Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-02: Brewers (Davies) at Cubs (Quintana) [Brewers lose, 6-2]

Eye Black
  • Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If that is the complaint, it is flawed to begin with.

Aguilar had a 63 wRC+ against LHP this year, should be easily replaced.

& I guess I'm missing the 2nd right handed bat we lost. (EDIT, oh I see it now, Saladino, he of the 6 wRC+ vs LHP.)

The only lefty on bulldogboys list in the lineup tonight is Moose & he has a 119 wRC+ vs LHP this year.

If we're using samples as small as 20 at bats anything can be "proven". If anything, you are highlighting another poor roster choice, not putting on a defense of it.

Perez's spot is now filled by Shaw. Aguilar's spot is filled by a lefty outfielder. Do either of these guys project to ultimately do better vs lefties? I didn't realize protections going forward were based off so few at bats.

Our position players have 1178 PAs vs LHP this year. The 8 players in our starting lineup have accounted for 849 of those PAs, or 71.8%.

Jesus & Saladino accounted (very poorly) for 114 of them, or about 9.8%.

The larger sample indicates our lineup today is at no disadvantage against a LHP.

What about pinch hit options later on for the pitcher against a lefty out of the pen?? How does that look??

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Well, that wasn't an ideal beginning. Davies has gone from so good to so bad, and there's no discernible reason for it.

I hear you but regression may be part of the reason. He just isn't that good. Unfortunate.

Davies is never going to be a world-beater, but I think his track record is long enough to prove that he's a solid mid-rotation starter. He pitched very well in 2017, fought injury last year, then pitched very well for half a season this year. He's been consistent his whole career when he wasn't hurt. That type typically doesn't scream drastic regression to me.

He hasn't been hitting his spots in his last several starts, and he doesn't have the stuff to counter that. He's typically pretty pinpoint accurate.

Our position players have 1178 PAs vs LHP this year. The 8 players in our starting lineup have accounted for 849 of those PAs, or 71.8%.

The larger sample indicates our lineup today is at no disadvantage against a LHP.

What about pinch hit options later on for the pitcher against a lefty out of the pen?? How does that look??

The majority of the plate appearance n the game will (likely) come against the starter, I'd plan for that ahead of one or two plate appearances that may or may not occur later on.

Against RH this year - 3040 PA - 394 Runs - .129 runs per PA

Against LH this year - 1238 PA - 137 Runs - .111

4278 PA this year in 110 games - 38.89 PA per game

38.89 * .129 = 5.0 runs per plate appearances worth of game vs RH

38.89 * .111 = 4.3 runs per plate appearances worth of games vs LH

Does this not seem like a pretty decent difference without potentially making it worse having by having Shaw off the bench instead of Perez or Aguilar? The offense vs lefties can be propped up by various rate stats but the black holes keep them from scoring runs at a rate of .7 runs per game.

Guys, the mashed potatoes at Whole Foods are delicious.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Ryan Braun forever?

Yes.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Great run-down by Cain!

Zach is keeping us in the game!

If the Brewers don't win, I'll go insane!

Surviving the first inning isn’t necessarily “keeping us in the game” territory. He better find some command or it’s going to be a long day.

Brauny with a good answer!

Could've used that yesterday Braun...

#RyanBraunForever

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Can anyone believe Manny Pina actually has a .744 OPS?

Been hot lately and has few enough ABs that a hot streak bumps the numbers pretty quick.

He's a good player. He just can't be relied on to be the #1 catcher because he wears down too much.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

He was 751 OPS In 330 ABs a few years ago.

He was 751 OPS In 330 ABs a few years ago.

It's just good to remind people sometimes because Jonathan Lucroy was DFAed today so there's a new thread a-coming soon.

Archived