Brewer Fanatic

Padres Trade Brewing?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kirby Yates? Controlled through next year but is like 32 years old so it shouldn't cost the farm. Only other reliever that seems to be doing ok after quick glancing of stats is 35 year old Crag Stammen. I didn't dig on starters as I thought they were all young and therefore controllable (so why would SD get rid of). I could easily be wrong on that though

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'd be cool buying low on Dinelson Lamet. He's coming off of Tommy John and is controlled through 2024. Not sure I'd want to give up Grisham for him though.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Kirby Yates? Controlled through next year but is like 32 years old so it shouldn't cost the farm. Only other reliever that seems to be doing ok after quick glancing of stats is 35 year old Crag Stammen. I didn't dig on starters as I thought they were all young and therefore controllable (so why would SD get rid of). I could easily be wrong on that though

Brewers could be targeting one of those young starters if Grisham is headed that way...SD has more pitching coming down on the farm, so they'd likely be willing to listen on some of those youngsters if they thought they had better arms not too far off (or they were going to go get Thor)

Strahm has been a lefty stud reliever in the past and is now a passable starter. If you trade for him then you have flexibility moving forward and could be the lefty out of the pen in 2020 that they thought Claudio could be this year.

I'd take my chances on a Lauer type guy. Competent now, still controlled for years, young with upside. Maybe they have a 40 man crunch coming too so need to move guys. Yates/Lauer combo helps the team a lot and wouldn't think it would cost the farm.

Strahm has been a lefty stud reliever in the past and is now a passable starter. If you trade for him then you have flexibility moving forward and could be the lefty out of the pen in 2020 that they thought Claudio could be this year.

I could be wrong but I don't see the Padres giving up on him. He was expected to be a pretty big piece for them going into this year. One iffy year would not suggest they should sell him, IMO.

Community Moderator

Brewers could be targeting one of those young starters if Grisham is headed that way...SD has more pitching coming down on the farm, so they'd likely be willing to listen on some of those youngsters if they thought they had better arms not too far off (or they were going to go get Thor)

It has surprised me how bad Logan Allen was after how good he looked against the Brewers. They have since sent him back to Triple-A.

It would be great for the Brewers to get back to their [sarcasm]Canadian roots[/sarcasm] by making a play for a young starter like Cal Quantrill, but I would be surprised if San Diego was willing to trade him.

Yates makes sense. He is a player I've been a little wary of continuing his success, but he hasn't shown any signs of regression to this point.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Sounds like Trent Grisham might be going bye bye.
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

Community Moderator

Padres and Mets have been linked as being in trade discussions.

Mets and Brewers have been linked as being in trade discussions.

Brewers and Padres have now been linked as being in trade discussions.

An off the wall idea, but maybe these teams are working on a three way trade of some sort?

Noah and Grisham to Padres

Grandal, margot and Morejon to Mets

Ramos and Yates to Brewers.

What good does Grandal do the Mets? At least with Stroman they have him for next year. Other than maybe some salary chopping that part doesn't make sense.

True

Community Moderator

What about this one?...

Brewers receive: RP Kirby Yates (from SD); SP Zack Wheeler (from NYM)

Padres receive: SP Noah Syndergaard (from NYM); CF Trent Grisham (from MKE)

Mets receive: 2B Luis Urias (from San Diego); SP/RP Freddy Peralta (from MKE)

What about this one?...

Brewers receive: RP Kirby Yates (from SD); SP Zack Wheeler (from NYM)

Padres receive: SP Noah Syndergaard (from NYM); CF Trent Grisham (from MKE)

Mets receive: 2B Luis Urias (from San Diego); SP/RP Freddy Peralta (from MKE)

Your suggesting the Crew deals away 2 players (Grisham and Freddy Peralta) but gets 2 back in Yates and Wheeler..

Does that even get close on Baseball Trade Values trade evaluator??

Archived