Brewer Fanatic

Jesus Aguilar to Tampa, Jake Faria to MIL

Community Moderator

Or right that makes sense too with Pina playing well. I'm really surprised they got someone this good/promising for Jesus with how poor he's been this year. Seems like a good deal to me

Yep. I do think Aguilar will produce with TB but this seems like a really smart way to add an arm without giving up any prospects. Aguilar has been below replacement level with us this year.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thames will be back next year! Mr. Braun, grab a 1b glove!

LF now open for Grisham in 2020? :) [/quote

I know this maybe heresy, looks great, but the Grisham train could derail quickly. Hope not, just too early to tell for me.

Verified Member
Not sure how much it will move the needle in 2019, but this is a fantastic return for Aguilar who looked like a DFA candidate most of this season. Faria has real upside as a starter.

*puke* I hope this isn't all they do today. Yuck, yuck, and more yuck.

I don't get what is so "yucky" about this move?

Here's what's yucky...now stop and think about this for a minute...IF this is all they do today..a team that is right in the thick of things for a playoff spot this year needs pitching...So, let's just assume Faria is with the MLB and goes into the rotation for the Brewers...they have filled their MAJOR pitching needs with...wait for it..Jordan Lyles and Jacob Faria?? Hang the NL Central banner now!

Looks like we have Faria for 4.5 years. I like this trade quite a bit. Lengthy control of a solid looking pitcher and eliminates the first base log jam. The one big red flag for me is the walks. BB/9 of 4 is a little high for my liking.

Hopefully Braun moves to first base next season mostly full time as I feel that gives Stearns the option to get a good look at Grisham in the outfield in 2020 or to make a splash in free agency.

Mark it, Jesus finds his magic and just mashes from here on out.

Makes no difference to us though, that wasn't happening in Milwaukee.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Not sure how much it will move the needle in 2019, but this is a fantastic return for Aguilar who looked like a DFA candidate most of this season. Faria has real upside as a starter.

How I see it as well. He was a bag of chips trade candidate. This guy has a chance.

Love it. Faria has four years of control after this, decent profile, not a soft tosser, has started, and if he stinks out of the gate we can option him for a couple weeks. Trading an inconsistent Aguilar from an area of strength (though I'd prefer Braun start taking some ground balls).

This is DS's solution for fixing the rotation/bullpen?? Wait for it folks...Jacob Faria and Jordan Lyles...*applauds* Take a bow DS...take a bow. This trade was like swapping one minor leaguer for another..ZERO impact for this year. pretty much just like Lyles.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Here's what's yucky...now stop and think about this for a minute...IF this is all they do today..a team that is right in the thick of things for a playoff spot this year needs pitching...So, let's just assume Faria is with the MLB and goes into the rotation for the Brewers...they have filled their MAJOR pitching needs with...wait for it..Jordan Lyles and Jacob Faria?? Hang the NL Central banner now!

Maybe wait until 3pm before puking then?

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I like how you assume that they are done by calling the trade "yuck" (how old are you anyway?)

My guess is those phone lines are still hot.

The thing that worries me a bit is that Tampa seems like a savvy club, and they have a pitcher’s park down there. If they ditched a player with years of control left and a supposedly live arm, that’s a head-scratcher for me. I know you have to give something to get something, and maybe they really like Aguilar, especially in a year where it looks like there will not be many impact bats moving at the wire. I just hope we can help this guy find something Tampa couldn’t.

This is DS's solution for fixing the rotation/bullpen?? Wait for it folks...Jacob Faria and Jordan Lyles...*applauds* Take a bow DS...take a bow. This trade was like swapping one minor leaguer for another..ZERO impact for this year. pretty much just like Lyles.

You need to take a break. This isn't healthy.

You're done now, right? I think we all know where you stand.

Well, Syndergaard's price tag is so high it's driven everyone away, the Giants have no real reason to trade Bumgarner anymore, and Stroman and Bauer have already been traded. Who are you expecting? Which contenders are doing much more than this right now?

I heard Syndergaard is off the market anyway. Maybe Wheeler...?

The thing that worries me a bit is that Tampa seems like a savvy club, and they have a pitcher’s park down there. If they ditched a player with years of control left and a supposedly live arm, that’s a head-scratcher for me. I know you have to give something to get something, and maybe they really like Aguilar, especially in a year where it looks like there will not be many impact bats moving at the wire. I just hope we can help this guy find something Tampa couldn’t.

The Rays are in a 40-man roster crunch after the season, and are flush with pitching. That's why these two teams matching up on a deal made a ton of sense.

You should definitely post this again, just for the posters who didn't read the exact same post about ten posts up.

They are in the thick of it without those two additions. By adding two small pieces we just helped the pitching in an admittedly small way but we added to an already contending team. There is no reason to think adding those two will do anything but help. We added them without hurting our future to boot. In fact we helped it. It seems like you are one of those who would go all in every year the team is in contention. Which is fine if you plan on only being in contention for two out of every twelve years. For myself I'll take this type of move knowing this team has a better chance to contend of a consistent basis.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Perhaps you should wait and see if Stearns is actually done dealing first?

The Rays are in a 40-man roster crunch after the season, and are flush with pitching. That's why these two teams matching up on a deal made a ton of sense.

Good context, thanks!

From what I hear Tampa was looking for right handed power.

Archived