Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers lose, 6-2]

Eye Black

Yeah, completely disregard the prospect pitcher they also got, because it doesn't fit your narrative.

Prospect pitchers in a season following a so-close World Series appearance? Blah! I want guys that produce now! Go for it! We settled for a prospect and a backup ... we settled for a depleted bullpen when Knebel and Jeffress went down ... we settled for Shaw for 3 months ... we settled!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stearns's biggest flaw this far as GM is not paying for pitching. This is why i have said, the Brewers need to change their philosophy. It's pretty obvious they aren't going to develop TOR arms other than once in a blue moon, and you can't keep signing bottom of the barrel guys for the rotation. They need to spend all the money possible in FA to at least bring in ONE stud to anchor the rotation and fill in with as many value bats as you can find, and hope it works. That's the ONLY way I can ever see them winning a World Series under Stearns.

This makes zero sense. He's been the GM for like three years made it to Game 7 of the NLCS. Giving a pass on his first season, they'll probably have a winning record all three years and missed the playoffs by a game in his second. The strategy you're suggesting is basically what they did in their two "go for it" years with Melvin and basically had the same success one season. That's not a very strong argument that his strategy isn't working. In fact, I would say that it is, because with this staff you'd think this team is far worse than it really is. But they had so many problems, the pen falling apart and some black holes on offense, that all of it together just became insurmountable.

Bottomline, Santana has 20 plus homeruns and 70 plus RBI ... hitting in 270's, 280's all season ... borderline all-star candidate again this season.

Braun is still here. He is playing and playing pretty well. Gamel is now the 4th OF which is something that Domingo didn't seem to handle well. When you put all the factors together including OF flexibility, defense, baserunning, and offense, this deal was a win for the Brewers.

The offensive production we have had out of our LF position is just about in line with the production of Santana and we don't have to put up with his lousy outfield defense.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

I think the mediocrity of this team is far beyond its fortunes turning on sending Hiura down when they shouldn't have.

At the time it seemed like a huge deal but looking at it now this is true.

I don't know how many games having Hiura down and Shaw up cost us in June, but if it's 2, this race looks much different and maybe our deadline moves are different.

Santana has his flaws, but his bat still plays. He's in his prime over the next few years. I wouldn't have traded him (or Aguilar) when they were at the low valley of their worth.

Both of them should have been moved at their peaks, you are right on this. But they still should have been moved.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Find an injury for JJ or DFA him and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

Is Grisham benched for tomorrow already?

He probably will be. At the time of callup, Chicago's SP were not announced yet. I personally did not think Hamels would be ready to make a starts, and the backup plan was probably Alec Mills who is RH. I also believe Darvish is Sunday...so he would have had 2 starts this weekend. There's a decent chance he starts tomorrow though...

Find an injury for JJ and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

I can't understand how the front office expects anyone to buy into the deadline moves being anything at all when 2 of the 3 guys couldn't even make the team over a recent DFA pitcher and the other one can't even get into a game.

Also, imagine a world where we didn't bring back Moustakas and were stuck with Shaw starting everyday at 3b? Or imagine we don't bring in Grandal, and Pina is mediocre/gets hurt and we are rolling with Nottingham everyday?

I can imagine it. It's called the year 2020.

I think 3b will be ok. Often guys have down years and then really buckle down the following offseason. So maybe Shaw gets it in gear for 2020. Catcher is a bit of a different story, but we'll have some $ available to sign someone. Fair point though...

I'm not sure we'll have as much as people seem to think. Attanasio stretched the payroll to $122.5 million this year and with how disappointing this team has been, I'm not sure he'll be willing to do that again. As it is we're going to have $50.75 million committed to our starting outfield and buyouts to Grandal and Moustakas. I'm assuming Anderson and Thames' options will be picked up, that adds another $16 million. Knebel and Shaw will get another $10 million. Jeffress might have played himself into getting his option declined so he will either sign at a discount or move on in which case we'll need a replacement. Davies, Guerra, Claudio, Gamel and Arcia will get raises.

Obviously trades can be made but with not a ton of money to spend and a farm system that doesn't have any suitable replacements, it's going to be tough.

Is Grisham benched for tomorrow already?

He probably will be. At the time of callup, Chicago's SP were not announced yet. I personally did not think Hamels would be ready to make a starts, and the backup plan was probably Alec Mills who is RH. I also believe Darvish is Sunday...so he would have had 2 starts this weekend. There's a decent chance he starts tomorrow though...

I get that he could be but bringing him up solely to hit against RHP is also a mistake if that is the plan from the Brewers. If he's up, play him a bunch against everyone and let the kid get acclimated.

Find an injury for JJ and send Jackson packing. Call up Faria and Black. Use Pomeranz as well. See what you have in all three of those arms. It just cannot be any worse. If it is, well we get to roast Stearns a bit more I guess and we try again next season.

I can't understand how the front office expects anyone to buy into the deadline moves being anything at all when 2 of the 3 guys couldn't even make the team over a recent DFA pitcher and the other one can't even get into a game.

I wasn't a Dubon believer but it begs the question of whether or not we maxed his value out.

The Grisham situation is more fire for the what the heck is going on here take. I suppose Hammels coming back caught them off guard but what is the plan? If he isn't playing every day against everyone let him rake in San Antonio.

Oh my goodness, how is this game not 10-2? I feel like if Rizzo saw that pitch 10 times...he'd hit a HR 8 times.

Yeah, slider right down the middle. I don't know what his hot zones are but I would imagine that's a hot zone for 95% of MLB players.

Archived