Brewer Fanatic

Dubon to SF for Pomeranz and Black

torts

I think we should have just stayed put this year and let the incumbents play better. But I guess in the overall scheme of things we haven't really given up anything. Maybe some of these pitchers will help significantly. I kind of doubt it but who knows

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did the term needle mover become so fashionable as a way to describe a single player? It's as if only one big move can make a difference while a combination of little moves can't. Taking all the moves together we are aruguably better than we were yesterday. How isn't that moving the needle?
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I think we should have just stayed put this year and let the incumbents play better. But I guess in the overall scheme of things we haven't really given up anything. Maybe some of these pitchers will help significantly. I kind of doubt it but who knows

Lyles and Pomeranz are total gap fillers. Black and Faria have legit upside, though. The only determination you can make right now on the trades is "we'll see."

When did the term needle mover become so fashionable as a way to describe a single player? It's as if only one big move can make a difference while a combination of little moves can't. Taking all the moves together we are aruguably better than we were yesterday. How isn't that moving the needle?

Thanks. I hate this phrase as well as it says nothing and just something to say when you can't come up with anything of substance. Take last year, Granderson wasn't a needle mover was he but he helped. Soria, helped. Lyles last year, helped. But since some unknown Needle is involved...

My overall reaction to the moves is that, looking at this year only, the Brewers pitching staff is worse than it was two weeks ago (when it wasn’t looking good) and not significantly better (just a little deeper) than it was two days ago.

It’s going to take a hot streak from the offense to keep the team in playoff contention, and maybe just to keep them above .500 when they return home next week.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Just saw this after I posted. I said it before all the trades and still believe today that is what we should have done. We are competitive and would have remained so. I don't really mind any of the trades except the Dubon one because they also have an eye toward the future. What I don't want is them selling out for a single season if it means hurting future seasons.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Lyles and Pomeranz are total gap fillers. Black and Faria have legit upside, though. The only determination you can make right now on the trades is "we'll see."

Spot on. Gives the staff a shot in the arm, without giving up Moose or Grandal.

Pomeranz has much better numbers as a reliever than a starter, as is the case with Faria.

Black's a Knebel-lite, with very high K/9 numbers over his pro career.

Losing Dubon stinks... he was an upgrade over Arcia. But Pomeranz could be a good pickup - and I bet he's cheap to re-sign, and an upgrade over Claudio.

That said, if this gets the Crew back in the playoffs... it's worth losing Dubon.

Also, what might this say about Turang? AA/AAA in 2020, September 2020 debut? He could force the issue.

Pomeranz has much better numbers as a reliever than a starter, as is the case with Faria.

Black's a Knebel-lite, with very high K/9 numbers over his pro career.

Losing Dubon stinks... he was an upgrade over Arcia. But Pomeranz could be a good pickup - and I bet he's cheap to re-sign, and an upgrade over Claudio.

That said, if this gets the Crew back in the playoffs... it's worth losing Dubon.

Also, what might this say about Turang? AA/AAA in 2020, September 2020 debut? He could force the issue.

Turang has been pretty underwhelming just in High A much less thinking of him up to Milwaukee. He won't be near MLB ready in 2020, and most likely not even 2021.

I can pretty confidently say, the trade deadline date will be changed for next year.

With all of the trades that came in late I don't think this was a bad deadline at all. I do think it makes more sense to move it back a week or two though if you get too close to september callups I think teams will be less likely to trade as well.

I keep seeing how Dubon is an upgrade to Arcia. That's just not reality. People read WAY too much into AAA numbers, which are highly inflated this year on top of it. Dubon is OPSing .809, nice. Except Nate Orf is .802. Saladino was .943, we see how that's turning out. Spangenberg is at .900. Oh, and remember Travis Shaw recently raking down there.

Point is, .800 in San Antonio this year is nothing special at all. Dubon does not walk. Very limited power. As dissapointing as Arcia has been, Dubon can't touch his OPS with batting avg alone. And he's not going to hit .300 either. Dubon is Sardinas, Rivera, and the long list of middle IF we have seen before. He will struggle to stay on a roster as a utility guy. I get Arcia isn't much better, but he is better. And I still believe he can become a .750- .770ish hitter.

Pomeranz's numbers as a reliever are very intriguing to me (2.83 ERA, 9.6 K/9). If he does well, he's worth bringing back. Might be worth retaining just as a dominating reliever who could go multiple innings.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Pomeranz's numbers as a reliever are very intriguing to me (2.83 ERA, 9.6 K/9). If he does well, he's worth bringing back. Might be worth retaining just as a dominating reliever who could go multiple innings.

He's also only 1 1/2 years removed from a very solid 2-year run as a starter for the Red Sox. Only 30 years old too. Some Miley situational similarities.

deadline wont be moved next year, MLB is finally caught up to the rest of the professional sports leagues in the country with a single hard deadline.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

deadline wont be moved next year, MLB is finally caught up to the rest of the professional sports leagues in the country with a single hard deadline.

It'd be just as much of a single hard deadline if it was August 15th though.

This was a difficult deadline. No needle movers and the farm arguably gets worse. Idk I’m one that hates the purgatory that is mediocrity in sports. Overall I’m confused with the direction here. Especially with Faria and Black starting in the minors? I’m just frigging puzzled.

I haven't counted, but I don't think volume-wise this was a particularly slow deadline especially in the 2nd wildcard era. And honestly I don't like a ton of movement. August 15th is too late for my taste. You build a team in the offseason, that's your team. The years when volume has been high and every contender tried to upgrade their 5th reliever well it almost smacks of the obnoxiousness going on in the NBA.

I can pretty confidently say, the trade deadline date will be changed for next year.

With all of the trades that came in late I don't think this was a bad deadline at all. I do think it makes more sense to move it back a week or two though if you get too close to september callups I think teams will be less likely to trade as well.

Zero trades by the Red Sox and Yankees would be my argument why it’ll change.