that rotation - that's a team I would not want to face these final two months of the season. Watch the Mets and Reds (the two teams that made arguably the biggest deadline deals) be the two wildcard teams this year, while the other teams that were in the race at the deadline (but didn't do much to improve their teams) miss the playoffs completely.

Must be pretty humiliating to have Blake Swihart take your roster spot. Just that alone makes me think Holland isn't even worth a look. Arizona just couldn't get enough of that .141/.191/.281/.472 Swihart flashed earlier this season.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

He's really struggling with control the last two years. I don't think it's the HR and juiced ball that's giving him trouble this year. His BB/9 is atrocious again, and over the last 4 appearances where his ERA started to balloon he's given up 5 hits and 4 walks in 2 2/3 innings.

I guess I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on the guy, but whatever he used to be, he just isn't it anymore.

Archived