Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-04: Brewers (Houser) at Cubs (Darvish) [Brewers lose, 7-2 -- Only runs come via solo HRs from Yelich and Grisham]

Eye Black
  • Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How did a Christian Yelich-less Brewer lineup even come close to making the playoffs in 2017?

2017 was the worst thing that could've happened. It accelerated a rebuilding process that probably shouldn't have been. Now we'll probably be saddled with a bad contract in Cain and will probably have to restart a rebuilding process that will not be as popular with the fans as the one that started in 2016. And no way Yelich stays after his control is done.

How did a Christian Yelich-less Brewer lineup even come close to making the playoffs in 2017?

2017 was the worst thing that could've happened. It accelerated a rebuilding process that probably shouldn't have been. Now we'll probably be saddled with a bad contract in Cain and will probably have to restart a rebuilding process that will not be as popular with the fans as the one that started in 2016. And no way Yelich stays after his control is done.

If we can't find a way to be true contenders in 2020, I'd have to consider trading Yelich after 2020 with 2 years control remaining which would bring an enormous return and signal the beginning of another rebuild.

I know that will be a remarkably unpopular opinion, but I did say "if" and "(after) 2020."

No, no... we are going to go hard after it in 2020 and 2021. By July 31, 2021 (or the strike), we will try. After this, it's adios Yelich, Hader...

No, no... we are going to go hard after it in 2020 and 2021. By July 31, 2021 (or the strike), we will try. After this, it's adios Yelich, Hader...

If you're going to trade those two you can't wait that long. Trading them as rentals will only bring a fraction of their true worth.

This was the perfect lineup to put up there against Darvish. I applaud Counsell for putting it together. The lack of execution is 100% on the players.

No issues with the lineup, agreed. It's the LH heavy lineup that is a perfect counter to Darvish.

Only so much you can do. These guys aren't getting it done.

If you're going to trade those two you can't wait that long. Trading them as rentals will only bring a fraction of their true worth.

Yelich and Hader are both under contract through 2022 and 2023, respectively, so neither would be a rental at that point. So I agree with rick here, 2020 and 2021 are still both in play.

Yelich and Hader are both under contract through 2022 and 2023, respectively, so neither would be a rental at that point. So I agree with rick here, 2020 and 2021 are still both in play.

Whoops. Don't know what I was thinking. You're right, deadline 2021 would be an ideal time if you're not turning it around by then. But it would have to be a mammoth haul.

Whoops. Don't know what I was thinking. You're right, deadline 2021 would be an ideal time if you're not turning it around by then. But it would have to be a mammoth haul.

I agree. But that's an opportunity to reload very quickly if necessary.

Archived