Brewer Fanatic

Dubon to SF for Pomeranz and Black

torts

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...two months of a reliever that has supposedly been good out of the pen (but it could be a fluke), and an Alex Wilson clone who will clog a 40 man spot for Dubon? That's the steepest price for relief pitching anyone has paid yet. I'd rather have called up Devin Williams and Donnie Hart and rolled with it.

Not a fan of this trade at all. Seems like a lot to give up for a rental, especially since it means we're 100% banking on Arcia now.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
So...two months of a reliever that has supposedly been good out of the pen (but it could be a fluke), and an Alex Wilson clone who will clog a 40 man spot for Dubon? That's the steepest price for relief pitching anyone has paid yet. I'd rather have called up Devin Williams and Donnie Hart and rolled with it.

You let me know when Wilson touches 100 mph, as Black does regularly, and I'll take this seriously.

Without speaking to the additions of either Pomeranz or Black, I'll go on record as saying the Brewers will never regret trading away Dubon. I just don't see an effective major league bat there. He's a slap hitting version of Hernan Perez with less power. It's all upside with this trade if either Pomeranz or Black provide anything at all.

Has anyone looked at Black's K/9 numbers? Holy moly.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=black-000ray

Pomeranz has been K'ing a ton of dudes this year too. Been getting hit pretty hard though. Has given up a lot of homers.

Stearns must love those high FIP guys. He must think Hook can make them into something useful. Black, Pomeranz, Faria will fit right in to the mess that has been the Brewer pen this year. 3 bums who could easily end the year in AAA or DFA'd.

Maybe MKE and the league don't value Dubon nearly what he is on this site, but man these guys seem like the type you can get for nothing, not using your closest/best prospect. That said, it's not like I think Dubon is ever star or big time player but he was going to play in the bigs in some fashion Edited by tmwiese55

Verified Member
Ray Black has huge upside as a backend reliever. Hader, Knebel, Wahl, Black, could be a bullpen of death with lockdown guys sporting 12+ K/9 next season (not even counting a Jeffress rebound or Peralta)

You let me know when Wilson touches 100 mph, as Black does regularly, and I'll take this seriously.

Does black throw that hard? Know nothing about him.

Let's see how many #5 rotation types we can throw against the wall and hope 1 sticks.

Just like the approach of throwing three unproven starters out in the rotation. Not really a fan of Stearns assembling of the pitching staff.

Edited by mtrebs

LOL Sorry, but this deadline for the Crew has been a joke..no rotation help. Tanner Roark just went to the A's.

Are you suggesting Tanner Roark was the solution? He really isn't very good either.

No absolutely not, I just added that on to my post...but getting NO rotation help is an absolute Joke.

Ray Black has huge upside as a backend reliever. Hader, Knebel, Wahl, Black, could be a bullpen of death with lockdown guys sporting 12+ K/9 next season (not even counting a Jeffress rebound or Peralta)

Hard for me to say a 29 year old has huge upside as anything. He strikes out a lot of dudes, walks a lot of dudes and gives up a lot of homers. He's maybe a middle relief type guy.

LOL Sorry, but this deadline for the Crew has been a joke..no rotation help. Tanner Roark just went to the A's.

Are you suggesting Tanner Roark was the solution? He really isn't very good either.

No absolutely not, I just added that on to my post...but getting NO rotation help is an absolute Joke.

Still an hour and 20 minutes to go. Again ... hold tight.

Just read an interesting article on Black. Hits 104 on the gun. Has one of the highest spin rates on his slider in MLB. Top 20 in MLB last season in exit velocity. Coming off 2 TJ’s. Control issues. Very volatile. Sounds like the trendy bullpen hard thrower type that needs to be taught how to locate.

Just read an interesting article on Black. Hits 104 on the gun. Has one of the highest spin rates on his slider in MLB. Top 20 in MLB last season in exit velocity. Coming off 2 TJ’s. Control issues. Very volatile. Sounds like the trendy bullpen hard thrower type that needs to be taught how to locate.

I like the upside, but would be much more excited about this move if DJ was doing the teaching.

Verified Member

Hard for me to say a 29 year old has huge upside as anything. He strikes out a lot of dudes, walks a lot of dudes and gives up a lot of homers. He's maybe a middle relief type guy.

FWIW, he had a lot of buzz coming into this season. The stats back it up, Steamer for example has a rest-of-season projection of 3.01 ERA, 3.10 FIP, 13.3 K/9. Don't just look at his ERA in 25 career innings.

Have the Brewers not learned from all of the struggles when the bullpen continually walks guys??

T Williams and J Barnes can have electric stuff too, but we've all seen that movie many times over...