Brewer Fanatic

Cole Hamels to start Saturday vs the Brewers

Brewcrewin07

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

12m

As anticipated, Maddon confirms that Cole Hamels will come off IL Saturday to start vs. Milwaukee.

Because of course he is..Maddon is too scared because the Crew will miss Hendricks and Lester this series. I HATE Joe Maddon, he just seems so arrogant and Though he has never said it publicly, I really think he HATES that the Brewers are even a threat in the division these last couple of years and will do ANYTHING to beat them. I really feel like Brewers series are like his Super Bowl.

I’ve heard Maddon speak about the Brewers and he speaks very highly of them. He’s trying to win a division and move towards another WS trophy. Why wouldn’t he want to beat us?
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

You want him to hold back one of his best, if not his best starter for what reason exactly? This isn't close to being worthy of a thread to begin with and the reasoning makes me want to post the ever popular Billy Madison meme.

I’ve heard Maddon speak about the Brewers and he speaks very highly of them. He’s trying to win a division and move towards another WS trophy. Why wouldn’t he want to beat us?

At this point he wants to beat anyone.. they are a bigger disappointment in the standings this year than the brewers are

Okay then..whatever you guys say..If you dont think his return in this series hasnt been planned for awhile idk what to tell you..Amazing how it just coincedentally worked out like that isn't it? Just like it's always coincedence that whille others in his rotation have missed turns against the Brewers..Jose Quintana never does..another strange coincidence I guess.

Okay then..whatever you guys say..If you dont think his return in this series hasnt been planned for awhile idk what to tell you..Amazing how it just coincedentally worked out like that isn't it? Just like it's always coincedence that whille others in his rotation have missed turns against the Brewers..Jose Quintana never does..another strange coincidence I guess.

Why wasn't it planned for last series? Then he could start twice against the Brewers.

Why wasn't it planned for last series? Then he could start twice against the Brewers.

Could have pitched against the Cardinals..not like he has just pitched a game or anything in the last few days..my point is..he's been ready..could have easily pitched last night or tonight. But he didn't..

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Dude, you need to read up on the Cubs Cardinals rivalry.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I can't even believe this is something to get worried about.

"That stop light turned red on me! How can you not see what's going on here!"

Depends on if there's any other cars around :tongue

Madison’s job with the Cubs is at stake. In that context I’m sure he doesn’t care on iota about the Brewers besides being another division opponent.

If the Cubs miss the playoffs he’s done. Hell, short of making the NLCS he’s likely finished in Chicago. Four of the premier hitters in the NL, and a 100 million dollar rotation. Could rival the Brewers for biggest disappointment

Coming into the season the most likely scenario was that one of CHI, MIL or STL would win the division & one of the other two might get a Wild Card as all three teams were relatively evenly matched & the NL as a whole looked more competitive than in 2018.

Now, four months into the season it looks like one of CHI, MIL or STL will win the division & one of the other two might get a Wild Card.

None of CHI, MIL or STL had better than 50% postseason odds before the season, so whichever of them doesn't make the playoffs won't be a big disappointment, they will have just fulfilled what was their most likely outcome all along.

Fair enough...you guys think/feel what you want to think, and I will do the same..We are all allowed to have differing viewpoints...I've just witnessed too many shenanigans from the Cubs through the years(especially the last few), to not make me wonder about the "convenience" of the timing of this, that's all. Wonder if he'd be back right now if they were starting a series against the Mariners, if they were playing the Crew after that?? Or...would he be held back for the Brewer series "conveniently"?? Just thinking out loud.

Purposely timing pitcher's return from the IL (including two rehab outings) weeks in advance so he returns for this series against the Brewers, hoping some find it triggering due to irrational hatred of the Brewers, vs.

The pitcher is ready to come off the IL and re-join the rotation. The manager is a little quirky, enjoys what he does and enjoys the competition against the Brewers

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

12m

As anticipated, Maddon confirms that Cole Hamels will come off IL Saturday to start vs. Milwaukee.

Because of course he is..Maddon is too scared because the Crew will miss Hendricks and Lester this series. I HATE Joe Maddon, he just seems so arrogant and Though he has never said it publicly, I really think he HATES that the Brewers are even a threat in the division these last couple of years and will do ANYTHING to beat them. I really feel like Brewers series are like his Super Bowl.

Honest question. No harm intended. How old are you? I’m just curious.

Purposely timing pitcher's return from the IL (including two rehab outings) weeks in advance so he returns for this series against the Brewers, hoping some find it triggering due to irrational hatred of the Brewers, vs.

The pitcher is ready to come off the IL and re-join the rotation. The manager is a little quirky, enjoys what he does and enjoys the competition against the Brewers

Haha, no kidding. Looking at their schedule too they needed a 5th starter this weekend, they were able to go the last 1-2 times through with 4 based on off days. It’s not like he’s shuffling guys around just to start Hamels tomorrow (who we probably should be happy to face since he hasn’t pitched a major league game in 2 months or so).

Madison’s job with the Cubs is at stake. In that context I’m sure he doesn’t care on iota about the Brewers besides being another division opponent.

If the Cubs miss the playoffs he’s done. Hell, short of making the NLCS he’s likely finished in Chicago. Four of the premier hitters in the NL, and a 100 million dollar rotation. Could rival the Brewers for biggest disappointment

I think he's done no matter what happens. He's either fired or quits.

Also, this thread is really stupid.

I’m not buying into the deep hatred theory, but I do think it isn’t a coincidence that Hamels is returning against the Brewers. I looked at the Cubs injury report before last weekend’s series and it said Hamels was on rehab and, if things went well, he would start on Sunday. That didn’t happen, so then I looked again on Monday and it said Hamels would be throwing a bullpen session and would start on Saturday if that went OK.

I think Maddon realizes that the Brewers are extremely left handed and have trouble with left handed pitchers, and that has just gotten more pronounced with Aguilar’s departure. Using Hamels against the Cardinals doesn’t give the Cubs any advantage over using Hendricks or Darvish because the Cards’ biggest power hitters (Goldschmidt, Martinez, DeJong) are right handed.

It’s also not a coincidence that Maddon gave Quintana a few extra days between starts so he could pitch Sunday and Friday against the Brewers. I’m also not totally convinced that Lester was really pulled from his scheduled start against the Giants due to illness. That illness might have come up suddenly when Maddon knew that Hamels wouldn’t be ready for the Brewers and he wanted two lefties in the series. I know Maddon said that Lester’s illness was one reason he removed him from Friday’s game while he was sailing along, but that might have been a convenient way to deflect the criticism he was getting.

Don’t kid yourself. Maddon, like all managers, plans his starting rotations to get favorable matchups if he can. I don’t see that as a sign of irrational hatred. I see it as a sign of respect and playing the percentages.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Jordan Bastian

@MLBastian

·

12m

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a5d4451084678616e6730fd93&rid=giphy.gif

I am more than happy Cole Hamels is starting this series.

It will give me great pleasure each and every time the Brewers offense lays a beatdown on him until he accepts the bitter Brewers/Cubs rivalry as a reality.

I am more than happy Cole Hamels is starting this series.

It will give me great pleasure each and every time the Brewers offense lays a beatdown on him until he accepts the bitter Brewers/Cubs rivalry as a reality.

Why do you care so much whether or not Cole Hamels thinks Brewers/Cubs is a rivalry?

Archived