Brewer Fanatic

Jesus Aguilar to Tampa, Jake Faria to MIL

Here's what's yucky...now stop and think about this for a minute...IF this is all they do today..a team that is right in the thick of things for a playoff spot this year needs pitching...So, let's just assume Faria is with the MLB and goes into the rotation for the Brewers...they have filled their MAJOR pitching needs with...wait for it..Jordan Lyles and Jacob Faria?? Hang the NL Central banner now!

They are in the thick of it without those two additions. By adding two small pieces we just helped the pitching in an admittedly small way but we added to an already contending team. There is no reason to think adding those two will do anything but help. We added them without hurting our future to boot. In fact we helped it. It seems like you are one of those who would go all in every year the team is in contention. Which is fine if you plan on only being in contention for two out of every twelve years. For myself I'll take this type of move knowing this team has a better chance to contend of a consistent basis.

Better chance..maybe, guaranteed?? Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm a win now kind of guy...when you get close, you should really try to do whatever is possible to do to win now. I know that's what Mark A wants, he always has. You never know when these chances will come around again.

Good move for the future?? Sure, potentially, and I applaud him for that. But we are still in 2019, with a season to finish, and right in the middle of it...that should be the concern as of this moment.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is DS's solution for fixing the rotation/bullpen?? Wait for it folks...Jacob Faria and Jordan Lyles...*applauds* Take a bow DS...take a bow. This trade was like swapping one minor leaguer for another..ZERO impact for this year. pretty much just like Lyles.

Just because it’s not a big name guy doesn’t mean it doesn’t improve the team. Faria has some real promise. He could be a staple in the rotation for multiple years. I think that’s pretty valuable return for a guy people were talking about DFA’ing a month ago. I’m glad that Stearns is making moves to better us for years to come and not putting everything on the line for THIS year only and mortgaging the future.

The thing that worries me a bit is that Tampa seems like a savvy club, and they have a pitcher’s park down there. If they ditched a player with years of control left and a supposedly live arm, that’s a head-scratcher for me. I know you have to give something to get something, and maybe they really like Aguilar, especially in a year where it looks like there will not be many impact bats moving at the wire. I just hope we can help this guy find something Tampa couldn’t.

From what I hear Tampa was looking for right handed power.

Also trading from a position of strength. Guessing they want to get McKay back up (who also gives them a LH bat, being one of these new two-way players).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The thing that worries me a bit is that Tampa seems like a savvy club, and they have a pitcher’s park down there. If they ditched a player with years of control left and a supposedly live arm, that’s a head-scratcher for me. I know you have to give something to get something, and maybe they really like Aguilar, especially in a year where it looks like there will not be many impact bats moving at the wire. I just hope we can help this guy find something Tampa couldn’t.

Also worth noting that Matt Arnold came from Tampa so he knows the player quite well presumably.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Seems fine to me. MLB ready pitcher who can help right now. I'd guess they keep Shaw up now and will deal with Thames playing vs lefties since he's been OK at it this year.

I'd bring up Freitas who's been tearing the cover off the ball and play him or Grandal at 1B vs. lefties. Let's see if they don't use Faria to get a more established starter or now use Houser for that purpose.

I'm perfectly fine this. Decent 6'4 righty with several years of control left, and we got him for a player who has been the picture of inconsistent hitting, that frankly was fairly redundant on the MLB roster. It will be interesting to find out if the Brewers view Faria as a potential starter again in the future, or if they see him strictly as a bullpen piece.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I like the trade. Brewers were in a real hard place with Aguilar since he wasn't producing; at times I was wondering if they would DFA him due to roster crunch. I hope he flourishes in Tampa.

I had Jacob Faria on a lot of fantasy teams in 2017; he was quite good that year. There's some potential there. With the brewers system so desperate for pitching, its worth the gamble. Hopefully a change of scenery helps. He relative young and he's controllable.

I like it. 4+ years of team control for Faria as well. Did not expect this kind of return for Aguilar. I don't think either player will have a massive impact, but still seems like a win-win trade. Both teams trading from a surplus or position of strength to fill a need. Aguilar was always an awkward fit on the roster as a 1B-only, much easier to fit a guy like that in when you have a DH spot.

Will be interesting to see what the Brewers do at 1B now, and if that results in any other promotions (Grisham, Freitas, Dubon?)

Good for both I guess. I agree the Brewers were in a tough spot with Aguilar. I don't get to actually see too many games but his secondary stat type numbers from Fangraphs look the same or better than the last couple seasons. Based on that, I'd say he's due for a rebound.

Faria is a fair return though; hope it works for both teams and Aguilar goes back to being a very good hitter.

giphy.gif

Not a fan of Aguilar's and we got a young(ish) controllable pitcher with promise. I like it!

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Its a bunched up wild card with few teams as pure sellers and with a clear dominant team in the Dodgers controlling the road to the World Series. This is a really bad season to try to pull off some huge trade to go all in. These are exactly the types of deals I expect to see.

I would say the Brewers pitching problem is injuries more than anything. So yes adding filler type guys addresses the need until the injured guys return. This would be a terrible time to go after like a Greinke.

Better chance..maybe, guaranteed?? Not by any stretch of the imagination. I'm a win now kind of guy...when you get close, you should really try to do whatever is possible to do to win now. I know that's what Mark A wants, he always has. You never know when these chances will come around again.

Good move for the future?? Sure, potentially, and I applaud him for that. But we are still in 2019, with a season to finish, and right in the middle of it...that should be the concern as of this moment.

What move would you make that would guarantee wins this year since that is what you want from the Brewers' front office?

I definitely am a big fan of the low cost here. We have any number of options that could plausibly provide similar production with those ABs and get another youngish pitcher. Very few deals actually have that big of an impact for teams at the deadline, so improving roster balance this year and going forward is pretty big in my book. Clearly the more pitchers you have under control the better.

Freitas is batting (get this) .463 (33 for 70) vs. LH pitching this year. I'd be very upset if he doesn't get a call up. This team remains very vulnerable vs. LHP and they need a guy who can mash against lefties. Plus he gives them a 3rd catcher which can come in handy.

What move would you make that would guarantee wins this year since that is what you want from the Brewers' front office?

There are NO guarantees, BUT I would definitely be willing to bet that Robbie Ray would help them(substantially) this year, so would Greinke...and guess what?? The beauty of that is, they are also under control NEXT year too. Not just rentals

So if the Brewers are right in the middle of it, and the other teams they're jockeying for position with are making meh or no moves, how does this move hurt the Brewers? They're already right there, the Cubs have made some lateral moves, the Cardinals, Nationals and Phillies have yet to do anything. The Giants and Diamondbacks look to be sellers. What am I missing? How does this spell doom for the Brewers? They're still in the mix, right? And have added two pitchers and the day isn't over.

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Seems fine to me. MLB ready pitcher who can help right now. I'd guess they keep Shaw up now and will deal with Thames playing vs lefties since he's been OK at it this year.

I'd bring up Freitas who's been tearing the cover off the ball and play him or Grandal at 1B vs. lefties. Let's see if they don't use Faria to get a more established starter or now use Houser for that purpose.

That's a good option, but better is use Braun as the RH half of the 1B platoon. Then call up Grisham to be the everyday LF and lead off man. Do it today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Brewers aren't taking on Greinke's contract.....forget about it

Ray would be nice....what do you have to give up to get him? Wanting somebody without factoring in cost is only half the equation.......Stearns would take Ray in a minute....but clearly the asking price has not gotten to an area that he is comfortable with.........it is his job to make those determinations.......not give AZ whatever they want to acquire him......

That's a good option, but better is use Braun as the RH half of the 1B platoon. Then call up Grisham to be the everyday LF and lead off man. Do it today.

Player control is power. I'm not interested in starting Grisham's clock until the cutoff point next year and gladly take 3.5 years of cheap Grisham if he breaks out into stardom as many here are predicting.

Archived