Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-04: Brewers (Houser) at Cubs (Darvish) [Brewers lose, 7-2 -- Only runs come via solo HRs from Yelich and Grisham]

Eye Black
Wonder what the worst batting average ever posted with someone having at least 200 at-bats.

I don’t know the answer to that, but these are the lowest all-time among qualified hitters for a season (which would typically require around 500 plate appearances in any given season)...

Chris Davis, 2018 Orioles: .168

Dan Uggla, 2013 Braves: .179

Rob Deer, 1991 Tigers: .179

John Gochnaur, 1903 Indians: .185

John Gochnaur, 1902 Indians: .185

Not just “at Night” anymore.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wonder what the worst batting average ever posted with someone having at least 200 at-bats.

I don’t know the answer to that, but these are the lowest all-time among qualified hitters for a season (which would typically require around 500 plate appearances in any given season)...

Shaw makes rob deer look like rod carew

How do they get to 500 PA with that average? Yikes.

Davis I kinda get because of money. Deer and Uggla probably weren’t on huge contracts

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The year Rob Deer hit .179 he still somehow managed to have a .700 OPS, have a .314 OBP, and have a 92 OPS+.. Not good, but still not a black hole in the lineup like Shaw has been.

Same with Uggla. The year he hit .179 he had 22 homers and 77 walks. He still had (barely) an OBP over .300 and had a .671 OPS.

I'm not saying these guys were helping their offenses (they weren't) but Shaw is not hitting for power, he's got a .540 OPS, and I just don't think there's any comparison. Those guys were at least getting on base and knocking some dingers.

How do they get to 500 PA with that average? Yikes.

Davis I kinda get because of money. Deer and Uggla probably weren’t on huge contracts

Good question. Deer had 539 PA in 1991 season and Uggla had 537 PA in 2013.

EDIT: Pretty good answer from RoCoBrewfan...

The year Rob Deer hit .179 he still somehow managed to have a .700 OPS, have a .314 OBP, and have a 92 OPS+.. Not good, but still not a black hole in the lineup like Shaw has been.

Same with Uggla. The year he hit .179 he had 22 homers and 77 walks. He still had (barely) an OBP over .300 and had a .671 OPS.

I'm not saying these guys were helping their offenses (they weren't) but Shaw is not hitting for power, he's got a .540 OPS, and I just don't think there's any comparison. Those guys were at least getting on base and knocking some dingers.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I have to think if Shaw doesn't do something today, this is it for him this year.

I'd rather see David Freitas up if he can play any sort of 1B, really.

I’ve been on the AAA stats don’t matter bandwagon, but Freitas carrying that average this late is borderline crazy. That also added to my preference of trading Grandal, and makes me think the catching market wasn’t there. Don’t think Stearns would’ve been afraid to trade him with a good offer. Guessing there just wasn’t really any offers for him.

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

5m

The Cubs' rotation has not issued a walk since the 5th inning one week ago. Including Darvish's first two innings today, that's 132 consecutive batters faced with zero free passes.

A lot of this is on the Crew and their refusal to seemingly work deep into counts.

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

5m

The Cubs' rotation has not issued a walk since the 5th inning one week ago. Including Darvish's first two innings today, that's 132 consecutive batters faced with zero free passes.

A lot of this is on the Crew and their refusal to seemingly work deep into counts.

The Brewers are 2nd in the NL in walks.

How did Shaw miss that ground ball? Completely whiffed on it ... to those who think Hiura needs a day off, which I disagree with, why don't we replace Hiura for a day with somebody who resembles a major-league player? That would not be Shaw.

Shaw needs to stay off the major league roster or strictly be a replacement in blowouts.

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

5m

EXACTLY my point, they sure haven't shown that in this series

How did Shaw miss that ground ball? Completely whiffed on it ... to those who think Hiura needs a day off, which I disagree with, why don't we replace Hiura for a day with somebody who resembles a major-league player? That would not be Shaw.

Shaw needs to stay off the major league roster or strictly be a replacement in blowouts.

Whiffs all over for Shaw. Who is that coach you guys refer to occasionally? He would have pulled Shaw mid inning.

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

5m

EXACTLY my point, they sure haven't shown that in this series

If the pitchers are throwing strikes you can't just stand there and watch strikes. The Brewers lead the NL in pitches per PA. One series is not indicative of a trend. The Cubs have been pitching well and sometimes you just have to tip your hat and move on.

Whiffs all over for Shaw. Who is that coach you guys refer to occasionally? He would have pulled Shaw mid inning.

Coach Cooper.

He'd have Shaw doing laps around the outfield right now.

I hope the Cubs hold on for the series sweep. The sooner this organization is faced with the reality of a 500 season then there might be some planning for the future. It just seems that every move is an attempt to prove Herb Kohl was correct. Let's just hope that Herb Attanasio leaves Stearns to do his job and if Stearns first 2 years was the deal he did with the devil to get the job and the last year has been the "real" David Stearns, then we're probably only 4 years away from another mediocre GM and another no-build re-build.

Shaw makes rob deer look like rod carew

This is the best thing I've seen on this board all year.

Archived