Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-03: Brewers (González) at Cubs (Hamels) [Brewers lose, 4-1 -- Offense continues to struggle; Bullpen allows 3 runs over final 2 innings]

Eye Black
Although last June Santana was on the verge of flaming out of the league

Only the Brewers seemingly thought that for very strange reasons. They gave up on him because Yelich and Cain were producing and by big-contract-default were playing Braun. They royally mishandled Santana and undervalued him to play or to trade after a terrific 2017 season!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have said it once, and I will keep saying it...although it hasn't been the biggest issue this year, until Stearns wisens up and realizes that he is going to have to spend BIG $$ on Free agent pitchers or find a way to acquire one, this is what's always going to happen with a team like the Brewers. You CANNOT continue to trot out guys like Zach Davies and be taken seriously. But I bet nothing changes next year...Peralta, and for sure Burnes will be right back in the rotation because Stearns will say "we have confidence in them". Then some scrub will get signed to take Chacin's spot...rinse and repeat, year after year.

Only the Brewers seemingly thought that for very strange reasons. They gave up on him because Yelich and Cain were producing and by big-contract-default were playing Braun. They royally mishandled Santana and undervalued him to play or to trade after a terrific 2017 season!

You really might be the only one to feel this way. Santana is still just an average player when you consider in everything that makes a baseball player. It’s really odd to me that you don’t see the value of Gamel. I know dingers are fun but there’s much more to the game.

Also, here is the pitcher they obtained with Gamel. Good year he’s got going on.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Huh? Santana is an overall average player with limited tools. And we got fair value for him in the Gamel/Zavolas trade. Perhaps Zavolas turns into a better than average pitcher and it's a win-win all around.

I have said it once, and I will keep saying it...although it hasn't been the biggest issue this year, until Stearns wisens up and realizes that he is going to have to spend BIG $$ on Free agent pitchers or find a way to acquire one, this is what's always going to happen with a team like the Brewers. You CANNOT continue to trot out guys like Zach Davies and be taken seriously. But I bet nothing changes next year...Peralta, and for sure Burnes will be right back in the rotation because Stearns will say "we have confidence in them". Then some scrub will get signed to take Chacin's spot...rinse and repeat, year after year.

Do you remember last year? That was only...1 year ago...

One of the biggest problems this team has had this year is CC's insistence on pulling starters early and bringing in the Bullpen to blow it. You'd have thought by now that he'd have figured out, sometimes your starter, when he's rolling is a better option for another inning(or more) than the crap bullpen he has. He has done it with Chase too often this year, did it with Gio today, it's been a problem all year long. He's been terrible at managing this year, just terrible.

One of the biggest problems this team has had this year is CC's insistence on pulling starters early and bringing in the Bullpen to blow it. You'd have thought by now that he'd have figured out, sometimes your starter, when he's rolling is a better option for another inning(or more) than the crap bullpen he has. He has done it with Chase too often this year, did it with Gio today, it's been a problem all year long. He's been terrible at managing this year, just terrible.

This actually could be the case, but it is obviously by organizational design with cooperation with the Front Office and every piece of meaningful statistics that have been gathered. Anderson is a disaster 3rd time+ through the order, and most other starters aren't much better.

Gio

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Do you remember last year? That was only...1 year ago...

Yes, and if you remember, Corbin Burnes was great out of the bullpen last year(used as a starter this year, disaster from the beginning), Chacin had a career year(fluky), But he also had a veteran in Wade Miley(ZERO reason he shouldn't have brought him back), and his acquisition of Gio was good(should have brought him back too). He put WAY too much faith in three young arms(plus a terrible Zach Davies) to carry them..No idea what he was thinking...other than he had to be the only one that actually thought that was going to work. Gio NEEDS to be back next year and he NEEDS to find another anchor or two for the rotation. It starts there. Guys that can give you 6 or 7 consistently(or more put guys that he will let go 6 or 7), and run with it. Until he finds that anchor or two for the rotation(to go with Woody), it will be same old same old(unless lightning strikes again).

My targets are Gerritt Cole, Stephen Strasburg(if he opts out), Madison Bumgarner, Zach Wheeler and Wade Miley(again)

Brewers hitters with 10+ ABs on this road trip:

.368 Arcia (7-for-19)

.353 Braun (6-for-17)

.350 Moose (7-for-20)

.214 Thames: (3-for-14)

.182 Yelich (4-for-22)

.176 Cain (3-for-17)

.167 Hiura (3-for-18)

.167 Grandal (3-for-18)

Gio

Gio was not going to get through the Cubs order again. Albers was fantastic. Great move. Guerra was the questionable move when you've got Pomeranz out there-or maybe even go to Peralta for 2 innings.

.368 Arcia (7-for-19)

.353 Braun (6-for-17)

.350 Moose (7-for-20)

.182 Yelich (4-for-22)

.176 Cain (3-for-17)

.167 Hiura (3-for-18)

.167 Grandal (3-for-18)

Yelich, Hiura and Grandal are really letting this team down!

My targets are Gerritt Cole, Stephen Strasburg(if he opts out), Madison Bumgarner, Zach Wheeler and Wade Miley(again)

I'd love to go after Wheeler and Miley. There are probably lots of other guys like Miley (or Chacin before last year) who would be fine too.

Cole, Strasburg and MadBum are going to be bad values.

.368 Arcia (7-for-19)

.353 Braun (6-for-17)

.350 Moose (7-for-20)

.182 Yelich (4-for-22)

.176 Cain (3-for-17)

.167 Hiura (3-for-18)

.167 Grandal (3-for-18)

On the road trip, yep, they are. Cain is just a flat out let down for the season though.

.368 Arcia (7-for-19)

.353 Braun (6-for-17)

.350 Moose (7-for-20)

.182 Yelich (4-for-22)

.176 Cain (3-for-17)

.167 Hiura (3-for-18)

.167 Grandal (3-for-18)

On the road trip, yep, they are. Cain is just a flat out let down for the season though.

Grandal hasn't hit for over a month..220 and 1 homerun over last 30 games.

Grandal hasn't hit for over a month..220 and 1 homerun over last 30 games.

I’ve said it before that they may have rode him too hard earlier in the head. Legs are dead.

Grandal has always been a streak hitter. He'll get hot again

At this point it might be nice if he didn’t so we can try to retain him.

Archived