Brewer Fanatic

Drew Smyly kickin it for Phils

harrydalton

I blinked and I missed what happened. I saw we signed him to a minor league deal, someone said, "hey, what about Shelby Miller? Remember when he was good." And then I saw Smyly on the Phils. Did they dump Smyly after we picked up Miller?

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I blinked and I missed what happened. I saw we signed him to a minor league deal, someone said, "hey, what about Shelby Miller? Remember when he was good." And then I saw Smyly on the Phils. Did they dump Smyly after we picked up Miller?

I think he asked for his release and it was granted.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

He exercised his out clause, likely because the Phillies offered him a major league deal.

Just really crappy timing for the Brewers, as he'd easily be in the rotation now.

He exercised his out clause, likely because the Phillies offered him a major league deal.

Just really crappy timing for the Brewers, as he'd easily be in the rotation now.

Yeah, I went back and found the thread. Really couldn't have been worse timing. You'd think he'd be making his second start for the Brewers tonight or at least in this series had he stayed.

Very frustrating timing on all accounts. If our myriad of injuries happen literally a couple of days earlier, he’s likely in our rotation and our playoff chances could be drastically altered.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

you guys, he had a 4.97 ERA for San Antonio, this is clearly a case of hindsight is 20/20 for those complaining that he isn't in our rotation. nobody was clamoring for him to be brought up while he was there.

Of course not ... because while he was there, the rotation was healthy. Things have changed pretty significantly since.

The point here is irony. It' s not that he earned let alone deserved something from the Brewers. Stearns is a very sharp GM and this is not a knock on him.

The Phils offered him a roster spot and chance to start. They said they had an idea how to fix his problems by changes in his pitch selection. But Smyly could quickly revert to his form prior to the Phils.

This situation just points out in a dramatic, but very short term way, the importance of timing in player decisions.

• 2 weeks later...

From @AP_Sports: Phillies/Cubs game story: Smyly gave up five runs in five innings. He has an 8.04 ERA in his past three starts after allowing one run in 13 innings in his first two starts for the team.

Extend Stearns!

Archived