Brewer Fanatic

Dylan File

Madhawk23

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed in another thread, but since I don't see a separate thread on this topic - I thought I'd start one.

Just curious for a scouting report on Dylan File? Is this someone that we should be starting to get legitimately excited about because of his stuff, or is this just one of those control type guys who's outsmarting minor league hitters (but probably won't be as fortunate against major leaguers)? He's put together one heck of a season so far, and as we know - has been dominating AA thus far. So, was just hoping to get more intel on this kid from those that know more about him.

Thanks in advance!

Brewcrewball had a feature on him a couple of months back. https://www.brewcrewball.com/2019/5/23/18637804/dylan-file-milwaukee-brewers-pitching-prospect-player-to-watch

The scouting report on him directly from File per the article:

I throw a fastball (90-93), curveball (73-76), slider (77-79), and a changeup (82-84). My slider is my best pitch, I throw it like Trevor Bauer and it moves about 13 inches from right to left. My curve is almost a 12-6 breaker. When I got into pro ball I didn’t know how to throw a changeup so we spent a lot of time developing one. I don’t really have anyone that I model my game after, I would say I’m your average guy that attacks everyone fearlessly. I’m not afraid of getting hit which makes me go right after people. I hate walking people. I approach hitters with the knowledge of their weakness and how to get them out. I know where they do the most damage and avoid pitching there.

My favorite pitch of File's is actually his fastball, which can get extreme bore in on RHB. Everything he throws moves, most of it quite bit. Whiffle balls. He'll hit 94-95 on occasion, too. It's been like that since he was with Wisconsin (and probably before that), but results are just now catching up.

He will occasionally go through fits where he loses command within the zone, and that when he gets hammered. Hasn't been happening too much lately, obviously.

I don't feel comfortable throwing anything more than a 40 or 45 on him right now (back-end starter/med-leverage RP) because his command will be tested in AAA and beyond. He still has a bit of a margin of error in AA he won't have as he moves up. I'd be happy to be wrong about that, though. Been a fan of his since his T-Rats days. Glad to see him putting it together.

My favorite pitch of File's is actually his fastball, which can get extreme bore in on RHB. Everything he throws moves, most of it quite bit. Whiffle balls. He'll hit 94-95 on occasion, too. It's been like that since he was with Wisconsin (and probably before that), but results are just now catching up.

He will occasionally go through fits where he loses command within the zone, and that when he gets hammered. Hasn't been happening too much lately, obviously.

I don't feel comfortable throwing anything more than a 40 or 45 on him right now (back-end starter/med-leverage RP) because his command will be tested in AAA and beyond. He still has a bit of a margin of error in AA he won't have as he moves up. I'd be happy to be wrong about that, though. Been a fan of his since his T-Rats days. Glad to see him putting it together.

Thanks for the insight....much appreciated! I figured he probably wasn't going to be the next Brandon Woodruff, but glad to hear that there's at least some upside with his stuff - especially if he can learn to harness the command a bit more consistently?

We've had some pitchers make nice steps forward this year. Part of the problem is we haven't seen that from hitters.

I'll take the gigantic leap forward that Grisham made any day. I know what you mean, though.

He's so unhip that when you say Dylan, he thinks you're talkin 'bout Dylan Thomas...whoever he was....

Yes, that can't be ignored. Guy starts in AA and seen as make or break year by some and now he is starting on a regular basis for a team trying to get into the MLB playoffs. Of course Keston is starting as well, getting two starting position players in one year from the minors is very good, especially considering the reputation of their farm system.

Yeah - as bad as the pundits say our farm system is right now (and I'm not going to completely dismiss them), I would still say that we've had some really nice developments this year:

Hiura - what more can you really say about this kid? Future All-Star, and just needs to continue to improve his defense.

Grisham - This former 1st round pick was on the verge of losing all of his remaining "prospect" status (however much was even left) coming into this season, and what he's done this year is really remarkable.

Turang - I know he's struggled with the bat since going up to High A ball, but this is still a 19 year old kid - and I'd be shocked if he doesn't come out next spring and perform very well at this level and eventually get a promotion up to AA next summer.

Lutz - don't look now, but he's got that batting average close to .260 and he might have a chance to get his OPS up around .800 with a strong finish. All of this in a very tough hitting environment as a 20 year old.

Small/Ashby - while I'm not sure if either guy will be a TOR arm at the big league level, I think we have a couple of guys here that have good potential to be in our rotation and contributing in another couple of years (maybe sooner?)

D. Williams/Rasmussen - two exciting pen arms, and Devin already starting to contribute for the Brewers

E. Fernandez - 10 home runs down in the DSL this summer. Excited to see what this kid will turn into, and we have some other young and exciting latin teenagers that could blossom in the next couple of years.

Yeah, the system may not have a bunch of Top 100 guys right now, but I do think we've got two big-time rookies in Hiura/Grisham - who will contribute for years to come at the MLB level. And, I think we have a decent number of guys in that 101-200 range that might be on the fringe of making their way up into the Top 100 during the next couple of years if they continue to develop.

Archived