Brewer Fanatic

Jordan Lyles is Back! (Cody Ponce is gone; Diplan DFA'd)

I think Ponce can be a middle reliever in the bigs. They needed Lyles because they are desperate for an arm who can eat up chunks of innings. He’s got a live arm but his command is up and down. I get the move. I’m not optimistic as to where this season is headed so we might as well try to maintain our minors as much as possible.

Exactly. I think this trade shows Stearns isn't delusional and understands even if we can find a way to win this division, we're simply outclassed by the Braves and the Dodgers who IMO are outclassed by the Yanks and the 'Stros.

I just can't see Stearns paying the price to get one of the starters, Syndergaard, Ray, whoever, given where we are.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I was getting flak for suggesting Ivan Nova? Lyles has been the worst starter in baseball the last 6 weeks.

You're right! Lyles has been horrible as a starter the last 6-7 weeks. I gave you flak on Nova, but I'd much rather have Nova than Lyles going against the Cards or cubs. I just hope this wasn't Stearns' last move to improve the team.

I think Ponce can be a middle reliever in the bigs. They needed Lyles because they are desperate for an arm who can eat up chunks of innings. He’s got a live arm but his command is up and down. I get the move. I’m not optimistic as to where this season is headed so we might as well try to maintain our minors as much as possible.

Exactly. I think this trade shows Stearns isn't delusional and understands even if we can find a way to win this division, we're simply outclassed by the Braves and the Dodgers who IMO are outclassed by the Yanks and the 'Stros.

I just can't see Stearns paying the price to get one of the starters, Syndergaard, Ray, whoever, given where we are.

Don't forget Mark A's desire to win.

I think you are severely overvaluing how much difference a swing man is going to make.

The trickle down effect of not having a reliable guy like Lyles available in the pen is you have Corbin Burnes getting overexposed in MLB with no better options, not to mention a firewall against the Burch Smiths and Jake Petrickas of the world.

I’m not saying he would have ably filled in for Knebel or anything. But the marginal cost of keeping Lyles over the pitchers who pitched instead is say $2 million. The Brewers will have nearly $140MM in payroll expenses this year. That’s less than 1.5% of payroll for insurance. That’s worth it to me.

But the marginal cost of keeping Lyles over the pitchers who pitched instead is say $2 million.

What evidence do you have that he was better than the pitchers who pitched instead? Barnes and Williams had much lower career FIPs (and still do), and cost a lot less (and still do). I can see keeping Lyles if he had an advantage in one area (expected/historical production, cost), but he didn't have an advantage in either IMO.

But the marginal cost of keeping Lyles over the pitchers who pitched instead is say $2 million.

What evidence do you have that he was better than the pitchers who pitched instead? Barnes and Williams had much lower career FIPs (and still do), and cost a lot less (and still do).

Well, Lyles had a better fWAR than either Barnes or Williams last year.

I think all three are about similarly skilled as relievers. Relievers are volatile though, so why not keep all three? Plus Lyles had shown the ability to start/swing, which neither Williams not Barnes have shown the ability to do. Clearly, Lyles did indeed show promise as a starter for 10+ starts this year. Williams and Barnes will never do that.

I think you are severely overvaluing how much difference a swing man is going to make.

The trickle down effect of not having a reliable guy like Lyles available in the pen is you have Corbin Burnes getting overexposed in MLB with no better options, not to mention a firewall against the Burch Smiths and Jake Petrickas of the world.

I’m not saying he would have ably filled in for Knebel or anything. But the marginal cost of keeping Lyles over the pitchers who pitched instead is say $2 million. The Brewers will have nearly $140MM in payroll expenses this year. That’s less than 1.5% of payroll for insurance. That’s worth it to me.

Well it was $3.5 FWIW.

Should we also have bought a $4-5 million dollar SS to shield against Saladino getting regular time as well? Where do we draw the line?

What if Lyles was the ST injury? *mind blown*

Well it was $3.5 FWIW.

Should we also have bought a $4-5 million dollar SS to shield against Saladino getting regular time as well? Where do we draw the line?

I said the marginal cost, which is $3.5MM less whatever they’re paying the guys who have been pitching instead of Lyles.

Not sure I follow your Saladino analogy. He was never making the MLB team, unless there were a rash of injuries. In which case they probably would have brought someone else in. Probably not for $4-$5MM though.

Not sure I follow your Saladino analogy. He was never making the MLB team, unless there were a rash of injuries. In which case they probably would have brought someone else in. Probably not for $4-$5MM though.

Well isn’t Saladino like Alex Wilson, who also never would’ve made the team if not for several injuries? I mean, this is exactly what the Brewers did. The injuries happened and then they went out and paid for Gio. Then more injuries and underperformance and they had to go to further down tier and get Lyles.

I get the angst over Lyles’ recent performances but given the Brewers proclivity for carrying several guys with big league experience in the AAA bullpen was Ponce even guaranteed a AAA spot next season? It would seem Williams, Sanchez, Barker, Griep and Perdomo if he is brought back would be ahead of Ponce, plus Andrews if they push him. That’s not even taking into account Olczak or the possibility that Derby gets moved to the bullpen. I view this as similar to when they dealt Hanhold. He might work his way into an MLB spot but his biggest recent calling card is being good to very good on a team that has had a lot of very good to great relievers the past couple of years.

Quick hits:

-People are way overreacting about the not signing Lyles regret. The guy was here last year to eat innings and not even close to sniffing the playoff roster.

-Lyles has been garbage all month, and his overall 2019 numbers have reverted to career norms, which are bad. They'll come he pitches like he did in April and May, expecting to get one more (better) starter and dump him from the rotation when Chacin and/or Woodruff return. Low risk because,

-Trading Ponce is not a big deal. We have four or five decent bullpen arms in AA (and now AAA, since Williams moved up). He would also have had to be added to the 40 next year.

-We don't have the patience to have Diplan on the 40 for two more years in hopes he figures something out. He's probably likely to clear waivers as it is.

-Rankings are meaningless - even plugging the rankings of his employer, I'm not sure how McCalvey doesn't feel like he needs to take a shower after Tweeting than Diplan is our #21 prospect, yet NONE of Lazar, File, Zavolas, or Bettinger crack the top 30.

-A few people are overacting on this thread, not most.

- Rankins are full of meaning, just not accurate all the time... kinda like a weather forecast

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The venture capatalist group is okay with profits at this point. The old Brewer pathetic analogy is starting to fester.

You're basing your conclusion on the fact that they made a minor deal for a depth pitching piece two days before the deadline. All I have to say is Wow.

It's like Stearns needed a date for a dance got desperate and called an ex girlfriend so he could go! LOL Matt Harvey could have given you similar production and you still have Ponce, not that I'm heartbroken over trading him. Oh well, maybe something else is in the works, but Jordan Lyles? LOL

The venture capatalist group is okay with profits at this point. The old Brewer pathetic analogy is starting to fester.

You're basing your conclusion on the fact that they made a minor deal for a depth pitching piece two days before the deadline. All I have to say is Wow.

Stop drinking your Brewer Kool aid and face the facts. Without Yelich this team would be sub par.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stop drinking your Brewer Kool aid and face the facts. Without Yelich this team would be sub par.

Love arguments like this.

"Without the best player in baseball, this team would not be as good"

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Love arguments like this.

"Without the best player in baseball, this team would not be as good"

Seems to be a lot of his type lately around here. I guess if we can have anti-heroes, we can also have anti-fans.

I mean he’s right. It’s like saying the Cavaliers wouldn’t have won the championship without LeBron. No crap Sherlock

Community Moderator
If I’m looking at this correctly, it appears the Brewers will be on the hook for approximately $700,000 of Lyles remaining contract this season. Has anyone come across different information on the financials, or does that seem accurate?
Not just “at Night” anymore.

Archived