Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers lose, 6-2]

Eye Black
Wonder if JJ spent more of his time opening up a food truck and DJ'ing that working on his craft as a pitcher. Not sure if this should be in blue or not.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone’s Direct stalling out or is it just mine?

I use Directv Now and it has been doing that a couple of times over the last 2-3 days.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

It will be really interesting to see where we are a year from now. A year ago, we were looking at Stearns like he was gold. Right now, I think a lot of opinions are changing and maybe rightfully so.

I've been saying this for awhile and take no joy in it. Some things just haven't gone his way but since the off season pitching decisions I've had questions. Big off season no doubt.

It will be really interesting to see where we are a year from now. A year ago, we were looking at Stearns like he was gold. Right now, I think a lot of opinions are changing and maybe rightfully so.

The more I look at his body of work, I see him as an outstanding offseason GM and a poor in-season GM.

It’s like almost everything you could want to go right went right last year, and now everything that you were hoping would go right is going wrong this year. They’re like photo negatives. And the longer this goes on, the more it feels like 2018 is the high water mark of the Stearns regime. I want this organization to be different, in the sense that I want to believe that scorched earth rebuilds aren’t necessary to be winners, but it’s getting harder and harder to believe it. When Chicago doesn’t even believe it, with all their resources, what chance does Milwaukee have? Ominous signs are these.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Whatever Jeffress had last year, he has lost.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

The more I look at his body of work, I see him as an outstanding offseason GM and a poor in-season GM.

Other than Schoop, I thought he did a good job last year.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewers doing a great job reducing any anxiety for the Cubs on a bad bullpen performance today. Quintana may go 8.

It would be huge if Braun could reach to lead off the inning. That might convince Maddon to go to the bullpen at some point in the 7th...and make them cover 1+ innings before Kimbrel. Heck even if we lose, he'd probably use about 4 pitchers over that 1+ innings.

Releasing Miley ... yuck!

Trading Santana for a backup ... yuck!

Not making a move to cover for Knebel and Jeffress due to injuries at the start of the season ... yuck!

Did he do all he could to retain our pitching coach from last season?

Not making a move to cover for Knebel and Jeffress due to injuries at the start of the season ... yuck!

Santana is literally the worst OF in the majors. He's piss poor. I wish they would have gotten more (even though I like Gamel), but I'm glad he's gone.

His in season work the last couple years has been pretty good to me. This year is the exception. Off season is skew due to Yelich trade but to me the lack of pitching moves is huge failure. Unless the Albers deal excites you. Tack on the draft issues and bloom may be off the rose.

1. The Brewers don't have unlimited money, hindsight is 20/20

2. Santana has 0.9 WAR as a full time player this year while Gamel as a backup has 0.4 WAR. Also that pitching prospect we received has had a very solid season.

3. The Brewers don't have unlimited money.

It's really easy to sit on your computer and say "why don't we have 7 Josh Haders, 5 Max Scherzers, and 9 Christian Yelich's".....

Santana is literally the worst OF in the majors. He's piss poor. I wish they would have gotten more (even though I like Gamel), but I'm glad he's gone.

I went down this road here before (with you?), but Santana is not that bad in the OF in my opinion ... they put him in LF in a new ballpark at the start of the season this year -- he had multiple errors; he's been fine since going back to RF. LF in Safeco Ballpark is rough for many guys from what I have read.

Bottomline, Santana has 20 plus homeruns and 70 plus RBI ... hitting in 270's, 280's all season ... borderline all-star candidate again this season.

Remember when Jeffress's agent was on the forum scoffing at the proposed extensions a couple posters wanted to give him in hypotheticals after last season? Pepperidge Farm does.

Oh do i, he was so arrogant about it...his confidence gave the impression he was anticipating Kimbrel money. Jeffress will probably be a $1-5 million reliever signed on a year to year basis...depending how good he was the previous season...for the rest of his career.

In-season moves were good.

Hiura doesn't have any better than a 40 arm.

Once he gets Tommy John, he will be fine.

Archived