Brewer Fanatic

Diplan to Twins for cash

JDBrewCrew

I remember when Peralta and Diplan were both getting promoted through the system at the same pace (both had really torn through the Midwest League), thinking both could be special prospects coming up together.

Never really happened for Diplan with the Brewers. He just can't throw enough strikes, going to be hard for him to stick even in the bullpen unless he can cut down his 4.9 career BB/9 (5.8 this year).

If you needed more proof that MLB pipeline's latest prospect list update may not be that accurate.

[sarcasm]We just traded our #21 prospect for a bucket of baseballs and none of Lazar, File, Zavolas, or Bettinger even cracked the top 30, so what are they worth???[/sarcasm]

I hope he does well with the Twins I can't believe we cant even get a player back.

Let's be honest, Diplan was probably the weakest player on the brewers 40 man roster the past few seasons and he hasn't shown near enough progress to worry about losing him. His best value to the organization was being a 40 man roster placeholder for the brewers to add mlb contributors at the deadline.

Best of luck to Mr. Diplan.

for further details on the new trade deadline rules, this trade could not have happened today. the brewers had the freedom to negotiate exclusively with the twins yesterday.

the only ways that the twins could have acquired diplan after 31 july:

--submitting a waiver claim to add him to their 40-man roster (and chancing that other teams ahead of them in the waiver claim process do not claim diplan themselves).

--wait for the brewers to opt to release diplan, instead of the brewers outrighting him. he'd then be a free agent and free to sign with any team.

Archived