Brewer Fanatic

2019-08-01: Brewers (Anderson) at Athletics (Bailey) 2:37 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 5-3 -- Trent Grisham’s MLB Debut; Bullpen blows lead by allowing 4 runs over final 2 innings]

Eye Black
  • Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just absolutely no idea why Counsell would have brought Hader in. he always talks about him needing his rest etc, then he brings him in for a third straight game for the first time in his career. Puzzling. What a kick in the nuts to lose this game...just absolutely could be the worst loss of the season when all is said and done.

If the guys we acquired can't even be used over our own tired guys, the acquisitions we made were absolutely worthless.

That's on CC he's always stuck with what he knew, even if he knew it was bad. You throw in Pom for the heart... hope some scrub(s) can get the bottom.

Taking him out now at least gives us the possibility of seeing him in game two. Jopal78! makes a great point though. This team continues to show its true colors. This game should've been put away several times over and they couldn't do it. It's been that way for awhile now.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The bases loaded nobody out situation once again is killer. Lucky to even score one run. You can't win like this. Nothing has been done to change it.

[sarcasm]Oh, cool, so you sit in on the meetings with the hitting coach, then? What are those like?[/sarcasm]

Hader has a legit problem. That’s going to torpedo this team, ladies and gents.

His problem is...working DOWN in the zone too much lately. It sounds strange, because that's typically where you want a pitcher to work, but not Josh, he is FAR more effective when he works UP in the zone. His fast ball down=very hittable(especially for a lefty), his fastball up=UN hittable.

You are like 10 years late with this, and it's not just Hader or 4 seam FB guys anymore. The long, looping, dip-your-back-shoulder style of hitting is in right now, making it very difficult to hit high pitches no matter if facing Zach Davies or Josh Hader. Also- the strike zone is now a few inches above the belt (unlike the years before statcast/pitchf/x).

Now if you are Christian Yelich, who is the odd lefty with a level swing--these pitching trends are great for you as you have no trouble getting to the belt-to-letters fastball.

If the guys we acquired can't even be used over our own tired guys, the acquisitions we made were absolutely worthless.

Seeing Yelich's comments before the deadline about how last season the team saw firsthand how important mid-season acquisitions can be towards late season success, and now watching them throw Guerra and Hader on the mound for three days in a row is really disheartening. I am trying to stay positive, but this bullpen needed to improve beyond the margins. If it would have cost too much, I understand that, but without true bullpen upgrades the remainder of the season has an ominous feel to it.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Seeing Yelich's comments before the deadline about how last season the team saw firsthand how important mid-season acquisitions can be towards late season success, and now watching them throw Guerra and Hader on the mound for three days in a row is really disheartening. I am trying to stay positive, but this bullpen needed to improve beyond the margins. If it would have cost too much, I understand that, but without true bullpen upgrades the remainder of the season has an ominous feel to it.

How do we know since they haven’t pitched yet?

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

The bases loaded nobody out situation once again is killer. Lucky to even score one run. You can't win like this. Nothing has been done to change it.

[sarcasm]Oh, cool, so you sit in on the meetings with the hitting coach, then? What are those like?[/sarcasm]

Good response. My bad. They have made strides and now are great in these spots.

Missed opportunities early in the game are significant but the mismanaging of the bullpen continues. Hader 2 nights in a row with two RH hitters coming up should have meant Jackson or Peralta immediately with Hader waiting for Olson. Hader also needs to fall out of love with his fastball.

Yep.

How do we know since they haven’t pitched yet?

I think you missed the point. It isn't that the guys they acquired can't be helpful (I am excited for Faria especially beyond this year), but only one is even on the current roster and he isn't being trusted over guys pitching for a third consecutive day (or even Jackson for that matter).

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived