Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-03: Brewers (González) at Cubs (Hamels) [Brewers lose, 4-1 -- Offense continues to struggle; Bullpen allows 3 runs over final 2 innings]

Eye Black

Yes, if he wasn’t going to sell, he should have bought.. anything. But this teams a stinker and that was my point in the sell thread. Could have at least gotten a few guys we could turn into currency in the off season. Being stuck in mediocreville is the worst thing he can do and he’s doing it.

Nobody trades a fair value for catchers at the deadline and nobody needed a decent third basemen. Tampa, maybe, but we already probably overpaid for Faria so I doubt we get anything better by adding Moose. Buying a real SP upgrade would have cost Turang, Grisham, or young pitching. So we got some pieces for Dubon. That's something.

I'm not happy with the team's performance this year, but I think Stearns has done a fine job (other than maybe giving DJ a big raise to keep him (if that would have indeed actually kept him).

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Honestly at this point, just DFA Chacin, stretch out Burnes and leave him in the rotation, put Faria in the rotation, and just ride out the season.

Agreed. Cut the fat (no pun intended) that won’t be here next season and try to find a mixture that will be.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Peralta exits with a now 5 era on the year.

Vastly earned as a starter. He's had 2 mediocre outings heading into this bad one but he entered today at 2.52 out of the pen.

Bad time to have no control but I don't question going to him in a 2-1 deficit as much as I do going to Guerra in a tie game.

Why did we trade for Pom?

Yes, if he wasn’t going to sell, he should have bought.. anything. But this teams a stinker and that was my point in the sell thread. Could have at least gotten a few guys we could turn into currency in the off season. Being stuck in mediocreville is the worst thing he can do and he’s doing it.

Nobody trades a fair value for catchers at the deadline and nobody needed a decent third basemen. Tampa, maybe, but we already probably overpaid for Faria so I doubt we get anything better by adding Moose. Buying a real SP upgrade would have cost Turang, Grisham, or young pitching. So we got some pieces for Dubon. That's something.

I'm not happy with the team's performance this year, but I think Stearns has done a fine job (other than maybe giving DJ a big raise to keep him (if that would have indeed actually kept him).

Dubon WAS the piece. We got basically nothing for Dubon.

Selling was the move that would’ve took some guts after last seasons experience but it would’ve been the smart one. We missed it. Getting to watch an all star catcher and 3B finish third in the division are our consolation prize. I would’ve respected the hell out of Stearns for realizing what we are and trying to better us for a possible run next season.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Honestly at this point, just DFA Chacin, stretch out Burnes and leave him in the rotation, put Faria in the rotation, and just ride out the season.

Agreed. Cut the fat (no pun intended) that won’t be here next season and try to find a mixture that will be.

Can I see Luke Barker get a cup of coffee? I want to see Wilkerson get his chance to start but there is absolutely zero reason to have him in the pen. We already know that doesn't work.

I believe that DS, much like us, believed deep down that this team isn't going anywhere but didn't want to look like he was giving up on the season so he acquired ho hum players, but that is going to come back and bite him what with giving away our only true high end prospect. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what's best for the future. Unfortunately I don't see much of one in the short term. It's not easy being a fan of a small market team.

I didn’t know Pomeranz is a free agent after the season. Wow. We have to stop letting Stearns trade with SF. First we get robbed for

Smith and now this move? Yikes.

Selling was the move that would’ve took some guts after last seasons experience but it would’ve been the smart one. We missed it. Getting to watch an all star catcher and 3B finish third in the division are our consolation prize. I would’ve respected the hell out of Stearns for realizing what we are and trying to better us for a possible run next season.

Yup.

I really wanted Moose and Grandal dealt. I would have even opened up Anderson if pitching prices were driven up.

I would have then liked him to buy a little filler at C and 1b/3b. Grandal Moose out for the best prospects we can get. Filler in for rule 5 available stuff. That was the play.

Don't quit, don't buy, prepare for 2020.

Huh? I agree...IF we could actually get some young talent in return. You responded to my post without actually responding to anything I wrote.

If we couldn't, standing pat is better than quitting on the season and getting very little. There is well over 1/4 of the season to be played, and we still have enough talent to make it fun to watch. We have 17 more games against the Cubs and Cards, and neither of those 2 teams are so much better than us that we don't have a chance. I'm glad we didn't sell (unless Stearns turned down an overpay), and I'm glad we didn't buy.

I believe that DS, much like us, believed deep down that this team isn't going anywhere but didn't want to look like he was giving up on the season so he acquired ho hum players, but that is going to come back and bite him what with giving away our only true high end prospect. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and do what's best for the future. Unfortunately I don't see much of one in the short term. It's not easy being a fan of a small market team.

Of course the front office knows they didn’t have enough to get it done. That is why they actually sold at the deadline, trading away major league players for minor leaguers for next year. Faria isn’t helping them this year, but the fact their GM traded the right handed part of their first base platoon away tells you what they thought of their chances this year. They also must have concluded Dubon won’t amount to anything at the major league level so they unloaded him for 25 innings of Pomeranz and a 29 year old AAAA arm.

I didn’t know Pomeranz is a free agent after the season. Wow. We have to stop letting Stearns trade with SF. First we get robbed for

Smith and now this move? Yikes.

Pomeranz is a free agent and Black, with 25 career MLB innings will be going on 30 and out of options.

The price of higher expectations and the fact that a large portion of the fanbase does not realize that despite the standings the team is pretty weak. The Brewers need to sell tickets to fans who still believe the team has a decent chance of making the postseason.

What is confusing to me is that now is when the media chooses to challenge the decisions the club makes and chooses decisions like CC bringing in Hader on 3 consecutive days to focus on, but I suppose blaming the manager is the most convenient and easy target to explain to the casual fan.

Of course the front office knows they didn’t have enough to get it done. That is why they actually sold at the deadline, trading away major league players for minor leaguers for next year. Faria isn’t helping them this year, but the fact their GM traded the right handed part of their first base platoon away tells you what they thought of their chances this year. They also must have concluded Dubon won’t amount to anything at the major league level so they unloaded him for 25 innings of Pomeranz and a 29 year old AAAA arm.

Stearns traded Aguilar away because he sucked and had a better option already on the roster, namely Grandal.

Archived