Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-07: Brewers (Pomeranz) at Pirates (Williams) 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-3 -- Offense stays hot; Bullpen Day proves a success as Crew completes sweep]

Eye Black
  • Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pirates put a couple nice swings on Williams, but overall his stuff looks good. Like Bulldogboy said, that change-up is wicked, and I saw him hit 97 on a few of those fastballs. Command looked solid too. I kinda wonder why it took so long to not only promote him to AAA, but get him up here, considering the junk they've been tossing out there at the end of the pen.

Pirates put a couple nice swings on Williams, but overall his stuff looks good. Like Bulldogboy said, that change-up is wicked, and I saw him hit 97 on a few of those fastballs. Command looked solid too. I kinda wonder why it took so long to not only promote him to AAA, but get him up here, considering the junk they've been tossing out there at the end of the pen.

I think they have a philosophy with progressing players and I’m good with that. You can’t stunt growth if you do it too fast (and not fast enough). I think they take the best interest of the player into consideration with a lot of these decisions.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Facts. It's only one inning but he looks like Jefress looked last year. Very impressive. Hope to see more of that.

I think they have a philosophy with progressing players and I’m good with that. You can’t stunt growth if you do it too fast (and not fast enough). I think they take the best interest of the player into consideration with a lot of these decisions.

You're right. It's just frustrating knowing they had an arm like this performing in the minors all year, while a good number of the pen arms at the ML level have struggled. Not to say Williams won't have his struggles as well, but the raw talent is definitely there.

Perplexing would be my word. He’s been dominating both AA and AAA all year, and his command has improved immensely over the last 7 weeks, to the point of hardly giving up base runners. Whatever, he’s up now and should stay up.

Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Perhaps things just clicked for Williams this year. So far so good.

Keep in mind, Williams missed all of 2017, and was pretty bad in 2018, and has always struggled with control. Even though he's got good looking stuff this is a guy who has yet to throw 400 innings in his minor league career.

Good point. I saw him in Appleton and his delivery is much quieter. He definitely is a work in progress. Progress made.

Perplexing would be my word. He’s been dominating both AA and AAA all year, and his command has improved immensely over the last 7 weeks, to the point of hardly giving up base runners. Whatever, he’s up now and should stay up.

Sounds like he progressed nicely and with the coaches at the proper level that got him ready for the call up this week. Great to hear from our organization considering that it wasn’t looking good for a bit.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I have to say ... between what Williams has done this season, and Grisham's success, it's really nice to see a few of these former high round picks paying off.

Patience. Development arch are not universally similar. This board is very quick to proclaim bust or superstar with these young players instead of just letting them develop at their own pace.

but it's not like every guy suddenly forgot every piece of advice he gave

Both Roco and Brew4u did a terrific job refuting my point. It's easy to see both sides. You're right ... he's up now, and it appears he may be around for awhile.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the last few months for both of these guys are trends and not just hot streaks. I don't have a problem with the Brewers trying something different at this point, but I also get that the Brewers promotional philosophy is pretty much slow and steady.

Patience. Development arch are not universally similar. This board is very quick to proclaim bust or superstar with these young players instead of just letting them develop at their own pace.

Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that. Especially after the Burnes disaster (and maybe Peralta). We need young building blocks.

Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that.

Exactly, which is why I don't pay much attention to the "our system is ranked last" stuff. If may be low on talent now but a lot of that has to do with the number of guys we are putting in the majors the last two or three years.

Better than outside trade acquisition’s for obvious reasons, adds a big time jolt of excitement. Pomeranz Faria Grisham Williams, now lets get Freitas to hit LHP, and Black just to see 102 on the gun.

Well-said. It’s just great to see our system developing talent. If nothing else good comes from this season, I think it’s that.

Exactly, which is why I don't pay much attention to the "our system is ranked last" stuff. If may be low on talent now but a lot of that has to do with the number of guys we are putting in the majors the last two or three years.

Plus a lot of the "close to the majors" prospects they've dealt in order to improve the big club. If the Brewers can continue to graduate 2-3 talented guys to the ML level every season, that's pretty dang good.

Plus a lot of the "close to the majors" prospects they've dealt in order to improve the big club. If the Brewers can continue to graduate 2-3 talented guys to the ML level every season, that's pretty dang good.

And underrated. I couldn't agree more with you statement.

Archived