Brewer Fanatic

Jordan Lyles is Back! (Cody Ponce is gone; Diplan DFA'd)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And I was getting flak for suggesting Ivan Nova? Lyles has been the worst starter in baseball the last 6 weeks.

yikes.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

So, now that we have the Central wrapped up, what's our next move?

Are there any washed up horrible shortstops out there that we can replace our horrible shortstop with?

Are there anymore crappy starters or relievers out there that are not better than anything we already have to push us along to the playoffs?

The Lyles move is just stupid imo.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm sort of indifferent on this move. They probably needed a starter to make a start in Oakland. Get a deal done today without giving up much of anything.

Figure out the rest later.

The Cubs traded for Maldonado because they needed a back up catcher for two weeks while Willson Contreras was on the IL. I wouldn't get too concerned about this trade for the Brewers.

I'm sort of indifferent on this move. They probably needed a starter to make a start in Oakland. Get a deal done today without giving up much of anything.

The Cubs traded for Maldonado because they needed a back up catcher for two weeks while Willson Contreras was on the IL. I wouldn't get too concerned about this trade for the Brewers.

Easier to get angry though.

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Yep. Gaining a spot starter/possible bullpen asset that's at least better than the Burch Smiths of the world for nothing isn't much to get concerned about. This isn't going to stop a larger move if they find one they like.

The hype, etc on Diplan really is a sad story. Had a favorable ceiling for awhile..

It is a sad story. However, it's one that happens to about 90%+ of a teams "top prospects".

There are only a limited number of MLB jobs and if you are not the best of the best, learn from your failures, make adjustments, etc., you simply don't make it.

Example: Here are the Brewers top 20 prospects from 5 years ago, 2014.

1. OF Tyrone Taylor= Sad Story, AAAA type player.

2. SS Orlando Arcia= Over-hyped, fringe MLBer, Alcides Escobar 2.0 career likely (still hope for more)

3. LHP Kodi Medeiros= Pending Sad Story

4. 3B Jake Gatewood= Sad Story

5. OF Monte Harrison= Pending, likely over-hyped

6. RHP Devin Williams= Sad Story

7. C Clint Coulter= Sad Story

8. RHP Corey Knebel= Successful MLB Reliever

9. RHP Jorge Lopez= Fringe MLB Long Reliever

10. OF Victor Roache= Sad Story

11. RHP Taylor Jungmann= Only made THE SHOW because of where he was drafted, Sad Story

12. RHP Johnny Hellweg= Sad Story

13. OF Kyle Wren= Sad Story

14. OF Michael Reed= Cup of Coffee

15. RHP Taylor Williams= Fringe MLB bullpen arm

16. RHP Tyler Wagner= Sad Story

17. RHP Marcos Diplan= Sad Story

18. RHP David Goforth= Sad Story

19. LHP Jarrett Martin= Don't even remember him, Sad Story

20. SS Yadiel Rivera= Sad Story

and so on...

And I'm not making fun of your post in anyway, BTW, just pointing out how difficult it is to make MLB, even as a hyped-prospect.

Verified Member

Yep. Gaining a spot starter/possible bullpen asset that's at least better than the Burch Smiths of the world for nothing isn't much to get concerned about. This isn't going to stop a larger move if they find one they like.

Is he better than Burch Smith? I'll be curious if he's claimed.

Easier to get angry though.

This is a good and overlooked point.

Quick hits:

-People are way overreacting about the not signing Lyles regret. The guy was here last year to eat innings and not even close to sniffing the playoff roster.

-Lyles has been garbage all month, and his overall 2019 numbers have reverted to career norms, which are bad. They'll come he pitches like he did in April and May, expecting to get one more (better) starter and dump him from the rotation when Chacin and/or Woodruff return. Low risk because,

-Trading Ponce is not a big deal. We have four or five decent bullpen arms in AA (and now AAA, since Williams moved up). He would also have had to be added to the 40 next year.

-We don't have the patience to have Diplan on the 40 for two more years in hopes he figures something out. He's probably likely to clear waivers as it is.

-Rankings are meaningless - even plugging the rankings of his employer, I'm not sure how McCalvey doesn't feel like he needs to take a shower after Tweeting than Diplan is our #21 prospect, yet NONE of Lazar, File, Zavolas, or Bettinger crack the top 30.

Rumors out of New York - Jason Vargas being traded from Mets possibly to Brewers.

Phillies, in fact receive Vargas.

Vargas is about as useful as Lyles, but way more expensive. So I suppose Lyles makes somewhat more sense for the brewers than Vargas.

2. SS Orlando Arcia= Over-hyped, fringe MLBer, Alcides Escobar 2.0 career likely (still hope for more)

5. OF Monte Harrison= Pending, likely over-hyped

6. RHP Devin Williams= Sad Story

7. C Clint Coulter= Sad Story

8. RHP Corey Knebel= Successful MLB Reliever

9. RHP Jorge Lopez= Fringe MLB Long Reliever

10. OF Victor Roache= Sad Story

11. RHP Taylor Jungmann= Only made THE SHOW because of where he was drafted, Sad Story

12. RHP Johnny Hellweg= Sad Story

13. OF Kyle Wren= Sad Story

14. OF Michael Reed= Cup of Coffee

15. RHP Taylor Williams= Fringe MLB bullpen arm

16. RHP Tyler Wagner= Sad Story

and so on...

Perfect post!

And the reason why I'm not going to invest much time caring about anyone but the top 2 or 3 guys in the minors. Almost every player in the system (and everybody else's system) is destined to make virtually no impact in MLB.

The Brewers must think they can turn him around - otherwise, they wouldn't have gone for him.

Excellent point. If we are giving up nothing, its most likely to get a bad pitcher or one who has been bad recently. Given that, I'd prefer we get a known quantity- someone hopefully our coaches have watched tape from the last few starts and feel like they can work with.

Believe it or not, at 28 years old, Lyles is only 3 years older than Ponce anyway.

Just sucks that this seems more like a desperation move than like a "we're going for it" move. lol

Verified Member

... ...

and so on...

Perfect post!

And the reason why I'm not going to invest much time caring about anyone but the top 2 or 3 guys in the minors. Almost every player in the system (and everybody else's system) is destined to make virtually no impact in MLB.

Yeesh. Things are looking fairly similar these days, although the MLB roster is in FAR better shape with lots of young talent.

The hype, etc on Diplan really is a sad story. Had a favorable ceiling for awhile..

It is a sad story. However, it's one that happens to about 90%+ of a teams "top prospects".

There are only a limited number of MLB jobs and if you are not the best of the best, learn from your failures, make adjustments, etc., you simply don't make it.

and so on...

And I'm not making fun of your post in anyway, BTW, just pointing out how difficult it is to make MLB, even as a hyped-prospect.

I didn't take offense at all to your post. But it brings up a pretty good conversation though I think. Given this list and its accuracy across almost all organizations - as a rule with few exceptions - shouldn't you ALWAYS be dealing from your prospect lists below about #10 on your list for known commodities then? I know there are a lot of factors, etc but if you can get cheap/usable/reasonable MLB talent for an unknown commodity (and for this argument's sake, a likely non factor commodity)...

Seems like a Ponce for Lyles trade is a good once simply on that principle, even if Lyles ends up pitching only 30ish meh innings for us this year. Getting major league ball players for non major league ballplayers.

It’s just too bad they ended up giving away a player, to reacquire someone they released. That being said, they needed a starter with only Anderson and Davies healthy, so it may be the best option they could get today, and at least the team isn’t giving Wilkerson another shot

Please tell me who you are cutting from the opening day pitching staff so that you may pay Jordan Lyles $2.5 million dollars.

Either Barnes or Williams. Both had options. Also would have made the Alex Wilson experience unnecessary.

If you foresaw Knebel and Jeffress getting injured during spring training, requiring the need for the Alex Wilson experience, I'd like to know what Wednesday's Powerball numbers are. Split it with you, 60% you, 40% me.

Pirates were like one more bad start from DFA'ing Lyles and Brewers give them a decent AA arm? I thought Stearns was hard at work?

With the Brewers heading to Oakland, Stearns has been devoting most of his energies towards getting a Khris Davis reunion trade worked out

Archived