Brewer Fanatic

Padres Trade Brewing?

Yates has been connected to lots of teams and I would suspect the demand for him would be really high.

Of pitchers with at least 40 innings pitched this year, Yates is #1 in ERA, #1 in FIP and #3 in xFIP. Hader slightly edges him in xFIP...but just to give an idea of how dominant Kirby has been, you could double his ERA and FIP and both would still be less than what Hader has posted.

I think Kirby will very likely be valued at 4 WAR for the remainder of this season and next and will probably make about 8 million over that stretch. 4 WAR x 9 = 36 million - 8 million in salary = 28 million in surplus value.

Normally I would say the Brewers would have to include Turang, but with the Padres looking 100% set with shortstop prospects...Turang probably doesn't have as much value to them as he would to the Brewers and other MLB clubs. Turang to San Diego doesn't seem like a greatest fit.

I very much doubt that the Padres are looking at Grisham to play CF as the scouting reports all say LF, LF, LF and LF. Padres may very well have interest in Grisham, but unlikely that it would be as an immediate center field plug-and-go (unless they are just willing to play out the string with mediocre CF defense for the rest of this year).

I don't think there is a deal to be made for Kirby. Maybe if San Diego still have a really high regard for Corbin Burnes....then maybe Burnes plus another top 4 or 5 prospect plus another solid role-player prospect. Burnes + Lutz + Supak? Maybe if they still really like Burnes.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noah and Grisham to Padres

Grandal, margot and Morejon to Mets

Ramos and Yates to Brewers.

You have the Mets giving up a pretty decent controllable catcher and one of the top starters on the market and receiving a rental catcher, a #4 type OF, and a minor league pitcher who shows promise, but nowhere near TOR. I'd love the trade if I was the Padres and Brewers. The Mets would be getting royally screwed.

:rolleyes :rolleyes

You think maybe it's just possible that some teams are looking at the former 1st round pick who's overhauled his swing and exploded this year just a bit differently than you?

Noah and Grisham to Padres

Grandal, margot and Morejon to Mets

Ramos and Yates to Brewers.

You have the Mets giving up a pretty decent controllable catcher and one of the top starters on the market and receiving a rental catcher, a #4 type OF, and a minor league pitcher who shows promise, but nowhere near TOR. I'd love the trade if I was the Padres and Brewers. The Mets would be getting royally screwed.

:rolleyes :rolleyes

You think maybe it's just possible that some teams are looking at the former 1st round pick who's overhauled his swing and exploded this year just a bit differently than you?

Mets receiving Margot

Then again the top 4 outfielders are pretty much set in Milwaukee through at least 2020. So where is Grisham going to play in Milwaukee before 2021? It’d be cool to keep him but I doubt he ever is a regular starter for the Brewers given their OF situation and desire to compete for playoffs.

Then again the top 4 outfielders are pretty much set in Milwaukee through at least 2020. So where is Grisham going to play in Milwaukee before 2021? It’d be cool to keep him but I doubt he ever is a regular starter for the Brewers given their OF situation and desire to compete for playoffs.

You deal Gamel and have Grisham as the 4th OF. Honestly, if the power surge is real, then I think Grisham is a middle of the order masher as opposed to leadoff hitter.

I really hope we don't trade Grisham. He really seems like he will be the heir apparent to Braun, with no other obvious choices in the system at this time.

No....so many were sky high on Corey Ray after last year too...what happened this year?? If Grisham can get you a controllable starter, you do it every single time. You can always find OFers.

You deal Gamel and have Grisham as the 4th OF. Honestly, if the power surge is real, then I think Grisham is a middle of the order masher as opposed to leadoff hitter.

Huh? What do you think you're getting back in return for Gamel? Grisham is significantly more valuable in a trade which is why he's the guy that's being mentioned and not Gamel. Need big bait to land big fish.

In 2020 the rosters expand to 26, so they can keep a 5th OF. I could easily see a soft platoon with Braun to help Grisham get acclimated to the majors and set him up for success. Braun will miss enough games where Grisham will get plenty of PAs, and I could see the Brewers moving on from Aguilar and have Braun play a handful of games at 1B too.

I really hope we don't trade Grisham. He really seems like he will be the heir apparent to Braun, with no other obvious choices in the system at this time.

No....so many were sky high on Corey Ray after last year too...what happened this year?? If Grisham can get you a controllable starter, you do it every single time. You can always find OFers.

Don’t sell Ray short yet he’s had a lot of injuries this year the talent. Still there he has to start staying healthy and limit his is Ks.

Ray's year last year was such much different and worse than Grisham's year this year.

He could be up in September for us and on the bench next year. With injuries to Braun/Cain/Yelich bound to happen, he plays next season.

Community Moderator
What about this one?...

Brewers receive: RP Kirby Yates (from SD); SP Zack Wheeler (from NYM)

Padres receive: SP Noah Syndergaard (from NYM); CF Trent Grisham (from MKE)

Mets receive: 2B Luis Urias (from San Diego); SP/RP Freddy Peralta (from MKE)

The Mets owners would run the GM out of town on a rail if he made your trade. Syndergaard and Wheeler for Urias and Peralta??

The Brewers would get Yates and Wheeler for a reliever (Peralta) and an OF who is not in the top 125 top prospects.

As noted earlier it would probably take additional pieces, but I don’t think the general construct of it from a value standpoint is as crazy lopsided as you are making it out to be. If anything the Padres are likely getting the short end of the deal as presented. The Padres probably do need to receive another player from the Brewers to make the deal work.

Urias and Syndergaard have value that is in the ballpark of being equal to one another. I would personally give the edge to Syndergaard, but prospects seemingly have an all-time high valuation right now, so Urias may very well be considered the more valuable of the two.

If we’re going to take Rosenthal’s report at face value that the Padres have expressed interest in Grisham, that’s certainly notable. I don’t think teams are working off top 100 lists, and their player/prospect evaluation tools are likely light years ahead of anything that is publicly available. They are looking for players they believe can provide impact to their organization. There may very well be organizations that value Grisham higher than any other prospect eligible player currently in the Brewers farm system. And for the “that’s not saying much” crowd, I don’t think the top of the system is nearly as god awful as it’s being portrayed.

As far as the “reliever”, I think 5.5 years of Freddy Peralta, whether it be as a reliever or eventual starter, is certainly more valuable than two months of Zack Wheeler coming off of an injury referred to as “shoulder impingement”. I think people are going to be a little surprised (and Mets fans likely disappointed) at what Wheeler ultimately nets in return.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

I don’t see Grisham being moved unless it’s for a guy under contract for multiple years. Even for Yates, I wouldn’t be comfortable moving on from Grisham. But that’s just my opinion. If we are open to moving Grisham, I would prefer him being moved for a starter we would have for 2.5 years or more.

He could be up in September for us and on the bench next year. With injuries to Braun/Cain/Yelich bound to happen, he plays next season.

Grisham should be starting everyday in LF next year. Braun should be a bench player at this point. Grisham is making a mockery of AAA right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Grisham should be starting everyday in LF next year. Braun should be a bench player at this point. Grisham is making a mockery of AAA right now.

Can’t imagine what Braun would be doing to it then. #RyanBraunForever

"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Exactly. Any AAA stats should be taken with an enormous block of salt this year. I love that Grisham has seemingly started to figure it out, but let's slow our roll a bit on making room on his mantle for an NL MVP award.

Exactly. Any AAA stats should be taken with an enormous block of salt this year. I love that Grisham has seemingly started to figure it out, but let's slow our roll a bit on making room on his mantle for an NL MVP award.

Especially considering that the guy being benched already has a NL MVP award.

A couple of things:

First, no team wants to call a former first round pick up to the majors to get sporadic playing time as and for their first taste of the major leagues. So with Braun, Yelich, Cain and Gamel all under contract in 2020. Grisham isn’t going to see much playing time until after 2020 unless they have multiple lengthy injuries to their outfield.

Second, can we stop the talk of benching Braun? His OPS is hovering around .800 and he’s 4th on the team with 15 homeruns. I think he gets criticized because at 35 years old he’s not the same player he was 2007-2012 anymore. The reality the Brewers might just luck out and wind up with Braun being reasonably productive for the entire length of his contract.

Back to the topic at hand, if the Padres are willing to part with pitching in exchange for Grisham; I’d make that deal yesterday

Archived