Brewer Fanatic

Zack Greinke to the Astros

I wish the Astros hadn't pulled that Osuna stuff, I really want to be able to unabashedly root for them (in the AL only obviously).

Verlander/Cole/Greinke is such a fun 1-2-3 (not to mention Miley).

Too bad we'll never know what it's like in Milwaukee to be a team that can actually spend some REAL money. Kudos to Attanasio for loosening the pursestrings on Grandal/Moose, but I really wanted the Brewers to go for Verlander a few years ago and Greinke this year.

Astros are pretty much my WS pick every year lately, but certainly have locked that in today.

The Astros are playing chess while the rest of the league is playing checkers.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Diamondbacks are getting back Corbin Martin, J.B. Bukauskas, Seth Beer, and Josh Rojas.

The first three were considered among the Astros top 5 organizational prospects by several prospect outlets.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

After looking at the absolute haul the Astros gave up to get Greinke, there's no way the Brewers could've even come close.

Guessing the DBacks are eating a healthy amount of that contract, but even so, not sure the Brewers would want to take on 20-25M a year plus basically completely deplete their farm system for a mid-30s pitcher.

Still like the move for the Astros, but wasn't a good fit for the Brewers.

Those prospects are all better than anyone in the Brewers system right now. I think this shows exactly why we had no chance at a true impact pitcher. Now maybe we could have gotten a Sanchez or Leake but those aren't going to change the season much.

Diamondbacks are getting back Corbin Martin, J.B. Bukauskas, Seth Beer, and Josh Rojas.

The first three were considered among the Astros top 5 organizational prospects by several prospect outlets.

That is a pretty good haul for Greinke. I don't see how the Brewers could have topped that trade.

glad he's in the AL, and they wont have to see him in the World Series!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert tweets that Houston is paying about two-thirds of the roughly $75MM remaining on Greinke’s deal.

Certainly makes sense why the prospect return was so high.

So Astros get Greinke for roughly $12M/year for two more years after this year. I'm sure Brewers could afford that, but similar return is Turang/Grisham plus a couple better pitchers than the Brewers even have in the system right now (maybe Small and Kelly if they were trade-eligible).

I'm a huge Greinke fan, and despite knowing there was close to a 0% chance I was hoping for Brewers to get him. But apparently the deal is for (Using Fangraphs FV as it's easy to access) RHP Corbin Martin, RHP J.B Bukauskas (Both of them 50 FV), 1B/OF/DH Seth Beer (40+) and Josh Rojas (Unranked, 25yo 2B with a 136 wRC+ in AAA), and Astros will be on the hook for 54 of the 77m he is owed.

I think that's still OK for Houston considering how good they already were, and how stacked this makes their pitching staff, but that's quite a good haul for the Dbacks. Not sure I'd want to pay $53m over the next 2 1/3 seaons *and* give up (Purely in terms of matching FV; Dbacks probably wanted pitching so this deal likely wouldn't have worked anyway) Turang, Lutz (Brewers only two 50 FVs), Ashby and ... I don't really know who else. I mean it's Greinke so I might have still, but it's the kind of deal that makes sense for the Astros (And would have for the Dodgers or Yankees too), but not really for the Brewers.

MLB.com’s Steve Gilbert tweets that Houston is paying about two-thirds of the roughly $75MM remaining on Greinke’s deal.

Certainly makes sense why the prospect return was so high.

So Astros get Greinke for roughly $12M/year for two more years after this year. I'm sure Brewers could afford that, but similar return is Turang/Grisham plus a couple better pitchers than the Brewers even have in the system right now (maybe Small and Kelly if they were trade-eligible).

Obviously I read that wrong, and Houston is paying closer to $25M/year. Man, that's a lot to give up for one aging pitcher, even one as good as Greinke.

Am I out of line to think that since Houston is taking on that much of the money, over 50 mil, that they shouldn't have had to give up thaaaat much. When I saw the return I thought AZ would be chipping in much more. And when I first saw they got him without knowing the prospects I thought Houston has the money to eat the contract so likely won't have to pay the farm. Seems like they did both here, as someone else said it's an all in for the WS this year and next. Good for them and good luck, better them than Bos/NY/Cubs/LAD but also seems like a great deal for AZ.

What's crazy is that if Greinke got traded commanding that much, just think of how much the Mets/Giants/Rangers must've been asking for. Obviously Greinke has more years of control, but not exactly at market rate.

The trade market for rentals seems to have gone from "so low why would you bother trading them at all" to "try to ask for more and then end up not trading them at all."

Honestly though, trading top prospects for rentals is like sacrifice bunting. You give up more than you get, baseball is finally figuring that out, and no longer doing it.

Those prospects are all better than anyone in the Brewers system right now. I think this shows exactly why we had no chance at a true impact pitcher. Now maybe we could have gotten a Sanchez or Leake but those aren't going to change the season much.

well, unless we gave up Hiura, which I have no interest in.

Archived