Brewer Fanatic

Trade Deadline Rant- How are we better?

rickh150
The best move of the 2019 deadline was not trading Trent Grisham.

100%. I'm sold on this guy being a fixture at the top of our lineup for the next 6+ years.

I like Grisham too; and especially late inning three run homers. However it’s 40 at bats. Let’s wait until he’s at least faced all the teams once before anointing him a fixture

Sometimes you just know.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes you just know.

But just think of all the wrong things you’ve said too. Do you see how that works? It’s why we are posting on a message board and not nearly qualified to make that call. So quick to try to be right but honestly, what about all the wrong...

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It isn't just 40 ABs for me. It's the switch he turned in the minors this year in several hundred ABs where he finally looked like the player we always hoped he'd become, and if anything it has made these 40 ABs rather unsurprising.

I don't expect everyone to be convinced yet, I just personally am pretty sold that this is not just a hot streak, this is real.

It isn't just 40 ABs for me. It's the switch he turned in the minors this year in several hundred ABs where he finally looked like the player we always hoped he'd become, and if anything it has made these 40 ABs rather unsurprising.

I don't expect everyone to be convinced yet, I just personally am pretty sold that this is not just a hot streak, this is real.

I think it’s a reasonable take to have. Watching him in person and how he carries himself was great to see too. Looks like he belongs.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Sometimes you just know.

But just think of all the wrong things you’ve said too. Do you see how that works? It’s why we are posting on a message board and not nearly qualified to make that call. So quick to try to be right but honestly, what about all the wrong...

Quick would be calling for his promotion to MKE more than a month ago, TO HELP IGNITE THIS OFFENSE!

Funny all the people lambasting me about that one. But that’s ok, at least most know now he’s a real stud core player moving forward.

Sometimes you just know.

Quick would be calling for his promotion to MKE more than a month ago, TO HELP IGNITE THIS OFFENSE!

Funny all the people lambasting me about that one. But that’s ok, at least most know now he’s a real stud core player moving forward.

Yeah, if it were up to you, Aaron Wilkerson would be anchoring the staff right now as well based on his good first 1 1/2 months in AAA, and Rasmussen and Perdomo would be heading up the shut-down pen. When you make as many outlandish predictions as you have this year, eventually the law of averages dictates that you nail one. This is not an invitation to pat yourself on the back, though.

That was my point. It’s the throw as much out there throughout the season and hope stuff sticks approach. That part is what it is as we are all fans with (sometimes crazy) ideas but the “look at me” stuff after one happens to turn out is kind’ve silly. If in the next 100 at bats Trent was a turd, we’d never see the “oh, guess maybe I jumped the gun on this guy” post.

As one who a month-ish back had probably said things along the lines of "well Grisham has come out of nowhere and was a flop as of so recently that if you can trade him for something legit I'd probably do it. Kind of sell high and make sure you get something out of him". After being able to get some eye test and watch, I see why they didn't and why they probably held him in much higher regards than ratings sites or folks like us who can only look at numbers. Everything looks legit here to be a major contributor long term. The plate discipline, contact type hitting is something the lineup drastically needs.

ETA: Yea, I love the told ya so posts. Those are the best.

As one who a month-ish back had probably said things along the lines of "well Grisham has come out of nowhere and was a flop as of so recently that if you can trade him for something legit I'd probably do it. Kind of sell high and make sure you get something out of him". After being able to get some eye test and watch, I see why they didn't and why they probably held him in much higher regards than ratings sites or folks like us who can only look at numbers. Everything looks legit here to be a major contributor long term. The plate discipline, contact type hitting is something the lineup drastically needs.

I liked his plate discipline just from seeing the numbers, but did worry about the hit-for-average tool.

I had Stokes higher than him for the most part in the past. His dominance at AA/AAA, splitting the levels, gave him a two-spot edge in my latest ballot, but.

I liked his plate discipline just from seeing the numbers, but did worry about the hit-for-average tool.

I had Stokes higher than him for the most part in the past. His dominance at AA/AAA, splitting the levels, gave him a two-spot edge in my latest ballot, but.

Wait, what? You question Grisham's hit-for-average tool, but give Stokes a pass? Not only is Stokes nine months OLDER than Grisham, his career minor league average is worse. IMO, barring a Grisham-level jump, Stokes may be in danger of losing his 40-man spot this offseason.

Yes, Stokes is a guy I feel we won't even remember in another year. Hoping to be wrong on that but doesn't feel like a guy that is going to contribute at the major league level.

That was my point. It’s the throw as much out there throughout the season and hope stuff sticks approach. That part is what it is as we are all fans with (sometimes crazy) ideas but the “look at me” stuff after one happens to turn out is kind’ve silly. If in the next 100 at bats Trent was a turd, we’d never see the “oh, guess maybe I jumped the gun on this guy” post.

Or another way of looking at it: Don’t be afraid to speak your mind. Don’t sandbag, don’t fear being wrong. To call someone “crazy” or “he’s lost it now” like you’ve said to me, or calling someone a “knob” or a “tool” like you have numerous times to other posters, imo, suppresses some on this board from speaking what’s on their mind.

But in my case, I don’t care that you, and Joey, feel the need to make snide comments on an extraordinary amount of my posts, just like this morning, but I’m sure some do care on this site when it’s done to them.

I don't think anyone is saying don't speak your mind. It's more that there is no need to gloat if/when you do hit on one and try to act like a know it all. No one is going back and pointing out all the things you or others got wrong. There isn't a competition here. Carry on though, I appreciate the energy

Or another way of looking at it: Don’t be afraid to speak your mind. Don’t sandbag, don’t fear being wrong. To call someone “crazy” or “he’s lost it now” like you’ve said to me, or calling someone a “knob” or a “tool” like you have numerous times to other posters, imo, suppresses some on this board from speaking what’s on their mind.

But in my case, I don’t care that you, and Joey, feel the need to make snide comments on an extraordinary amount of my posts, just like this morning, but I’m sure some do care on this site when it’s done to them.

Oh give it a rest with this martyr stuff. You constantly make outlandish predictions, rarely owning them when they are flat out wrong. That's on top of taking over threads with repeated ideas and rants, such as your grousing on the payroll and organizational profits. Then you look for gratification when one of your predictions turns out to be right? Sheesh.

I don't think anyone is saying don't speak your mind. It's more that there is no need to gloat if/when you do hit on one and try to act like a know it all. No one is going back and pointing out all the things you or others got wrong. There isn't a competition here. Carry on though, I appreciate the energy

Thank you! I think?!

Oh give it a rest with this martyr stuff. You constantly make outlandish predictions, rarely owning them when they are flat out wrong. That's on top of taking over threads with repeated ideas and rants, such as your grousing on the payroll and organizational profits. Then you look for gratification when one of your predictions turns out to be right? Sheesh.

Such a predictable response. Can’t wait to hear from Brew. “Play the victim” will be coming I’m sure.

Such a predictable response. Can’t wait to hear from Brew. “Play the victim” will be coming I’m sure.

Play the victim is right with you but that’s a given right now. You just don’t get it and I’m guessing you never will. You’ve been redirected by so many posters here and just refuse to try to figure it out. I wasn’t even calling you crazy. I was generalizing towards all of us here. We all do it. 99% wrong, 1% right and that’s okay. We aren’t professionals. Even those guys are wrong, often. No one has suppressed your voice but you could figure out how to post in a way that is just not so, well it won’t matter anyways. Carry on. :rolleyes

Wait, what? You question Grisham's hit-for-average tool, but give Stokes a pass? Not only is Stokes nine months OLDER than Grisham, his career minor league average is worse. IMO, barring a Grisham-level jump, Stokes may be in danger of losing his 40-man spot this offseason.

With the guys the Brewers need to add to avoid rule 5, I think Stokes is a guy who will be dropped. Wilkerson also is a prime candidate. Faria looks like he'll be gone next year because he's out of options.

With the guys the Brewers need to add to avoid rule 5, I think Stokes is a guy who will be dropped. Wilkerson also is a prime candidate. Faria looks like he'll be gone next year because he's out of options.

They can easily just start with Faria and Black as their swing man and deep bullpen guy, respectively.

If both or either struggle, they can be DFA'ed. They may both clear waivers and go back into the Brewers' system.

That's about the caliber of Aguilar and Dubon. Yes, Dubon can be optioned which would've been nice but Aguilar was also out of options and might not make Tampa's cut next year, either.

No disagreement on Wilkerson.

But Stokes, OTOH, has been improving from a rough start (including two DL stints in April) with very good performance, particularly since the start of July. His hit-for-average tool, while it didn't have the ceiling of Grisham's, has been more consistent over the minor-league career and has a higher floor. He also has options. Ben Gamel is more likely to go, especially if Grisham is for real.

An OF position group of Cain-Yelich-Grisham-Stokes is more balanced than Cain-Yelich-Grisham-Gamel.

ETA: Tyrone Taylor also is, IMO, more at risk with his track record of injuries.

Brewers trade Gamel in the off-season, maybe for a Lind-lite return. Tyrone Taylor DFA. Corey Ray on the 40-man in a "prove it" year.

I'd have to think that Gamel's roster spot is pretty safe next year as veteran OF depth with an option. He'll still be cheap next year and can start out in AAA. Perhaps the organization does him a favor by trading him to a team with MLB OF needs, but he will still have value next year for the Brewers. Taylor, Stokes and Ray have taken steps back this year being unable to hit in AAA--it would be hard to trust them as our 5th/6th OF depth option in front of a proven guy like Gamel.

Yea I'd like to see Gamel around for depth since he has the option. What are the chances Braun stays as healthy again next year as he has this year? But as you state, maybe they try to do right by him and find a spot that needs a 4th.

What are the chances Braun stays as healthy again next year as he has this year? .

100%.

Wouldn’t doubt it to see him play 162 next year on his way to another MVP award.

Archived