Brewer Fanatic

Jordan Lyles is Back! (Cody Ponce is gone; Diplan DFA'd)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Antanasio told the crew early in the season that they weren't going to pick up any more players. For Stearns to be able to get an arm went against the venture capitalalist's words. So I am surprised that the venture capitalist let Stearns pick anyone up.

Good grief, what is with this obsessive "venture capitalist" stuff? You even use the term wrong. A VC gets in at early stage funding on a new company. I do not think the Brewers were a new concept early stage company. Further, I do not think Attanasio and partners have demonstrated any kind of buy, bleed and sell ideology.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Antanasio told the crew early in the season that they weren't going to pick up any more players. For Stearns to be able to get an arm went against the venture capitalalist's words. So I am surprised that the venture capitalist let Stearns pick anyone up.

This has got to be that other guy who says Mark A hoards his money.

Doubtful....but I see the similarities.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

This has got to be that other guy who says Mark A hoards his money.

Doubtful....but I see the similarities.

I was only kidding. Just seeing the same types of posts from new posters over and over.

Good grief, what is with this obsessive "venture capitalist" stuff? You even use the term wrong. A VC gets in at early stage funding on a new company. I do not think the Brewers were a new concept early stage company. Further, I do not think Attanasio and partners have demonstrated any kind of buy, bleed and sell ideology.

Whatever, he's a capitalist therefore evil. Dont stop him, he's on a roll.

Maybe now is the time for me to tell a little story about Cody Ponce. It happened during a double header in Frederick when Cody was with Carolina. Now the visiting team there has to walk up through the stands to get to their clubhouse. Before the first game I noticed there was, I'm not sure of the politically correct term, but "special needs" kid who was there with his father. The kid was wearing a Keys or Orioles jersey, I can't remember which.

Apparently, Cody Ponce also recognized this because he called a fan over to the side of the dugout and gave him an autographed ball and then pointed the kid out. The fan then brought this ball to the kid. He was obviously very happy somebody would take the time to do something like that for him. I think Cody then waved at the kid and his father.

After game 1, these two came over where the Mudcats players were going to the clubhouse and thanked Cody. He then took the ball and got other players to sign it as well. I think Isan Diaz was one of them.

Anyway, though i'm not a big fan of Cody's stuff as a picher I have always thought of him as a special player after that. Not many would go out of their way like that to please a kid they don't even know. Sorry to see him go.

Nice story. I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that many of these guys are good people. They may eventually fall short in their major league career. Yet we should never call them the names that some fan boards love to do.

Nice story. I think sometimes we lose sight of the fact that many of these guys are good people. They may eventually fall short in their major league career. Yet we should never call them the names that some fan boards love to do.

Or vice versa kinda...... some guys do more outside of the public eye and appear to be jerks on the field because they keep to themselves/aren't smiling whatever...

Brew Crew 92?

Did he get banned/suspended?

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Maybe now is the time for me to tell a little story about Cody Ponce. It happened during a double header in Frederick when Cody was with Carolina. Now the visiting team there has to walk up through the stands to get to their clubhouse. Before the first game I noticed there was, I'm not sure of the politically correct term, but "special needs" kid who was there with his father. The kid was wearing a Keys or Orioles jersey, I can't remember which.

Apparently, Cody Ponce also recognized this because he called a fan over to the side of the dugout and gave him an autographed ball and then pointed the kid out. The fan then brought this ball to the kid. He was obviously very happy somebody would take the time to do something like that for him. I think Cody then waved at the kid and his father.

After game 1, these two came over where the Mudcats players were going to the clubhouse and thanked Cody. He then took the ball and got other players to sign it as well. I think Isan Diaz was one of them.

Anyway, though i'm not a big fan of Cody's stuff as a picher I have always thought of him as a special player after that. Not many would go out of their way like that to please a kid they don't even know. Sorry to see him go.

Great story. Love hearing things like this involving guys within the organization. Best of luck to Ponce!

Am I crazy or did I miss who we sent down off the 25 man roster to clear a spot for Lyles? Current roster on mlb.com has 26 guys.

He doesn't have to be officially activated until right before game time. I'm sure they will wait until the dust settles on the trade stuff before they decide who gets the boot.

To keep the 8 pages going, I can retort to the first three:

1) Should the Brewers have spent $3.5 million of resources by picking up Lyles' option last winter? Yes, because they've already spent $900k on Petricka, 750k on Alex Wilson, plus whatever compensation they've paid to Jay Jackson, Donnie Hart, Burch Smith, Deolis Guerra, and Aaron Wilkerson. Those pitchers' ineffectiveness is at least part of the reason Lyles was re-acquired

2) Would the team have been better if they had? Most likely, as the trickle down effect on the pitching staff from having Houser start, would have been lessened, also Lyles' 4.81 FIP is better than any of those aforementioned relievers who have given the Brewers in excess of 60 mostly forgettable innings

3) Do I care they gave up Ponce, a 25 year old having success in his third year of AA prior to being Rule 5 eligible? Only slightly. Ponce does throw 95+ and has a K:BB ratio of 3:1 in the minor leagues. These type of trades are what lead to the acquisitions of Burch Smith, Alex Wilson, Jake Petricka in the first place. Lack of homegrown arms with talent to fill up the last few roster spots

Ultimately, if the season rests on Lyles they are in trouble, but when one game can make the difference between making the post season or not, I don't think there's a real question that they should have kept Lyles to begin with.

A lot of your retort is done with the benefit of hindsight. Sitting here today, would the Brewers retroactively pick up the option? Of course. At the time, when they didn't know that Knebel would get hurt, 4/5 of the rotation would be a failure, and that other, similar looking options like Petricka, Gurerra, etc. would be useless, it made sense. Wilson wasn't acquired until well after Lyles was with the Pirates.

In the end, if Lyles had stunk with Pittsburgh, or if the Brewers had similar success with their bullpen, this would have been a non-event. In the end, they gave up virtually nothing (which is what Ponce is more likely to be) to get him back because they had to. Meh.

It appears Corbin Burnes was sent to AAA to make room for Lyles....

http://m.mlb.com/mil/roster/transactions

Burnes wasn't on the 25-man while on the IL. Lyles took Aguilar's spot on the roster.

Just to be technical, but players on the IL count as on the active roster, since they accrue service time.

on the 40-man, not the 25-man

Burnes wasn't on the 25-man while on the IL. Lyles took Aguilar's spot on the roster.

Just to be technical, but players on the IL count as on the active roster, since they accrue service time.

on the 40-man, not the 25-man

I think this is kind of a sticky wicket in the labor agreement. If a player has options, and has used an option in a year in which he gets injured while on the 25-man roster then it is advantageous for the team to option the player before putting him on the IL, as then he does not accrue MLB service time (nor salary). This would be poor management, of course, and rarely happens. However, it gets trickier when that player comes off the IL and is on "rehab." If his play hasn't been MLB worthy (Burnes) and he has already used his option that year (Burnes), it only makes sense to option the player rather than "rehab" the player, even though he may have been on the 25 man at the time he was injured.

Anyways, I think there is going to be some major re-hauls to the "options" system in the next labor agreement.

Lyles already likely did more than Ponce ever would have.

Obviously a couple really rotten starts in the future could change this, but there's probably an argument to be made that we've already gotten more out of Lyles than we ever would've out of Ponce. And in a pennant race too.

Is it me, or did Lyles and Anderson look extremely similar in their pitching last night.

These guys aren't that similar actually. Lyles money pitch is his curve, while Anderson is the changeup. Both throw a lot of high fastballs, but otherwise attack hitters a lot differently.

Archived