Brewer Fanatic

Dubon to SF for Pomeranz and Black

torts

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Initial reaction was very much negative. But Pomeranz has performed well as a reliever, and a guy with Black's strikeout numbers and team control is intriguing I suppose so I'm not going to freak out about it and instead try to trust Stearns.

Was hoping to get more for Dubon though, or to see him replace Arcia who I have very little confidence in.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined

I like the way you think.

TROTW

This deal stinks out loud.

And you would know something about stinky deals, Sal.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Essentially Black is just like Wahl, who generally speaking I think we were all excited about getting. But, we got him for Broxton who we were cutting anyway so basically for nothing. That's the difference. But just pointing out to not hold how we got him against the player himself. He's got ridiculous stuff if they can hone it in.

Community Moderator
I'm really happy with the moves today--I think we will be glad to have all these bullpen pieces the rest of the way. Plus we avoided getting into any 10-team bidding wars (so far).

Initial reaction was very much negative. But Pomeranz has performed well as a reliever, and a guy with Black's strikeout numbers and team control is intriguing I suppose so I'm not going to freak out about it and instead try to trust Stearns.

Was hoping to get more for Dubon though, or to see him replace Arcia who I have very little confidence in.

This is probably what is most disappointing to me. I also have very little confidence in Arcia and it seems he is locked in as the everyday SS for at least the next year or two, no matter what.

I am all about this trade, if only for reactions from you all on here.

GOLD, JERRY. GOLD!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Essentially Black is just like Wahl, who generally speaking I think we were all excited about getting. But, we got him for Broxton who we were cutting anyway so basically for nothing. That's the difference. But just pointing out to not hold how we got him against the player himself. He's got ridiculous stuff if they can hone it in.

Good comp. I would still like to add that clear cut back of the pen closer, so that Hader can get back to his role of last season. Still time, I guess, but do we pay the price or fold ‘em and call it a day.

Very disappointing day. Dubon will be a good add for two guys who will not factor into the equation as far as difference making. Brewers are now locked into Arcia for the foreseeable future and the pitching is still no good. I actually can't blame Stearns though. They have nothing to deal of value to get what they need and it appears they don't want to add any major money so they are going to say we tried and hope fans keep coming out. Oh well. Too bad. They are in no mans land.

The negative to me is that Fauria and Black out of options next year and Pomeranz a FA in 2 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26th roster spot helps? I know what you mean though, kind of locks in bullpen spots a bit. Though Albers will be gone to free up a spot

Hahaha. Wow. This is an awful, awful trade. Even when I don't care for a Stearns trade much I'm usually in the camp of "let's see what happens", but trading Dubon for two DFA trade type guys...just wow.

Just stand pat if you're making deals like this.

I’m not a huge fan of the trade, but Black definitely is an interesting get. Big right hander that throws 100 and K’s a ton of guys. Not sure how much control we have him for, but it looks like 4.5. I think Black has a much higher floor than Dubon and should help our bullpen right away. Dubon would have to hit over .300 at the MLB level to be an impact player for us since he rarely will take a walk. I don’t think that is a likely outcome for him. I don’t think we are going to regret moving Dubon, especially if Black is striking out guys as frequently as Hader. Hopefully he can harness a little bit more control and become an effective late inning option.

Dubon is 24 and still doesn't mash AAA pitching. Just like when we dealt Phillip's and Cordell, we're giving up nothing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Ray Black has huge upside as a backend reliever. Hader, Knebel, Wahl, Black, could be a bullpen of death with lockdown guys sporting 12+ K/9 next season (not even counting a Jeffress rebound or Peralta)

Hard for me to say a 29 year old has huge upside as anything. He strikes out a lot of dudes, walks a lot of dudes and gives up a lot of homers. He's maybe a middle relief type guy.

FWIW, he had a lot of buzz coming into this season. The stats back it up, Steamer for example has a rest-of-season projection of 3.01 ERA, 3.10 FIP, 13.3 K/9. Don't just look at his ERA in 25 career innings.

He's been walking everybody and giving up homers on top of that in AAA which has led to a 5+ ERA. Forgive me if I find it unlikely that he posts a 3 ERA in the majors.

I'm not all that convinced Dubon is ever a first division starter at any position so I'm not all that disappointed in him being traded.

I'm pretty meh on this trade, but it's sorta quantity over quality so far. Acquired 4 guys and hopefully 1-2 of them are useful this year.

I really couldn't care less because I don't think Dubon is going to do a thing in the majors.

Additionally, There are ways to get more than adequate major league ready shortstops if/when the day Arcia is finished here.