Brewer Fanatic

Jordan Lyles is Back! (Cody Ponce is gone; Diplan DFA'd)

Jim Bowden

@JimBowdenGM

Jordan Lyles #Brewers 3 of last 4 starts has allowed 7 runs or more. vs #Cubs on 7/4 gave up 10 hits 8 runs. vs #Cardinals on 7/24 knocked out after 1.2 IP giving up 7 hits and 8 runs. Opponents hit .277 with 9 HR vs 4-seamer and .306 vs slider. Last 5 GS 11.50 ERA.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They didn’t give away talent. They gave away a guy they probably had no interest in having on the 40-man roster next season.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Giving up a player for someone you willing let go 7 months ago...sheesh.

OK so first of all everyone that has said this so far (and will continue to on this thread)...

Put yourself in December 2018 mindset. Assume that you at least understand the acquisition of Claudio. Remember that you had high hopes for Burnes.

Please tell me who you are cutting from the opening day pitching staff so that you may pay Jordan Lyles $2.5 million dollars.

I'll hang up and listen.

Taylor Williams? Jacob Barnes? They both pitched game #2 of the season. Its just a bungle of the roster. I don't care that they let him go (even if I disagree with it based on who replaced him), but to then give away talent to get him back is silly.

This is seriously the strangest hindsight "the management is screwing stuff up" anger I've really ever witnessed. There are reasons (no options for Lyles to give necessary flexibility) and the fact that he's been probably about as good as Williams over the bulk of the season to suggest very plausible reasons and a "meh" thought but people just love to get mad...even when the results end up suggesting it probably didn't affect the Brewers.

Community Moderator
Taylor Williams? Jacob Barnes? They both pitched game #2 of the season. Its just a bungle of the roster. I don't care that they let him go (even if I disagree with it based on who replaced him), but to then give away talent to get him back is silly.

The acquisition is underwhelming in my opinion, but if the front office believes he makes the team better and it is one of their best options based on current alternatives, then they certainly shouldn't let a past roster move dictate current decision making.

The Brewers reportedly nearly acquired Mike Minor in the off-season. The cost to get him now will almost assuredly be higher, but does that mean they shouldn't do it if they believe he is the best option/value now? I think a good front office isn't going to allow past decisions to have a significant influence on current ones.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Right type of deal

Don't like the target

Cody has looked very good as a RP in AA this year. But its a 40 man crunch guy who is rule 5 eligible. You either call him up into the pen next year (and I think we have a few guys who are better options) or you flip him as a low level trade chip.

I'll cross my fingers about Lyles, but this is the type of trade I wanted to see done a few times at the deadline if we bought.

I'd have preferred calling up Wilkerson and letting him start but whatever. They don't want to go to Wilkerson, they don't want to pull Ponce into the MLB pen next year. (cuz he can't be an Albers type?) Not my ideal move but rule 5 filler for a body is the right idea.

So you're one of the 3 people on that thread that were trumpeting his great start and suggesting the Brewers really messed up.

Great start? Dude had an ERA under 4 through the end of June, 13 starts. He's been obliterated in three of his last four starts to be sure, but it's not like he's been bad since April or whatever it is you are implying by "great start."

And, I thought the Brewers should keep him as a reliever, so it was actually surprising to me that he was a)starting for the Pirates, and b)being so successful at it.

I thought it was a mistake not to pick up the option, still do. I also don't care that much either way about it so it's a bit entertaining that others are so worked up.

cant wait to get more miles out of my shirzy!~

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

lock threade.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

In both of Jordan Lyles last two starts against the Cubs on July 4th and 13th, he gave up SEVEN (7) EARNIES!

But like they say, the third time is the charm!

So you're saying he's nearly as good as Zach Davies!

"Counsell is stupid, Hader not used right, Bradley shouldn't have been in the lineup...Brewers win!!" - FVBrewerFan - 6/3/21

Exactly the type of deal I expected. With limited resources and a lot of holes, you have to make a couple of deals like this to try to improve with a low cost. There's room for maybe one significant deal, but I think there will be another deal like this (or two) to add another fringe pen arm and starter for very little.

Archived