Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-06: Brewers (Anderson) at Pirates (Brault) [Brewers win, 4-3 -- Anderson with another solid outing; Faria pitches two scoreless in Brewers debut; Albers notches the save]

Eye Black
Counsel confirmed in his post game that it was a called play for Shaw to draw a throw there, but said Grisham broke late to home.

Good. Shaw has had a tough enough year without idiots piling on unwarranted.

:laughing :laughing

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For as bad as Pina started the year, he's now a 0.5 bWAR/0.8 fWAR player. Considering WAR is a counting stat and he's a backup, that's pretty good.

Backup catching, league wide, is pretty bad. We have one of the better ones.

Pina is great as a backup catcher. It’s where he needs to be. Just isn’t reliable enough to start for a team. Wears down.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Counsel confirmed in his post game that it was a called play for Shaw to draw a throw there, but said Grisham broke late to home.

That seems like an unthinkably terrible idea on Counsell's part. 1st and 3rd, I could see it. In the 8th, the bases are loaded, where is Shaw going to go? The other team is not stupid. So your plan is to try to draw a throw on a play that the other team knows the runner literally cannot advance because there is nowhere to go?

I almost hope that Counsell is just making that up to cover for Shaw rather than him actually deciding that was a good idea.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That seems like an unthinkably terrible idea on Counsell's part. 1st and 3rd, I could see it. In the 8th, the bases are loaded, where is Shaw going to go? The other team is not stupid. So your plan is to try to draw a throw on a play that the other team knows the runner literally cannot advance because there is nowhere to go?

I almost hope that Counsell is just making that up to cover for Shaw rather than him actually deciding that was a good idea.

I get that. It was obviously an attempt to catch the Pirates sleeping. I think Grisham was probably supposed to break for home full bore as soon as the ball left the catcher's hand, but for whatever reason he hesitated and made himself a dead duck. Of course, Counsell knows the issues this team has had with runners in scoring position, so it's hard to blame him for trying to steal a run. Really odd way to do it, though. Unless Grisham has super speed and instincts, I would think the chances of hims scoring on that play aren't high.

He wasn’t making it up, he was dead serious. They asked him if he had ever tried that play before and he admitted, “no”. He said he didn’t see the obstruction because he put his head down when it didn’t work. I am glad it worked out because losing that game by getting an out in a key situation trying that play (one that is typically reserved for amateur baseball only) would have been pretty demoralizing. It doesn’t seem like Counsell has had a great stretch of managerial decisions lately.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

He answered multiple questions about it, I don’t think he’s covering. Also don’t think he’d cover for Shaw by throwing Grisham under the bus saying he botched the play by breaking late.

They did draw the throw. Even if the Pirates know Shaw can’t advance, they would still try to get the out, which they did. Almost just a reflex when you see someone that far off to make the throw to first.

One of the local High School coaches like to do a take on the same play and would have Runners at second and third usually with two outs and have the runner go from second almost to third trying to get a pickle started. He was in a pretty small conference so he got away with some of that stuff but you try that at a better school it's rarely going to work.

I wonder if they are going to make Faria bite the bullet and ride the San Antonio Shuttle tomorrow to get a fresh arm up for the bullpen game? Ray Black, Burch Smith and Trey Supak are the only 40-man options available.

Going to see Williams for sure so that's exciting. Pomerantz should see a couple innings too. Will be very interesting. I'm guessing Jackson starts?

Ya I was wondering about Faria too.

I'm kinda thinking they go with Pomeranz as long as he can go. Then Williams makes his debut. Optimistically that gets them through 5. Then you go from there depending where the game is at.

Guerra, Claudio, and Jeffress will all be available. Hader probably. Freddy maybe. Albers you probs want to avoid, but ultimately he isn't part of the future and isn't someone they're trying to protect.

I wonder if they are going to make Faria bite the bullet and ride the San Antonio Shuttle tomorrow to get a fresh arm up for the bullpen game? Ray Black, Burch Smith and Trey Supak are the only 40-man options available.

Going to see Williams for sure so that's exciting. Pomerantz should see a couple innings too. Will be very interesting. I'm guessing Jackson starts?

Already announced Pomeranz as the starter

But did it work?

But did it work?

We could start Matt Albers at shortstop and bat him cleanup and we still might win the game. That wouldn't make it a good idea.

But did it work?

It did not work in terms of the play execution, and Counsell admitted that after the game. Luckily they got bailed out with an interference call which is an extremely low probability outcome.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived