Brewer Fanatic

Waivers/DFA

ThisIsMyCrew

not that long ago, the number of days that a team had to trade, release or outright a player after designating him for assignment was 10 days. it was reduced to seven days with the latest collective bargaining agreement.

i wonder if the players will push for a reduction of that time period for dfas made after the unitary trade deadline through the end of the world series.

seeing as trades can't be made after the 31 july deadline, the club has two options: try to outright the player or give him his outright release. the club no longer gets anything in return (except for $50,000 for the potential waiver claim and potential salary relief), so it's not like they need time to negotiate with other clubs on a potential return.

thus, i wonder if it makes sense to keep the seven-day period for a dfa before the unitary trade deadline, but perhaps down to three or four days after the unitary trade deadline. i haven't followed the post-deadline transactions of other teams, but the brewers have certainly moved quickly in their outright attempts of donnie hart and jacob barnes.

Archived